1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Food] Cereal placement in grocery stores..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Apr 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids! In a study of 65 cereals in 10 different grocery stores, Cornell researchers found that cereals marketed to kids are placed half as high on supermarket shelves as adult cereals—the average height for children’s cereal boxes is 23 inches verses 48 inches for adult cereal. A second key finding from the same study is that the average angle of the gaze of cereal spokes-characters on cereal boxes marketed to kids is downward at a 9.6 degree angle whereas spokes-characters on adult cereal look almost straight ahead.

http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/op/cerealeyes

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Its called being a parent. Tell your kid 'no', don't blame the grocery store for where they place their products.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd be shocked if grocery stores DIDN'T arrange it this way. They're trying to get in front of the people who have influence over the purchase decision.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Agreed. :eek: Quit your excuses for bad parenting and letting your child rule you.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Growing up I lived 2 houses down from a man that was an executive at a local chain of stores. His son and I were friends and we had a similar discussion about how stores made money. One of the things we talked about was a study I had read. It detailed how stores set up there shelves according to what makes more money for them. Products that they make more profit off of are placed in easier to reach areas, less profitable products are placed on bottom and top shelves. HEB for example will put HEB brand and Hill Country Fair brand products on the middle shelves, while some of the name brand products are placed at the top and bottom. My friends dad pretty much confirmed this and said they absolutely do that at their stores.

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

This isn't news. I did a paper on this subject for a macro-economics class 25 years ago.

Also - The two most popular items, milk and bread, are on opposite sides of the store. Toys are hung from hooks on the cereal aisle. Magazines are at the checkstands because you are standing still. There are many of these tricks.

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

^^^^ Agree!

________________.[​IMG]________________

If this doesn't work alone, then say it while your spouse is holding her "chancla" in her hand...:eek:

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Did they have to do a study? Couldn't they have just asked some execs what the practice is?

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

In other news, water is wet.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How awkward and sheepish are Americas Parents now a days?

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

just toast your own muesli

12. SuraGotMadHops

No wonder I have to reach down to pick up my Smacks.

13. Summer Song Giver

They put the milk on the opposite sides of the store from the cereal for the sole purpose of making you walk through the entire store for both knowing you will make other purchases along the way.

I just made that up.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

One of the 'funnest' classes in college I took was basic marketing. The whole course was covering things like this.

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's about the press and publication.

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

They place flowers near the entrances to convey the idea of "freshness" as you walk into the store.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They put the cash registers near the exit so that you don't have to pay in the back of the store and then have to walk all the way through it again to leave. True story.

19. SacTown

SacTown Member

Yes this isn't news but you nor your kids should be eating sugar filled gluten cereal for breakfast. That is a sure fire way to start your day with low energy and brain fog.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I prefer to start my day with brain energy and low fog. It's a good combo.