1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] #1 UT vs. #6 TTU

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by flipmode, Oct 26, 2008.

1. flipmode

flipmode Member

Texas vs. Texas Tech @ Lubbock.

The Throwdown at Cowtown,
    The High Pains on the High Plains,
    Desert Storm in Football Form,
    the biggest game to hit Lubbock ever.

Predictions, smack, and general panties-in-a-wad discussion here.

Knee-jerk prediction:

in overtime,
    Texas 52
    Tech 45

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Texas's line is so much bigger....Tech will score...but I look for Texas to wear them down.

Texas 52
    Tech 37

DD

3. Landlord Landry

I'm worried, but I don't know if I should be.....OSU>Tech.

I want...

Texas 47
    Tech 28

more likely...

Texas 52
    Tech 45

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Texas should win because they have all the better recruits, etc...But Tech can win against anyone at home..hopefully it will be a great game, I'll be there. Tech's defense can magically turn into a great group when they want to.

I'm gonna go for:
    tech 35
    texas 21

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Tech 35
    UT 17

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Tech will be our toughest test yet. They will get their points.

It will be up their defense to slow down McCoy enough to win.

56-42 Texas

7. flipmode

flipmode Member

17?!

Tech's defense is really that much better than OU or OSU?

8. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

home field advantage can truly do wonders

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Opening line was at Texas -4, has since moved to Texas -6.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If UT brings their "A" game, Tech doesn't have a chance. But they have to play the game. I'm gonna guess the close contest with OSU will help UT focus and take care of business 55-38.

Crabtree is a beast. He could have a monster game. If UT can get pressure on Harrell and knock him around some, things could get ugly.

11. Matador

Matador Member

Lubbock is going to be bananas! Goal post WILL be ripped to the ground (unless they have the retractable posts now :p )

TTU 48 (I missed PAT by the contest winner ;) )
    UT 35

12. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

tech hasnt been tested yet, I'm expecting a beatdown on the order of the missouri game

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

First, change the title to #1 1st Tier Public Ivy vs #6 West Texas Community College.

On to the game.

1) Graham Harrell is the most easily rattled QB in the Big 12. You hit him a couple of times and he starts unraveling. Crying to the refs, pouting on the sideline, throwing INT and blaming it on his recievers, etc... Basic all around little b-tch.

2) Tech has no running game. It's better than in years past but still no running game.

3) There OL line up in splits like Mizzou. So we'll shoot the gaps and lay some wood on the Graham.

4) Tech has no TE. Unlike our previous opponenets, whos TE gave us fits and forced double coverage, this Tech team has no Coffman, Grisham, or Petigrew. Safties will be free freed up.

5) The Tech offense is predicated on timing. Jam their WR and have the LB play the underneath routes while the DL goes after Graham. Also, it's important to tackle them. Very important!!!!

7) Texas' defense is built specifically for spread offenses. We have quality CB with the height and speed to keep up with Techs WR, plus a DL that can rush the passer without blitzing.

8) Did I mention that Tech has no defense. Nevada, Nebraska, A&M. All these teams played them close for a half or more. In Nebraska's case they took them to OT after dropping 21 in the 4th quater. Like I said no defense.

9) Texas' offense can eat up the clock which is exactly what you need to do to beat Tech.

10) This is the biggest game in the history of Tech with a shot a winning the Big 12 South. Will Tech bring it or will they wilt underneath all the pressure. Texas' on the other hand has played three straight pressure games. The country already knows how we respond.

11) Colt freaking McCoy

Final Score

Texas 35
    Techtards 21

#13 percicles, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  14. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I was waiting for your response.
    wouldn't expect anything less from the most pompous UT-homer to ever live. :D

15. RedRaiderRocket

This is a tough one. I think Tech wins 49-38. Tech has the best offense in college football, and will expose Texas young secondary. While defense it will make enough stops to give us the win. Our offensive lineman could be best in the country. Our running game is good enough to keep Texas honest. Going to be a fun game.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can't wait for this game should be a classic -- let's hope for a shoot out.

Texas 42

Tech 30

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

You forget that about that Brian Orakpo kid.........anyways, I think you might actually be able to score more easily than us because we mainly ran the ball while you guys are a lot more consistent in the passing game and might be able to take advantage of their young secondary more than we did. But I think Texas's O-line will be the first true test for you O-line so far.

Btw, I know your O-line has only allowed 2 sacks so far, but its not the best in the country Lmao. OU, I hate to say it, but is perennially the best. But I think you guys have a chance to hold them off long enough to complete some passes, especially with that crazy passing system of yours.

Anyway, here's an objective rankings of the O-line (preseason rankings):
    http://cfn.scout.com/2/781531.html

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'm going to go with Tech winning this one. I wouldn't underestimate the environment in Lubbock, and Colt looked pretty mortal this past weekend....at home. Tech will win, then get stomped by OU, and we'll see Alabama beat Penn State for the national championship. book it.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The ultimate wild card in this game is that it's in Lubbock, and anything can happen in that environment. Otherwise, I don't see what Tech brings to the table that we (Mizzou) don't. It's the same spread system -- similar quarterbacks, similar big-play receivers, similar running backs, and even similar splits in the offensive lines. In fact, we tend to do it a little better -- it's why Mizzou beat Tech 41-10 last season and 38-21 in Lubbock in 2006.

I also think it's a more favorable matchup for UT than Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State causes problems because of their balance and their ability to gash you with the run out of that spread. Tech's offense is like Missouri's, in that it thrives on attacking you horizontally and essentially using WR screens as a run play. It's not what Oklahoma State had most of its success doing Saturday.

With that said, Missouri's offense did come alive against Texas. The question is, did they struggle early and recover in the second quarter because they settled down and finally matched Texas' intensity, or was the Texas defense playing relaxed because they were up 28 points? As a Missouri fan, and with the likelihood of Mizzou playing UT again, I hope Tech shows it was the former. But I wouldn't bet on it just yet. The similarities between Tech and Mizzou run too deep for me to pick Tech, at this point.

20. RedRaiderRocket

Brian Orakbpo is a man amongst boys on the line, trust me I did not forget about him. I think he is the best DL in the country 2nd to none. I agree they will be our first true test but I don't think that is really saying much since the big 12 has pretty weak defenses. I expect them to blitz, but we do an excellent job of picking it up. Harrell though gave me some worries earlier in the season has a very quick release. I should of said one of the best in the country, I don't care if you throw as much as we do and only allowed 2-3 sacks so far this season you are doing something right, plus we are 12th in the nation in yards per carry, and I believe #1 in yards per play. Got a lineman who benches 625. I don't know I wasn't really comfortable until I saw last weeks game. If we play like we did against Kansas we will win, if not Texas will probably beat us.