1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Examiner] The petty tyrants in your shower

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is clearly in the pockets of Deep Showerhead. When Biden is elected I hope he can roll back the clock and slow the nation's showers back to a righteous trickle.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/editorials/the-petty-tyrants-in-your-shower

EDITORIAL

The petty tyrants in your shower
    by Washington Examiner, |

| August 15, 2020 12:00 AM

When President Trump objected to federal regulations of shower heads and when the Department of Energy this week proposed to undo President Barack Obama’s shower rules, Trump’s critics decried the actions as petty and the subject matter as too picayune.

But Trump's critics are the ones with a question to answer: If the flow of a person’s shower head is too petty to be deregulated, then how was it momentous enough to be regulated in the first place?

The story of how Washington got into our showers started in 1992, but the real action took place in 2010.

A Democratic Congress passed and Republican President George H.W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 1992, which dictated the maximum flow rates on “showerheads, faucets, water closets, and urinals.”

The law banned any shower head that allowed water to flow out at a greater rate than 2.5 gallons per minute (which comes out to 5.3 ounces per second) “when measured at a flowing water pressure of 80 pounds per square inch.”

This was an overreach. People pay for their own water. If a family wants a lower water bill, it can always buy a low-flow shower head. Why Congress thinks it has the authority to make showers weak is a question each "aye" vote back in 1992 should have to answer for.

But even this intrusion into the most personal moments of a person's day was not enough for Obama. He wanted to make sure that no showers, including those with more than one shower head, ever spat out more than that congressionally mandated 5.3 ounces per second. Obama could have accomplished this crackdown on multihead showers by pushing legislation to that effect through Congress, where his party controlled both chambers.

But outlawing people’s showers isn’t terribly popular, so Obama opted to use regulatory means. He rewrote the language to redefine “shower head.”

You may think you know what a shower head is. It’s a fitting on the end of a pipe that disperses water into a spray in your shower. But Obama’s Energy Department decided that the term no longer meant that. What you call a shower head, Obama declared, is now a “nozzle.” A multihead shower was now a multinozzle shower head. And thus, if each “nozzle” is pumping out the legal maximum of 2.5 gallons per minute, then under Obama's redefinition, you are taking an illegal shower.

Trump's Energy Department did not propose to change the 1992 law, as reporters are now wrongly claiming, but to revert to the 1992 law. And when reporters tell you that Trump “wants to change the definition of a shower head,” they are telling you half the truth. He wants to change it back to what everyone thinks it always was.

You may think the federal government shouldn't be tinkering with the definition or the flow of a shower head. We couldn't agree more, and that's why Trump's action here is the right one.​

RayRay10, tinman and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's funny how many times this article uses Obama's name. Like he was personally invested in controlling how people take showers.

The purpose of the regulation is to regulate water flow -- a public utility -- into the shower. I assume that was the intent when originally passed, and updating the regulatory language to close the multiple "shower heads" loophole seems perfectly sensible to me. Perhaps the OP or someone else who agrees with the editorial can explain why it isn't.

RayRay10, jchu14, CometsWin and 2 others like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

some of us are on wells that pump 30 gallons a minute endlessly. Give us back our showers.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That’s really too bad. I wish I could empathize, but the amount of water coming out of my shower head has not been issue for me that I can remember. Are there any numbers on the average water rate before and after these regulations were out in place? I’m curious what the savings have been and what the effect of deregulation will be in terms of water/energy consumption.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I guess we should make rules according to how the very few live. Sounds legit.

Ubiquitin and RayRay10 like this.
  6. IVFL

IVFL Member

I hear ya!

also, I just ate a big dinner and I am stuffed. This crap about people not having food is so stupid. I am full so everyone else must be just like me.

Ubiquitin, RayRay10 and CometsWin like this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This thread is a good reminder of why I’m invested in stocks involving the water supply. Trump’s fat ass needs water pressure but it Won’t wash away his sh**y personality unfortunately.

Ubiquitin, RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

[Russian Prostitute Times] The petty tyrants in your shower

KingCheetah and RayRay10 like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Andre0087 likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good. Safe water is a critical infrastructure and much of this country is in drought while many other parts are dealing with aging and poor infrastructure. Until those two issue can be addressed it is very important that we take water seriously including conserving it.

In my own field we've been doing a lot to save water and new plumbing codes are far more efficient about water usage.

durvasa likes this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

They need to go back and fix the gas can issue. These new cans aren’t worth ****. I bought a few 5 gallon jugs for my generator and I had to drill vent holes just to get the damn thing to work like it used to.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

deserves its own thread