1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

For the regular season, the Rockets are at worst a top 6 team in the NBA.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Apr 15, 2014.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

After everything is said and done, even accounting for our late season injury/falling apart/whatever you want to call it, the failed TT experiment, everything. Take it all together, and the Rockets finish the season IMO #5 in the NBA, but at worst top-6.

1. Spurs
    2. Thunder
    3. Heat
    4. Clippers
    5. Rockets

And you can put Pacers above the Rockets if you don't believe in their 2nd half debacle.

At least for the regular season, this year has to be considered a big success. Playoffs? We'll see.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree! But we all know Regular seasons don't mean a damn thing.

When youre top 5 or 6 in the league (which we are) seasons are measured on Playoff success. The season will be success a couple of wins in the second round.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It is pretty amazing how well this team played overall this season when you factor in the injuries and the Asik tantrum. That said, this team has to be at 100% and get an extra boost of luck to get by the real contenders.

I would say regardless of how the playoffs turnout, this season has been a success. A deep playoff run sure would be a nice stepping stone to truly contending next season.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think those top 4 teams you mentioned are in tier 1 (Lebron, Durant, Paul being the only tier 1 players in the league). Houston is in tier 2 by themselves, Indiana fell out of it, but they have tier 2 capability.

For me, I'd have the Pacers at the top of tier 3 right now, followed by just about everybody else in the west and 1 or 2 east teams.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, NBA regular season success is incredibly indicative of playoff success. You can have a successful regular season and fail in the playoffs(more so in the west because it's so stacked). But you can't succeed in the playoffs with a crappy regular season record with rare exceptions.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Top 6 is nice and all, but you need to be top 1 in order to win the title.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You can be top six at the start of the playoffs as long as you are top 1 by the end.

8. FEAR THE BEARD

I agree with this. Being number 5 is good and all, but we need to show we belong in top 3 starting this weekend. PLAYOFFS BABY!!!!!

9. makio9

makio9 Member

Interestingly, 3 out of the 4 other teams you mention the Rockets might have to face. 2 of those teams the Rockets will likely face.

10. RocketStream

RocketStream Member

At worst? Nice. How about at best?

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

A top 6 in the regular season is a success? Regular season is done. Playoff is the time. I measure success by how much chance do we have at winning it all.

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Sucks that 4 of the 6 are in our conference.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Many of us predicted about 53-55 wins and the team achieve that mark, so the regular season has been a successful one.

I think Morey really does believe that a 3rd superstar is needed for, dare I say, multiple championships. In that respect, he kept the now famous flexibility open. How else could one think when we objectively look at our bench, and that is only two guys you could sort of count on in Asik and Lin?

It is what it is. Because of the weak, and undependable bench play, McHale is going to have to shorten the rotation, which it might have happened anyway. With games in between days, the starters can and will play heavy minutes, and with a short rotation this could really work THIS YEAR.

14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Touche! :)

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We are #4 in the West. Only the top 2 teams go to the conference finals.

So if that's an indication, that means it's second round exit. Didn't we do that in 2009? And we did it with a starting lineup of

Brooks
    Artest
    Battier
    Scola
    Yao (Hayes after Yao went down)

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Since I don't really follow any NBA team besides the Rockets, the answer is YES. I do think the regular season has been a great success. You are right that in the grand scheme of things, this may not be a big deal. Spurs fans probably would scoff that I care about having 50 win seasons for my team.

But as someone who have watched 4 straight years of 9th seeds and 8th seed, I do like the fact that we have homecourt this post-season, with a chance to advance.