1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Examining the Aaron Brooks Trade Market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 6, 2011.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

With the recent frustrations of Aaron Brooks boiling over into a suspension, I thought it might be a good time to examine his trade market. I mostly looked for teams that have a need at PG, have expressed interest in Brooks before, or are contending and could use a shot in the arm.

When I list the available trade assets, I mean it literally: available. We aren't getting Kevin Love or DeMarcus Cousins; those guys are untouchable. On the other hand, there might be some big time guys who could be had -- like Andrew Bynum. Without further ado, here's what I came up with:

Sacramento

Available Trade Assets Rockets Might Be Interested In:
    -Carl Landry
    -Jason Thompson
    -Omri Casspi
    -Donte Greene
    -Hassan Whiteside
    -SAC 2011 1st rounder

Sacramento has made no secret of their desire for Aaron Brooks. For some reason, they think Brooks would be a great fit next to Tyreke Evans. I have no idea why, as both players are best with the ball in their hands -- but that's their problem.

Looking at their roster, they seem to be stocked with an abundance of young talent. Of the ones listed above, I actually like Casspi and Thompson as having the most potential for us. With Battier possibly moving on this summer, Casspi might be a good fill in for our starting SF. Their 2011 1st rounder is also another intriguing option; although it remains to be seen if they are willing to include it in deals. Judging by the norm these days, it would be protected in some form.
    Lakers
    -Andrew Bynum

The Lakers have made headlines recently, just not the kind they would have hoped for. The public feeling seems to be that this team needs to make a move or risk falling short of their championship goal. (I just want to point out that I miss the days where I panicked over my team because we were only third in the West.)

I think it’s safe to say that Kobe, Odom and Gasol are immune to any trade talk; but I believe that Bynum could be available in the right deal. We all know – and I’m sure Lakers fans remember – how Brooks has killed the Lakers. I bet they’d love to have that kind of offensive firepower on their team. It might actually cost more than Brooks, but I think he could be the main piece of a Bynum deal.

For the Rockets, if you’re still reading, that means you haven’t died from the thought of having another oft-injured center. I fully admit that we would be taking on a risk – but it’s one I’m willing to take. Bynum, when healthy, is probably a top five center in this league. He would be a huge coup for the height-less Rockets to land, assuming he stays healthy. Big assumption... but one I think I’d be willing to swap Brooks to find out on.
    Timberwolves
    -Ricky Rubio
    -Corey Brewer
    -Michael Beasley
    -Wesley Johnson
    -Nikola Pekovic
    -Johnny Flynn
    -MEM 2011 1st (T14 Protected)
    -UTA 2011 1st (T16 Protected)
    -MIN 2011 1st

David Kahn, reeling from being unable to select two PGs in this past year’s draft, has expressed his interest in PG Aaron Brooks. So far, we’ve only heard that the disccusions involved Johnny Flynn and went no where. I’m not surprised.

But as you can see, Minnesota has a lot of intriguing prospects. I think Kevin Love is untouchable, but you might be able to pry Beasley away from them. With Beasley and Wes Johnson essentially sharing a position, I could see Kahn looking to possibly move one or the other. Of course, Rubio has been beaten to death – but another prospect that the Rockets were in love with before. As we’ve seen, they never stop going after those guys (Courtney Lee).

Another intriguing option is Pekovic – there was a rumor this summer that the Rockets wanted to sign him. He’s a thick center who could provide you solid minutes at the position. Not a star, or all-star, by any means, but he can be a solid rotation player at a big position of need.

