1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For JVG and GM: develop a plan to play V-Span

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tsl99, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Northside Moss

Uh...not knocking on you personally, but generalizing that way is pretty stupid. Just look at Darko Micilic and tell me if that man has a higher bball IQ then any American PF not named Stromile Swift.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It isn't a Chicken or Egg situation. V-SPAN has not produced when given opportunities. Parker and Ginobili did. You have to earn playing time when you are on a good team like the Rockets or the Spurs. If he played for the Hawks V-SPAN could be played as much as you like, but the Rox are trying to win ballgames, and trotting out a turnover machine that can't shoot is not conducive to that goal. Maybe with more work over the summer V-SPAN will learn how to shoot and/or pass, but right now he is simply not a good option.

3. arbpro

arbpro Member

To compare the work ethic of Yao with that of Bonzi only glaringly demonstrate your desire to deride JVG about anything. Yao has been in the gym everyday, showing up 2 hours early, during his rehab. When Bonzi showed up for training camp he was 30 pounds overweight and rather than working hard, he disappeared for weeks to tend to "personal problems" and "dental work." So if you got somebody who shows up out of shape, makes no effort to get in shape, do you reward them with playing time? But hey, why let the FACTs stand in the way of your lust to badmouth JVG?

4. arbpro

arbpro Member

Yao, the BEST player in the NBA returns to the Rockets, and what do the board geniuses like DD talk about? Well, of course, about Billy. Yeah, wasting time fretting about playing time for the 12th guy on the bench certainly is more crucial to the fate of the Rockets than Yao Ming. It will be interesting to see whether JL or VSpan goes on the inactive list. Would going on the inactive list shut all these wacko, "VSpan is the answer to all the Rockets woes," nonsense? Probably not.

5. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

when it comes to that comparison i have 2 words 1 person... Larry Brown

when Rasheed, Ben, Rip, and Chauncey had to speak out against his bashing of a rookie trying to get accustomed to the way the game is played in the US... i dont know about you but Larry Brown other than the one championship and him managing to get the 76'ers to the finals that one time he hasnt really showed me much especially in his mishandling of the Knicks roster last season.

6. Northside Moss

...Reagardless, Darko's just an example and him getting bashed by Larry Brown has nothing to do with the fact that 1) he's a Euro, 2) he's an athletic freak and 3) he has little bball IQ, which all disprove your generaliztion.

I'm sure if I looked into it, I'd find a lot of athletic Euros and a lot of bbal-intelligent Americans...but I just don't feel like it :/.

7. OddsOn

OddsOn Member

Did you watch ths Spurs game when V-Span played the entire fourth quarter with most of the starters in the game? Man he looked bad, blocked shot from behind, pass into the fourth row from across the court, pass to Snyder in the corner that was so off target Snyder hit the deck trying to grab it almost hurting himself....I think this is why he is riding the pine for now. :cool:

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He looked awful in that game, but the game before he looked great....

Gonna have ups and downs......with him....but the ups will be increased and the downs lessoned the more he plays.

DD

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Wait, so you come into a V-Span thread and bash me for talking about V-Span?

You sir, are a DD hater, get yourself to a doctor stat !

DD

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Possibly.

But that's worth dropping down to the 7th or 8th seed and a first round date with the Mavericks or Suns to get there? And don't give me the "he can't be worse than what we have" - he can be, and he has been.

Not worth it to me, and not to the Rockets. To you, maybe.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You know we just don't know for sure do we? I think that it would not cost the Rockets any wins if he is playing 8-10 minutes a night, and you think it will.

That is the difference in our arguments and not something that will be resolved.

DD

12. Patience

Patience Member

Good Gravy, these Spanoulis threads have long lives. Yao Ming is coming back tonight, people!

At least for one night, I have to say: "Who gives a crap about Spanoulis!"

edit: (I know I am "whining," DD. Plus I realize that by posting in this thread, I am keeping it alive. I couldn't help myself. Sorry. :) )

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No PATIENCE, huh?

;)

DD

14. eaglewu

eaglewu Member

Whoever still think Span need get minutes is totally blindmind. Span is the last person need to be on the court. Period.

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

VSpan-threads like this are going to be alive and well unless Yao retracts his early statement that VSpan is a Nash on this Rockets team. :p

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

The difference is that I have stats to back mine up, as well as affirmative visual evidence (watch most of his performances in a Rockets uniform):

Houston Rockets

NET points/100 possessions

Spanoulis ON -0.8
    Spanoulis OFF +5.9

FG% .322
    EFG% .364
    3PT% .204
    A/TO 1.0

PER 5.5 ( :eek: )
    Roland Rating -8.9

And you have only blind faith and hope that he will magically get better.

His stats make Rafer's off nights look palatable by comparison. So tell me how he makes the team better now? The only reason you have is because you say so. Not valuable.

17. arbpro

arbpro Member

And who, except for the simpletons, and that would describe you, would start a thread about the teams 12th man?

18. 2rings

2rings Member

Agreed. He's just not ready yet. His 12 minutes v. the Spurs just substantiate. Trust me, I wish he was ready because Rafer and Head (as back-up PG) leave a lot to be desired. Maybe next year if he gets his head on straight regarding what it will take to be successful in the NBA vs. successful in a couple of games vs. NBA players using international rules and works his tail off. The shot and general decision-making have me concerned though. Here's hoping I am dead wrong.

Sidebar: When did Head turn into such a bad passer / turn over machine? His last 5 have been horrid not just in terms of TOs but costly, ill-times TOs late in the game. Good thing the kid is such a clutch shoort.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Hmmmm,

Every time I have used stats to show VSpan should be getting minutes, somebody always wants to shoot it down by saying he hasn't played enough minutes for those stats to mean anything. VSpan haters can't have it both ways. If you can't use VSpan's stats positively, then you can't use them negatively. After all, he is playing garbage minutes with a bunch of scrubs, most of those statistics are derived while he is playing the 2 guard, and most of the time the ball is being dominated by JLIII running down and jacking. Also, if you gave Rafer Vspan's minutes, his statistics would look about the same because he has nobody to throw the ball to.

You can't have it both ways. Either we use the stats or we don't. I'll make my argument either way. You want to pull out percentages, go check what percentage of the time Rafer draws fouls compared to VSpan. Go look and see that we are the least fouled team in the league and shoot less free throws than any other team in the association. Yeah, we take care of the bball. We make sure nobody touches it, because we jack up shots instead of being aggressive and getting to the hole.

I just hope all you VSpan haters are still here when Rafer throws up a 3 for 17 performance in the close out game of our season as our opponent forces the ball out of McGrady's hands and doubles Yao in the post and we get 6 free throws for the entire game.

I've got plenty of stats and visual evidence as well that we should be developing Spanoulis.

20. Sextuple Double

Vspan might be McGrady back home and Steve Nash in China. But on this board, he's Jordan.