1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facebook has banned the entire world from getting Australian news content.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Feb 17, 2021.

1. TheresTheDagger

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a private entity didn’t like the rules a country was requiring them to have so they walked away from the table. One of these parties also has more power so they can ride it out.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. HROZ

HROZ Member

Correct play by FB

Google just caved and paid out Rupert who owns more than 60% of Australian newspaper content.

Just another example of media/Murdoch blackmailing politicians with positive media coverage in exchange for more money.

cheke64 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

You skipped a key part of the facts....

Facebook has banned the entire world from getting Australian news content ... on their privately owned Facebook platform because the government required it.

Facebook doesn't have the power to ban the world from getting Australian news content.

DVauthrin, Deckard, Rudy and 5 others like this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

i bet you can fb message someone a link

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

At first I thought you were talking about FoxNews which is owned by an Australian... for which I thought .... good.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL trumpers...

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum
    Does NewFoxFan know that ? I did
    But I’m a 99er. My knowledge of the world and universe is vast
    @Ziggy

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We're in that age where Facebook can bully Australia, basically.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

an explanation of what's going on with FB/Australia

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2/2021/02/17/facebook-bans-australian-users-reading-sharing-news/

excerpt:

Facebook points to concerns voiced by Tim Berners-Lee, the creator of the World Wide Web who says what Australia’s law would do is create a fee associated with a hyperlink.
    This site argues that Facebook is doing more than proving links, it is taking headlines, experts and sometimes photos from stories which then get shared to readers. But even if that’s true aren’t these still elements of stories that the publishers chose to all readers to post on Facebook to garner further attention?

I don’t use Facebook a lot but I think I see how this would play out on Twitter. The Washington Post set up a Twitter account and regularly tweets out the headlines of stories complete with photos to alert people about the news and to garner readers. For example:

Should Twitter have to pay the Post for sharing this? The Post created the account. They chose to put the headline, a summary and a photo from the story on Twitter’s site. It was their choice, not Twitter’s so Twitter shouldn’t have to pay them for it.

Now take it a step further. The Post has a widget next to the story on their own site which allows readers to share it on Twitter (or Facebook). If I go there and click the link, it creates a similar looking tweet on my Twitter feed. Should Twitter have to pay the Post because I chose to share this story using a link the Post provided? I don’t think so. The Post could simply remove the link if they don’t want the headline and photo shared on Twitter. But clearly they encourage this because it advertises their work.

So if the U.S. passed a law saying Twitter had to pay the Post for each tweet mentioning this story, I can tell you what would happen. Twitter would delete the Post’s account and prevent anyone from sharing stories from the Post. That’s essentially what Facebook has done but in this case the block applies to all of Australia’s media. Zuckerberg is not allowing Australia to write a blank check off Facebook’s account.
    more at the link

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Clever move by Google imo, they don't need every news source covering the same story from 20 different angles, just go with a few big ones for coverage. If the rest play hardball and Australia insists they must be paid to be featured, just leave them out of news searches.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It started as a social media site. People sharing news on Facebook isn't necessary anyway. Go to the source for news.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Half my Facebook news feed is conservatives getting outraged at screenshots of an article headline that provides no link or source. Like it's literally a screenshot of a headline. Why post a screenshot of a headline when you can just click on the actual article? Then I find out half those articles don't exist. And the screenshot is the article as in it's abject fake news.

Blatz and deb4rockets like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Everytime someone posts a thread about Fa**b***k no matter what the topic is I start getting crazy ads, pop ups, and redirects -- this only happens when FB is mentioned as a subject. It's like typing FB in the subject line unlocks a secret code in the ad network to release high volume spam. It's really weird.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@tinman would likely advise you to pony up some funds as a supporting member and then you wouldn't get ads . . . just sayin' ;)

18. TimDuncanDonaut

A win for Australia. Can FB do the same for U.S.? FB didn't want to pay for the content that they're 'aggregating' *cough* stealing.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There you go pushing another narrative.:rolleyes:

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Clever move, but bad for competition. Somehow or some way, (aussie) journalism will get shittier.

saitou likes this.