For the tankers in the house, the Timberwolves also have a plethora of (possible) first round draft picks in this draft. If they wanted to re-enter the Aaron Brooks discussions and left Johnny Flynn at home, there might be a few matches.
    Blazers
    -Nicolas Batum
    -Joel Przybilla
    -Marcus Camby
    -Rudy Fernandez
    -POR 2011 1st
    -NOH 2011 1st (T7 Protected)

I was hesitant to put Batum on this list, as Portland has stubbornly kept him out of talks. What’s more shocking to me is the value that he’s been holding – I almost wonder if POR was the one leaking it to the media: “The Nuggets called, talked about Carmelo, but as soon as they mentioned Batum we hung up.” Yeah. Right. Anyways; Batum’s a young SF that we drafted to spite the Spurs. We probably should have kept him, but that’s old news. He’s got a lot of talent; extremely long, good defender. He can guard the 1 – 3.

Other than Batum and Rudy (another good young talent; but we have an abundance of SGs), the Blazers two big men could help fill a big need. Neither may be long-term solutions, but they at least help for defense for now. The Portland/NO first round picks would likely be in the late teens/early 20s range.
    Bobcats
    -Gerald Wallace
    -Stephen Jackson
    -Tyrus Thomas (currently injured)

Unlike the other teams so far, the Bobcats have established players available rather than young pieces. Gerald Wallace has been on the block for months and seems the most likely to be traded; how would he mesh with a reunion with Rick Adelman? With Rick Adelman’s contract running out at the end of the year, should that question even matter that much in Morey’s think process on Wallace?

Stephen Jackson would also be a nice piece, who could be a fixture at our SF spot. He’s a solid defender that can hit the open shot, take his man off the dribble and find others. It would be interesting to see him next to Martin; they would appear to have complimentary styles.
    Hawks
    -ATL 2011 1st rounder
    -Jamal Crawford
    -Marvin Williams

Atlanta is desperate for a point guard – Bibby is aging and Teague has not lived up to their expectations. Unfortunately, they don’t really have that much to offer.

Jamal Crawford is a lethal scorer that is everything we hoped Aaron Brooks would become off the bench. He’s shown throughout his career the willingness to accept a 6th man role and excel in it. He could be compared to the Bobby Jackson of Adelman’s old teams; offensive spark plug at the PG position. With his contract ending this summer, we’d have to convince him to re-sign –- but he could be a dangerous weapon off our bench.

The 2011 1st rounder is likely to be in the early-to-mid 20s; so, not that great. I put Marvin Williams on the list out of my love for the Tar Heels. Speaking rationally, he makes some sense – Battier is expiring and next-man-in is Chase Budinger; I think I’d rather take my chances defensively with Marvin. He gives our defense some more athleticism and length and is shooting a career high in FG% this year. Not someone you want around the arc –- seems to be more comfortable with the mid-range jumper.
    Cavs
    -Anderson Varejao (currently out for the year)

The only thing of value that Cleveland has is Anderson Varejao. With their fortunes once saved before with the bounce of a ping pong ball, I don’t think they will part with their 1st rounder.

Varejao fills a big need – unfortunately, Yao’s already filling that need: big man in street clothes. Varejao is out for the year. But. But trading for an injured player might not be such a bad idea. The point is to improve our team going forward and this trade eventually does that. Cleveland liked Kyle Lowry enough to sign him to the full MLE this summer; I think they would likely be just as interested in Aaron Brooks.

-------------

Could you envision the Rockets going after any of these players by dangling brooks in the discussions? Did I miss a team (or players) that you think could be in play for Brooks?

#1 LongTimeFan, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    8 people like this.
  2. jogo

jogo Member

AB is overvalued on clutchfans and he was prior to his recent crying episode. Other teams don't think he is worth as much as we would hope.

From the list, we have no shot at these players for just AB+fillers: Jason Thompson, Bynum, Rubio, Beasley, Batum, Pryz, Camby, Wallace, Tyrus, M. Williams, or Varejao. AB is tiny and really a SG; those players are a dime a dozen. Almost all of these players are bigs and are worth more strictly because of their size. This doesn't even take into account that they are better players than AB.

I think he gets traded for a player who is on C. Lee's level or so. Maybe a late 1st round pick, 20th+.

