1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy baseball with a slight twist

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Xenon, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

The concept is simple. I want managers to have some connection with their fantasy baseball teams. Last year I had managers choose their home team and then placed every player from that team onto their roster. The remaining players were then drafted based on the previous seasons records. ie. Yankees got last pick. It was 3 picks per round and message board based with 24 hours between rounds. Surprisingly this league was not unbalanced. A manager with the Padres was in contention late into the season. While the Yankees manager was way behind by the all star break and quit playing.

So, with a 2nd go around with this concept I am opening another league with some fixes for some of the problems that occurred last season. Those changes will be to make the league head to head (to keep the league competitive longer) and draft the remaining players based on preseason team rankings. ie. ESPN rankings. Last seasons records is not the best way to gauge a team for this season. The Astros would be a team in decline and the Tigers would be a team on the way up based on off season transactions. This will fix the problem of managers jumping on teams that are lower ranked than they should be.

I'm looking for around 12-16 managers. The league will most likely be 5x5 based with a minimum innings pitched per round. I will post further details on the league message board as managers join up. Remember only 1 manager per team so reserve your team. Once a team is picked all those players are off limits except via trade. Btw, the Astros are taken. :(

League id=6848
    password=superfun

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

In with the Yanks.

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Sounds like fun. I'll play as the Marlins.

4. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

I'll take the Zephyrs.

5. Xenon

Update time.

Ok. Good showing from the clutch bbs. The teams that are reserved now include...

Astros
    Yankees
    Braves
    Marlins
    Red Sox
    Cubs

As you can see lots of teams still left. Remember the best team isn't assured of the best fantasy stats, especially when the message board draft begins. There will be tons of quality players on the teams not selected and the lower "ranked" teams will get first shot at them.

6. cuttino

cuttino Contributing Member

This could be alot of fun....or bitterly difficult, if the Cards performance levels fall back from last years overachieving.

I'm a homer & would have taken the Astros, but I'll have to settle for the bad guys from St. Louis. At least I know I'll be following them this year, via the Astros.

7. Xenon

Last season has shown that it won't be very difficult. A teams performance will still largely depend on how they draft.

8. Xenon

Hey folks got a slight problem with the league.Everyone that entered the league needs to rejoin the new league that I posted on the message board.I tried upgrading the league to fantasy baseball plus using the link on the main league page, but instead I get a completely new league. Freaking idiots at yahoo. So, join the new league and I will probably delete the old league or convert it to a normal rotisserie league.

9. LonghornFan

I can't find this new league. I entered in the password and ID# you provided to us on the league message board, but I keep getting this message;

There was a problem:
    • This league is not registered in this game. (Error #272)

:confused:

10. Xenon

Everything's fixed now. Wow, they respond quickly to feedback in the plus leagues. The old league is upgraded to plus and the new league has been erased.

11. LonghornFan

Wow. Let me be the first to thank you for the upgrade! What a courteous gesture on your part. This looks to be a very unique and entertaining league.

Now I can't wait to draft last.

:)

12. Xenon

Fadeaway you're up. Post your picks on the league message board and if necessary drop 2 players keep your roster size to 30.

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

ok

14. Xenon

Fade you're up again followed by Cuttino.