1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fairly odd, Rockets 3 best players all rejected by their previous teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 3, 2012.

1. meh

meh Member

Just finished watching the Atlanta game, and I realized that the Rockets core are made up of discarded pieces of other teams.

Asik: The Bulls could've kept Asik. They had to give up Gibson or amnestied Boozer. They chose to let Asik go.

Lin: The Knicks signed gazillion old guys for like $3-4mil a piece instead of keeping Lin. And ended up making up a bunch of BS about fiscal responsibility that they ever showed before ever.

Harden: When OKC had a decision to make, they chose Westbrook over Harden. They chose Ibaka over Harden. Heck, they even chose to let Harden go instead of amnestying Perkins. And even beyond that, there was still a chance... except they chose "financial flexibility" over Harden.

I love our core, but it's interesting that this core that we have such high hopes are a bunch of rejects of other teams. Really give the team an underdog feel to them.

2. torocan

torocan Member

The Expendables. ;)

And in theory isn't that what Morey is supposed to be great at? Finding undervalued prospects with upside and stealing them away?

His reputation is certainly not hurting right now... seeing alot of posts on other team forums bemoaning that their GM's aren't rebuilding smartly like Morey...

Of course, it's still early. But the seeds of Potential are there. :grin:

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Does this not work with all non-rookies? If a player did not get "rejected" by his prior team (by trading him, cutting him, or not retaining him in free agency, he would still be with his prior team, no?

4. mirus

mirus Member

Yep,Clutch made a good observation on blog on Harden's debut.

All 3 teams,namely has luxury tax concerns

5. mirus

mirus Member

Funnily enough,harden ,asik & lin are stat geeks wet dream.

6. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

I wouldn't call them rejects. :)

The new CBA makes things very financially difficult for teams... not just the luxury tax, but lack of flexibility.

Morey is just sneaky about exploiting the situation.

7. meh

meh Member

Not really. Most recent significant players that changed addresses belong in the "pressured into being traded" group, meaning they would've stayed if their original team thought they could retain them. This includes Melo, Howard, DWill, CP3, Superfriends, etc.

8. meh

meh Member

The scenarios I mentioned all took luxury tax into account. NY/Chicago/OKC all could've sacrificed other players to keep these guys. They simply chose not to.

9. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Bulls owner is very cheap. But I think they made the right decision. Asik would be too expensive for the limited minutes he played with them.

James Dolan is bat**** crazy. The end.

OKC -- well, that's a head scratcher. I would have amnestied Perkins before trading Harden.

10. mirus

mirus Member

Good point.Like OKC could have amnesty perkins,and knicks do have the stretch provision if lin doesn't work out for them at year 3.Well ,one team lost is another team's gain :grin:

11. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

2004 Pistons!

Too soon?

12. torocan

torocan Member

True dat.

As a Knicks fan, I can honestly say I've learned to never underestimate the ability of Dolan to make boneheaded moves.

The funny part is they would have happily matched 5/5/9/9, but 5/5/15? Oh no! Suddenly we're all about saving a buck!

13. mirus

mirus Member

I dunno.. guess they think vets are more "reliable"?look at all the offseason moves...they can use stretch provision on $15m ,and 1st 2years 5m is good,even if lin is used as a 6th man.

14. BamBam

BamBam Member

The only one I really have disbelief for is how could NY let
    Lin go? I mean the guy is a cash-cow/walking gold mine.
    Harden and Asik just were undervalued by their teams......

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The difference between Morey being a genius and him being an over-rated stats geek who doesn't get the intangibles? Presti giving us Harden.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Give credit to Morey and his team. Morey sees value where others don't. I don't think it's just stat geekdom. The guy understands basketball pretty well. Glad he is our GM.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

it applies to rookies too, unless they were picked #1 overall and never traded.

One way or another, this league is full of rejects.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

That is a great observation by the OP. They are all playing like they have something to prove. More often than not players get stop & lose that edge and focus. But that won't happen with these guys.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Why is it Presti "earns" his the distinguished way, but Morey has it "given" his to him?

Morey actually gave away Jeremy Lin, and got him BACK. Presti isnt getting back Harden.

I'd actually apply that criteria to Kevin McHale as a coach. The difference between McHale being mediocre and servicable is Harden on his roster :eek:

20. Matt78777

Matt78777 Member

reminds me of when Utah stole Boozer from Cleveland and Okur from Detroit and quickly became a much better team. Goes to show, if you're going to throw big money at free agents, go after young guys who can still get better and need more light to shine. My question is, who's next?