3. davidkconover

davidkconover Member

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6b9c4cz

my two cents.

brooks and jeffries to philly.
    artest to philly.

battier to la.
    brand to la.

bynum to houston.

why philly does it? brooks and artest give them a huge push towards the playoffs in the east and all it costs them is dumping brand's contract.

why la does it? folks are saying they can't win with current lineup. battier is a huge upgrade over artest in the triangle offense. brand also would be a great fit.

why houston does it? giving up brooks and jefferies for a young big man with promise is a no-brainer.

thoughts?

4. aicedo

aicedo Member

I think if AB does get traded Sac or Min are our likely trading partners. As far as the players involved, I have no clue what Morey has up his sleeve. He was always high on Rubio but that is all he would probably want from Minny and draft picks. And Sac, I don't think they have anything we would want other than Cousins but its clear Sac wants him for the long term.

5. Hball

Hball Member

What ever happens we have to have more players going out than coming in, that's why were in this position now with brooks we have too much depth at every position.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Great post.

I'll make my answer short, 3 deals in order I'd make from your post.

1. Varejao
    2. Rubio "OR" a pick
    3. Bynum, although his injury history with that contract scares me.

#6 mikol13, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  7. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I like Batum, if we can pry him away. I say we do it. Same with Rubio, but he seems to me like he could be a distraction.

AB is great but his horrible passing is killing us.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I REALLY wonder with Rubio struggling and with their recent inquiries on PGuards, if Ricky can be had on the somewhat cheap right now?

AB, Hill and JJ

for

Rubio and Pekovic

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Worst case scenario, he's a massive contract expiring just in time for the summer 2012 free agent class.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No. They will/should try to get the max out for Rubio.

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

What about Nene and Billips (off the bench)?

We'd probably have to include some expirings or a pick. Which I would do.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

My issue with them is Lawson. I can't see Aaron Brooks being a big bargaining chip with them when they have Ty Lawson waiting in the wings. They would be looking to get rid of Billups to free a spot for Lawson to get the lion's share of minutes. I don't think they'd want to take on Brooks just to have another controversy.

Ideally, that's exactly what they would do. But the reality of the situation is that he was the 5th pick overall several years ago and hasn't really increased his 'draft stock' any. If anything, it seems like his value is trending down. I don't think Minnesota is going to be able to trade him for as big of a talent as they once hoped he'd be worth.

13. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

Andrew Bynum is easily the best option here. If he stays healthy, morey will literally have solved 90% of the roster problems in one move and the team will be a solid SF(hope bud steps up) away from contention.

14. mikol13

Supporting Member

Yes I think it may be possible for the reasons you stated plus, Everyone knows Rubio doesn't want to play in Minnesota. Kaaaaaaahn may finally realize he needs to make a move regarding Rubio.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. mikol13

Supporting Member

Good point on the contract, I thought Bynum was signed through 2012/13 but I see it's a team option.

Expiring or not it's still another year with someone taking up significant cap space that leaves the C spot vacant if he's hurt. Still may be worth the gamble though.

17. Rockets_4_life

Good thread.. LTF

I have from those guys I would make a hard push for Beasley, even if you have to package Brooks with additional asset -(Ex; Budinger, Hill, Lee, Battier, etc.)- to get him!

I'm still a big fan of his talent and upside, despite the past controversy's surrounding him off the court..

18. blackistan

blackistan Member

It's funny how everybody believes that ab is bound to be traded

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

keep the man

hes a great player, but he's stuck in a bad mentality.

what are we going to get back for him anyways now that his trade value is at an all-time low?

this guy can be a great 6th man off the bench like bobby jackson was back in sacramento's glorious days.

unless we can get a bona-fide star back in the trade, I don't see why we wouldn't keep a former MIP on the rise.

I maintain, ala my sig, that Kyle Lowry is the ultimate point guard for the Rockets. But Brooks would be amazing as a 6th man.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has a chance to redeem himself,otherwise he will be gone.