1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite/Best Mom/Pop shops in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 15, 2013.

1. VanityHalfBlack

love mom and pop shops, they have a uniqueness about them that you don't get at other establishments, it could be the things they sell/look or just the people working there but most importantly they exist in your city with open arms. Please list or tell the fine folks @ Clutchfans the best mom/pop shops in Houston that are still in business and which ones to seek out.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/momandpop.asp

Definition of 'Mom And Pop '
    A colloquial term for a small, independent, family-owned business. Unlike franchises and large corporations, which have multiple operations in various locations, mom and pop shops usually have a single location that often occupies a physically small space. The "shop" could be any type of business, such as an auto repair garage, bookstore or restaurant. "Mom and pop" can also refer to inexperienced investors who play the market casually and do not rely on trading to significantly supplement their income.

Audio/Video Plus- They still sell VHS!!!! VHS I tell you, rare/outlandish crazy films you've never heard of.. They even have old skool 80s p*rn!!!!! They are only open through email invitation invite and they have a sale every other week. So this is for the old skool tape heads looking for that analog nostalgia feel.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Lankford Grocery

3. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

One that I recently discovered is Little Jimmy's Deli, great little place. If you go, be sure to get your sandwich with the Jalapeno bread.

4. VanityHalfBlack

I really hate going to a store/restaurant and see customers nitpicking/complaining. Some of these folks who have a **** day release and flush all their anger and frustration out on people working at these establishments.. People are just the absolute worst when it comes to these sorts of things and you see videos all over youtube demonstrating this type of behavior. At a mom/pop shop it's a little different. Sometimes.

5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

On Waugh? Um, that place is close!

6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

A+V plus is closed down!

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

D&Q Mini Mart has the best beer selection in the city.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

cali's sandwich in midtown. awesome vietnamese food and the lady who runs it reminds me of the type you see in movies, chatting up the customers and yelling orders to the staff.

9. da1

da1 Member

I like Pizza King, Capri Pasta, Fabio's Fresh Pasta. It's nice to be a regular.

10. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Antonini's Deli on HWY 3 near Nasa. The best peppercorn cheesesteak's ever. The guy is from Delaware that owns it and has been there since I was in Houston last. (about 10 years ago) He remembered my name when I came in years later.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Pete's Burgers in Kingwood/Porter.

The owner is always there working the phone/register and making sure everyone is satisfied with their meals. He employs a lot of local high school kids and the walls are covered with pictures of all the little-league teams/school organizations he's sponsored over the years.

I love patronizing places that support the local community.

By the way, the burgers are top notch, TOP NOTCH!!

[​IMG]

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Luigi's Pizza is another great midtown mom and pop place. Not only delicious pizza but their prices are lower than a lot of other places that serve the same sized pie. Their calzones are only 7 dollars which is what they should be, not freaking $11 bucks like you'll see anywhere else.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

There's a pizza joint on Walnut Bend on the left if you're traveling from Westheimer to Richmond. It's between apartment complexes before the Richmond stoplight. back in the 90's (and maybe early 00's) it used to be called Pizza Pizza (so good they named it twice). I think some Middle Eastern dude owned it... it had some good pizza.

I don't know if it's still under the same ownership now or not.

15. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Hank's Ice Cream near Reliant. The best "home made" ice cream you can find. Their banana pudding ice cream is pretty amazing

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Greek Tony's Pizza in The Woodlands.

17. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Capri Pasta seconded.

I would like to add Da Vinci's Ristorante in Cinco Ranch too.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Sqeelers xxx videos. Wife is always very nice, and the daughter takes good care of the viewing booths.

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

The Mekong Restaurant and Mekong Grill in Cypress are both excellent. They used to be owned by the same group, but I believe they split off. Same menus, though! They have those excellent bahn mi sandwiches for cheap. I'd also recommend all of the China Inn Cafe's in Houston (three in Cypress, one in Katy). Their food is excellent. I've worked at several of the locations and can vouch for the quality of their service and cleanliness, and they're all owned by one guy.

20. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

how about 1/4 price books. Great selection of old books :cool: