1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Farenheit 911

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, May 14, 2003.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

From the Houston Chronicle - Bowling for Columbine director Michael Moore, who called President Bush a “fictitious president” in his controversial Oscar acceptance speech, has landed a deal with Walt Disney Co.’s Miramax Films to make a movie that is likely to generate even more heat for the documentary filmmaker. Fahrenheit 911 – the title marries the date of the hijackings to the title of Ray Bradbury’s dystopian novel Fahrenheit 451 – will look at the alleged links between the families of Bush and Osama bin Laden, the Islamic militant accused of plotting the Sept. 11 hijackings. Some groups are already riled over the deal. Conservative Web site Free Republic (www.freerepublic.com) calls the project an “attack film on Bush” and urges boycotts of all Disney products. A source close to Miramax says the company is undaunted by the threat.

---------------------------------------------

Moore's comments at the Oscars did not bother me a whole lot (even though I felt he was grandstanding). I was hoping some of the political pundents here could give some of us some insight into the alleged Bush/bin Laden link.

As far as this documentary, after Moore's twisting of the truth and facts in Columbine, he better do this right and not embelish. I don't think Dems or Repubs will be happy with anything less.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

all these big conservative companies are stifling free ideas!

3. Band Geek Mobster

Good luck with that...

4. johnheath

johnheath Member

The Bin Ladin family has disowned Osama.

Daddy Bin Ladin owns one of the largest construction companies in the Middle East, and he is hugely successful. He has had business dealings with many American companies. The fact that one of his 50 + children is public enemy number one should not reflect upon his father's business deals in any way.

Michael Moore's reputation as a documentary film maker will be ruined if he tries to tie the Bush family to Osama Bin Ladin. This attempt to defame the Bush family will be transparent, and will be rejected soundly, in my opinion.

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Michael Moore makes me sick.

That's the only words I can think of when I read about his projects.

6. codell

One thing I forgot to add in my opening post. I do find it quite dispicable for Mr. Moore to use the darkest moment in modern American history to further his political agenda.

7. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Was this sarcasm? I was thinking, I've heard that quote about Bush.

8. codell

No it wasn't. I am not aware of a quote similar to mine about Bush.

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Free speech has to be privately funded, or earn no money at all. Because the only weapon that Conservative right has on free-speech is "boycott," ala Dixie Chicks.

And you can't boycott something if it's not making money in the first place (or doesn't have a source you can attack).

Liberals can "boycott" too. So, it goes both ways. That's why companies never have an official slant or "point of view."

The only point of view companies have is "profit," i.e. we'll take anyones money regardless of race, creed, political alliance, or gender. Heh...

#9 DavidS, May 14, 2003
    Last edited: May 15, 2003
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I used to kinda respect Moore. Then the bar lowered a little with those comments about Bush. Now the bar has fallen to the ground. Here's my comment to "Mike": IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE COUTNRY, GET YOUR FAT BUTT OUT!!!

And judging, by his works, he doesn't like the country.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

How about, "if you don't like the country, do something to change it!"

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That might be good, but I don't think I'd like his idea of changing our country. His idea would probably turn us into a communist type country. If he set up our country, he would throw the ten ammendments out.

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

Moore strikes me as the type to value the Bill of Rights, his critics on the other hand seem to be the opposite.

14. codell

I have to admit, this is exactly what Moore's intentions are (political affiliation aside, this is not a bad intention to have).

A couple of things about this concerned me though (and for the record, I do support Bush):

1) I am very curious to learn of the release date. Would anyone else be suprised if the release date coincidentally close to the 2004 Presidential election? Close enough that by the time the documentary is out for a few weeks, that the election will be over and Bush supporters will have no time to refute any inaccuracies that Moore stipulates in his film (a la Bowling for Columbine)?

2) While its clear what Moore's motivation is, his linking of Bush to bin Laden with 9/11 as a back drop serves only as a medium through which Moore will help Joe and JoAnn Citizen directly associate/blame Bush for 9/11 as a whole. I think Moore wants people to think of Bush when they have the negative emotions about 9/11. To me, that is B.S. If he wants to do a documentary about the bin Laden and Bush family relationship, then why does he have to use 9/11 as a back drop? We all know who bin Laden is and we all know he is responsible for 9/11.

3) As I mentioned earlier, I think a boycott of Disney is harsh and wouldn't work anyway. However, as johnheath said, Moore's reputation is on the line here. But he better do it right and not cust, paste and embelish like he did in Columbine. Its one thing to attack Heston and the NRA. Its a whole new ballgame when trying to directly link our President with the man responsible for the darkest moment in modern American History. I would hope that Dems and Repubs alike will accept nothing less than cold hard facts here.

PS - Clutch, while it was not my intention to turn this into a debate (I was originally just curious as to the details on the Bush/bin Laden link), I am sure this thread will head there. I apologize for not posting this is the new debate forum. :D

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

you mean like starting a war no one wanted
    so his friends can get paid on the rebuilding, upkeep, and
    various other means???? While hopefully helping to get
    himself reelected? Which also happen under suspicious
    circumstances .??

Rocket River

16. dischead

dischead Member

You guys just dont want to belive that Bush is a bad guy even if he is. Why not wait and watch this documentary beforfe you flame it.

There is still so many unanswered questions about 911, somthing fishy happened here.

Some of the hijackers are still alive. How does this work?

No fighter planes were sent to pursue the way out of course aircraft, like they are surposed to.

When bush was told about the incident, he kept reading childrens books for 30 mins to a school class.

17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Moore's Bush/bin Laden Remarks Snope'd

As usual, Moore's case is built on both outright inaccuracies and facts taken grossly out of context.

18. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Excerpt from the article...
    So, to summarize:

No flights took bin Laden family members out of the USA "two days" after the September 11 attacks. The flights Moore decries took place a week after the attacks, and they left only after the FAA had allowed regular passenger air travel to resume.

Bin Laden family members were not allowed to slip out of the USA "over the objections of the FBI" or before the FBI had an opportunity to "interrogate" them, as nearly every news account of these flights mentions that the FBI questioned the departing Saudis, grounded their planes, and supervised their departures.

The flights which carried bin Laden family members back to Saudi Arabia were not "secret," as the press reported on them within days of their occurrence. (One could hardly expect that either the U.S. or the Saudi government was going to provide the world with advance notice about the departure of planes carrying people who had good reason to fear for their lives.)

I think Moore hides behind the terms documentary and art so that his "investigative journalism on film" can't be readily rediculed.
    Do I think Bush is shady? In the words of DeNiro... "little bit".
    Do I think he was linked up in some shady deals with terrorists? Nah, Probably not.
    Do I think anyone who investigates government officials should choose truth over sensationalism? Definitely, no matter what official it is that is being investigated.

19. johnheath

johnheath Member

lmaorofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, the irony.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wrong Forum

[​IMG]