1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fifth generation stealth fighter (J-20) from China

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by stonegate_archer, Jan 7, 2011.

1. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/07/j-20-stealth-chinese-fighter-jet-footage-surfaces-video/

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/05/j-20-stealth-fighter-jet-5-facts-about-chinas-new-stealth-plan/

J-20 Stealth Fighter Jet: 5 Facts About China's New Stealth PlaneJan 5, 2011 – 12:58 PM
    .Text Size Print this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on LifestreamTorie Bosch

The buzz on the Web today is all about leaked photos of China's new military toy, the J-20 stealth fighter jet. Both military enthusiasts and China observers are intrigued by the J-20 and eager for details.

Hard information is difficult to come by, since there are conflicting reports out of China on what might be the country's first fifth-generation fighter. Here's what we do know about the new stealth aircraft:

Photos posted online appear to show a prototype of China's first stealth fighter jet.1. It's still being tested
    The prototype J-20 was allegedly tested today on a runway in central China. It still has to be tested in the air, but observers think that that could happen soon -- maybe even Thursday.

2. China seems to want us to know that they have it
    Pictures allegedly showing the J-20 were apparently leaked to some Chinese media this week, either by authorities or by people who sneaked in to see the plane. But it hardly seems like a coincidence that this news comes just ahead of U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates' visit to Beijing, scheduled to begin Sunday.

3. It will be years before it's operational
    This is just the first J-20, and it could be a long time before they work the kinks out and others are made, skeptics say. Some even think that the plane shown in the pictures is just a mock-up. It could be 2018 or even later before the plane is ready to be deployed.

4. It's bigger than the U.S. stealth planes
    From the pictures, it looks like the J-20 may be larger than the U.S. stealth planes. Some speculate that that would allow it to carry more and fly longer. But it probably still won't be able to compete with the F-22 Raptor, the United States' fifth-generation stealth plane.

5. It's part of China's new military
    The country has apparently been investing heavily in new military equipment so it can remain competitive with the United States and Russia. According to reports, China has an aircraft carrier in the works and is also developing anti-ship ballistic missiles.

------------------------------------------------

Seems set to fly shortly. Discuss. I don't follow military development that much and would like to see some educated comments on this. Why is it so important and what the impact will be if it is real and become the part of the air force in a few years.

#1 stonegate_archer, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. stonegate_archer

Can someone move this to Hangout for me? Seems a better fit there.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I think any thread with even the slightest possibility of debate will turn disgusting

See: NBA in India thread

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How can they call that stealth? I can see it perfectly in the videos.

Silly Chinese government....

DD

5. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

They need true Ahmerrikan stealth.

[​IMG]

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The US should take the leash off of Japan.

edit: just so China and Japan could have an arms race. I'd like to see Gundams in my lifetime.

#6 Ubiquitin, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  7. stonegate_archer

I see, unfortunately that is the way we are......

I will spend my engergy in the Church thread instead.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It is huge. It is not flying.

9. Bandwagoner

Japan has over a hundred of these

[​IMG]

10. stonegate_archer

Which fighter is it? Is the red dot their national flag? What does it take to build these fighters?

11. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

They're American made f-15s.

12. Bandwagoner

Japanese made F-15J actually.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That is a big ass fighter plane -- the Russian engines certainly aren't stealth.

14. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

I remeber discounting your assertion that China was about to take the next step as a technological power a couple of years ago and would rival the US in aerospace...you were right Cheetah.

I was listening to NPR last night and the defense guru was indicating that this design could be at least as effective as anything the US has far as stealth capabilities.

15. Bandwagoner

Well that guru is an idiot. Par for the course for NPR I guess.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Personally, I find this matter hardly a big deal militarily speaking that China's military budget isn't close to ours. Nor can they possibly catch up in terms of navy/air-force superiority within several decades.

Probably of more importance is that their R&D of high end technology. Something they really lack compared to other top nations in the world.

Which begs the question of whether there should be a similar topic on this subject. After all, doesn't it remind you of

[​IMG]

17. Ender00

Ender00 Member

Is that a Macross? I want to see some oversize robots next :grin:

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

18. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

We should be very terrified, according to fox news.

