1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Every year some NFL "contenders" have a disappointing season

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by TheRealist137, Aug 18, 2014.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Last year, Falcons and Texans were supposed to be contenders but ended up as bad teams.

Who will it be this year? Could the Niners be it? Have looked terrible in the preseason.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It very well could be the Niners. Kaepernick looks like he hasn't developed at all from his rookie season, and they play in the toughest division in the NFL. Seattle, Arizona, and St. Louis all have defenses that can capitalize on his mistakes, so it'll be interesting to see how San Francisco handles it. Not having Bowman and Aldon Smith to start the season is going to make things very tough for them.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Niners play in a very tough division... probably the best in football.

That being said, the Saints are a Drew Brees injury away from looking terrible. And it wouldn't surprise me if any of the NFC North or NFC East teams were all good or all terrible. There's that much parity (or mediocrity) in those divisions.

For the AFC, the Chiefs could have a big let-down... as they've been a roller-coaster of a team the last several years. Same goes for the Colts. The Pats always feast on their weak division opponents, and I'll never count out a Belicheck-coached team even if they're decimated by injury/talent.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Is this the year when the Colts luck (no pun intended) finally runs out?

Reminds me of the Fisher-coached titans who I always thought would finally have a down year, but they never did.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Eagles maybe. Not really sold on Nick Foles being THAT good. NFL defenses have had a year to study up on Chip Kelly tendencies.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

its crazy how the NFC west went from easily the worst division in football to arguably the best in like 3 years...

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The AFC is far too weak with the Jags, Texans, and Titans right now to really see Luck and the Colts falling off, IMO, but we'll see. I hope.

I think Carolina and San Francisco are two teams primed to fall off.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Seattle, Pats or Broncos probably.

If not all 3, then at least 2.

9. Remii

Remii Member

It seems like the Colts could considering they were actually outscored last year. But I don't see it happening.

Don't agree about Carolina. I think their offense will be better this year IF Stewart can stay healthy.
    I think Kansas City and San Diego are primed to fall off and miss the playoffs this year along with San Francisco.

10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Panthers, new OL and WRs.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't think Carolina is going to be too affected by their change in WR. Benjamin and Avant are an upgrade from Steve Smith and LaFell at this point. They are replacing some guys on the line, but by all accounts it hasn't been too much of a trasition. Greg Olsen is still the constant there. Williams/Stewart/Tolbert remain. The defense is as nasty as ever.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Best candidates to flop (in order): 49ers, Chiefs, Panthers, Colts

49ers - Kaep is not good and the read-option is old news, division is brutal.

Chiefs - The Walrus is not surprising anyone this year.

Panthers - Dunno, just can't seem them repeating last year.

Colts - Absurdly fortunate, bouyed by weak division though.

13. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

The Chargers are a notoriously slow starting team and the back end of their schedule is brutal.

AT RAVENS
    PATRIOTS
    BRONCOS
    AT 49ERS
    AT CHIEFS

If they can't buck their slow starting trend (2011: 4-7, 2012: 4-7, 2013: 5-6), they just might be in position to draft Rivers' (he's in the final year of his contract) heir apparent.

14. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Are the Eagles considered contenders?

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Bro, you picked the three strongest teams in the league.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be honest, Denver, Green Bay and Detroit have these problems as well.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

You think both of the teams involved in last year's superbowl are going to do terribly? :eek:

I think the Pats will be even better this year - at least on offense. Brady had some really green receivers last year. It'll be fun to see the WR corp click with Brady this year.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not to mention Gronk will likely be healthier this year.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... but Brees is older than two of those other QB's and has yet to have an old man injury like Manning had (which forced him to change his game... which he did masterfully).

20. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Care to share any reasoning behind this?