1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ewing might be gone next season...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Mar 24, 2005.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Link
    OMG!!!! If Ewing is gone, who's gonna tutor Yao? If Yao's development stalls, it will be a disaster for us. Ewing's leaving = darkest day of Rockets' history. NOOOOOOOOOOO!

2. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

...i sense some sarcasm....

oh well good job Ewing; let's bring in Jabbar now.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Boohoooo!

See Ya!

Bring in any other center to teach..Jabbar would be nice to have...

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I would love to have Hakeem teach Yao, but any other center who can make Yao aggressive would be good.

Moses Malone anyone?

5. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

That weed head puffer can't be a mentor! Believe me, Yao won't absorb anything from thet super freak!:p

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Great news!

Why am I not surprised that the Knicks were trying to acquire Antoine Walker :D.

7. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

my preferences
    1-hakeem,
    tie=moses/jabbar
    4= smits since he has been compared to yao

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

How about Michael Jackson, if he moon walks they might not call a travel!

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hakeem would be ideal, but I remember reading something that he isn't interested.

I also remember Jabbar saying some nice things about Yao's game, he could really help Yao out with that hook shot. Also, Bill Russell also said some good things about Yao, seems interested.

No Smits.

10. DeAleck

Smits is a great great idea. With great tutoring from Yao, Smits might develop that low-post offense and become the next Yao Ming some day!

11. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

Man!:D :D :D :D :D :D

12. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

LOL

In order of preference.

caveat - Yao can already score and I feel we need to address his main weaknesses.
    Plus we have Deke (awesome shot blocker) who seems to be teaching Yao better defense like not swatting at balls just keep your arms up.

1. Moses can teach Yao how to rebound get position and hopefully become a lil more nasty.
    2. Kareem can teach Yao rebounding in traffic and how to use his height to his advantage. Yao with an unstoppable hook shot / sky hook / jump hook would be a monster. He would be able to get his shot off on anyone, w/ body contact and in traffic (double teamed / triple teamed)

J

13. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I don't think Moses is that much of a teacher, Yao might learn some stuff while pratice against him, but don't expect Moses have anything systematic for Yao.

Jabbar has been dying to be a coach for last few years. He has mentioned numerous times that he is interesting in coaching a big man such as Shaq or Yao. But I heard he has shown a huge temper problem when he was coaching a minor league team. I guess there must be a reason why no team has add him to their coaching stuff yet.

#13 LegendZ3, Mar 24, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

What's Hakeem supposed to teach Yao? How to jump and fake 30 times faster than Yao is physically capable? And he'd move BACK to America to do this? PIPE DREAM. (Pun!)

If Jabbar or any of the other names being bandied about in this thread had any *real* interest at all in coaching, they'd be DOING IT already.

15. WyoRox

WyoRox Member

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ralph Sampson was interested in teaching Yao.
    He did have great skills at one time and he is 7'4", I just don't remember him being much more aggressive than Yao already is.

Just thought I'd throw it out....

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Bring Bill Walton to work with Yao this summer, he did it for Rik Smits.

17. DeAleck

We are living in what's called the "Information Age". So, it's a good idea to get some information before you write stuff. Otherwise, you are still living in an ancient age.

Jabbar has been dying to coach for the last 10 years. Right now, he's coaching a minor league team and still trying to find an NBA job. He's not embraced in this league because people think he's a total a-hole.

Moses Malone and Bill Russell have pubicly expressed interest and even desire to coach Yao in particular.

What can Hakeem teach Yao? Well, not many. Other than blocking a shot without fouling, dream shake, mental toughness, leadership skills, getting better rebounding position and timing, boxing out, stealing the ball, passing out of double team, how to hold up the MVP and Championship trophies... not really alot. So, you are right, Hakeem can't teach Yao that much.

18. Himalayas

Himalayas Contributing Member

funny stuff, but you are absolutely right!

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Don't tease me! I have wanted another mentor for Ming all along. Ewing is a nice guy, but, IMO, not the right fit for Ming. They appear to like each other, but coaching-wise, style-wise, not a marriage made in heaven.

20. yangstax

yangstax Contributing Member

#11 Arvydas Sabonis....