[rQUOTEr]China's New Fighter Jet Could Pose 'Terrifying' Challenge to U.S. Fleet
    By Jana Winter
    Published January 07, 2011 | FoxNews.com
    While the Pentagon downplays China’s rollout this week of what appears to be a jet fighter designed using sophisticated stealth technology, military experts are warning that the aircraft – reportedly capable of besting America’s F-22 in speed and maneuverability – could pose the greatest threat yet to U.S. air superiority.

Decorated Navy fighter pilot Matthew “Whiz” Buckley, a Top Gun graduate of the Navy Fighter Weapons School who flew 44 combat missions over Iraq, says, “It’s probably leaps and bounds above where we are, and that’s terrifying.”

“As a former Navy fighter pilot, going up against something that’s stealthy, highly maneuverable and with electronic systems more capable than mine -- that’ll keep me up at night,” said Buckley, now chief strategy officer at Fox3 Options LLC.

Buckley said photos posted online of the radar-evading Chengdu J-20 jet fighter lead him to believe the aircraft has great stealth capabilities, based on what appears to be a bumpy exterior possibly housing stealth technology, and the lack of external components, such as a gas tank and missiles.

“It was built to reduce radar signatures. You can tell it has some serious stealth technology,” he said. “My F-18 looks like an 18-wheeler on radar. That thing might not even show up.”

The U.S. military's current top-of-the-line fighter is Lockheed Martin's F-22 Raptor, the world's only operational fifth generation fighter. In 2009, Congress capped production of F-22s at 18, relying on the cheaper F-35. Congress does not appear to be reconsidering the cap, which experts call the only real challenger to China’s J-20.

Richard Fisher, a senior fellow on Asian Military Affairs at the International Assessment and Strategy Center, a Washington-based security think tank, says Chinese officials have said that their program is aimed at competing with the F-22 Raptor.

“From what we can see, I conclude that this aircraft does have great potential to be superior in some respects to the American F-22, and could be decisively superior to the F-35,” said Fisher.

Fisher in particular pointed to the Chengdu J-20’s stealth technology and ability to super cruise, or fly supersonically without using fuel-guzzling afterburners. He said it has super maneuverability due to its thrust-vectored engines that allow for sharp turns.

And while the J-20's engine is still in development, Fisher said it's supposed to deliver 15 to 18 tons of thrust, more powerful than the F-22.

“This fighter will likely start entering service in serious numbers by the end of this decade. The Chinese can accelerate this event by purchasing new Russian engines and settling for a lesser capability,” Fisher said.

Experts say it’s hard to say exactly what the J-20’s capabilities are, especially in a fire fight -- but offered a dire prediction: “With China having a fifth generation fighter, the U.S. will lose F-22s faster than previous estimates.”

As for the J-20 pilots, Fisher said the Chinese Air Force has over 500 fourth generation fighters and is making pilot training a priority.
    “China's air training capabilities have increased greatly over the last decade, to include multiple levels of aircraft, better simulators, and more realistic air combat exercises. They will be able to train pilots for their fifth generation combat force,” Fisher said.

Buckley says the U.S. has moved in the opposite direction, dramatically reducing flight-time training for its fighter pilots, choosing instead to use cheaper flight stimulators.

Limiting F-22 production could prove a grave mistake, Fisher said.

Referring to the J-20 photos -- and a new video of the fighter taxiing on a runway -- Fisher said: “There is now every justification for us to be building modernized version of F-22 and to consider capability enhancements for the F-35 that preserve its competitiveness into next decade."

The next generation joint strike fighter is supposed to be the F-35, Buckley said, which is built for use by all services and must encompass the specific and different needs of the Navy, Air Force, Marines.

“When you try to make a jack of all trades, you have tradeoffs,” Buckley said. “It’s obvious that the Chinese are throwing money and technology to making something the best, and here we’re worried that one is going to bankrupt the country.”

“We used be No. 1 at having the leading technology. ... Now, we’re kind of in catch-up mode, where we’ve never really been before.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/0...ose-terrifying-challenge-fleet/#ixzz1AQPtvsTg [/rQUOTEr]

19. Bandwagoner

They were both manufactured by Mitsubishi.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The data on that MiG is inaccurate.

[​IMG]