1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evangelicals say faith is now too political

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, May 5, 2008.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

About time... I wonder about those who have come to love the power they wield and whether they're willing to give up such a good thing they have going. Hopefully their support for environmentalism will continue.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gIMD30g1mDuBXJyCdwZrew3j5RtQD90DRNHO0
    By RACHEL ZOLL AND ERIC GORSKI – 3 days ago

Conservative Christian leaders who believe the word "evangelical" has lost its religious meaning plan to release a starkly self-critical document saying the movement has become too political and has diminished the Gospel through its approach to the culture wars.

The statement, called "An Evangelical Manifesto," condemns Christians on the right and left for "using faith" to express political views without regard to the truth of the Bible, according to a draft of the document obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

"That way faith loses its independence, Christians become `useful idiots' for one political party or another, and the Christian faith becomes an ideology," according to the draft.

The declaration, scheduled to be released Wednesday in Washington, encourages Christians to be politically engaged and uphold teachings such as traditional marriage. But the drafters say evangelicals have often expressed "truth without love," helping create a backlash against religion during a "generation of culture warring."

"All too often we have attacked the evils and injustices of others," they wrote, "while we have condoned our own sins." They argue, "we must reform our own behavior."

The document is the latest chapter in the debate among conservative Christians about their role in public life. Most veteran leaders believe the focus should remain on abortion and marriage, while other evangelicals — especially in the younger generation — are pushing for a broader agenda. The manifesto sides with those seeking a wide-range of concerns beyond "single-issue politics."

Among the signers of the manifesto are Os Guiness, a well-known evangelical author and speaker, and Richard Mouw, president of Fuller Theological Seminary, a leading evangelical school in Pasadena, Calif. Organizers declined to comment until the final document is released.

They say more than 80 evangelicals have signed the statement, although only a few names have been released. A. Larry Ross, spokesman for the authors, said the theologicans and Christian leaders involved are seeking to "go back to the root theological meaning of the term evangelical."

Some champions of traditional culture war issues are not among the supporters.

Richard Land, head of the public policy arm for the Southern Baptist Convention, said through a spokeswoman that he has not seen the document and was not asked to sign it.

James Dobson, the influential founder of Focus on the Family, a Christian group in Colorado Springs, Colo., did not sign the document, said Gary Schneeberger, a Dobson spokesman. Schneeberger would not say whether Dobson had read the manifesto or had been asked to sign on.

Phil Burress, an Ohio activist who networks with national evangelical leaders, said that if high-profile evangelical leaders such as Dobson and Land don't support the document, "it's like throwing a pebble in the ocean" and will carry no weight.

But the drafters hope they can start a movement among evangelicals to reflect and act on the document. "We must find a new understanding of our place in public life," the drafters wrote.

2. MadMax

MadMax Member

How long have I been saying here that I don't know what evangelical means anymore?

Refreshing. Please stop hijacking a faith tradition for political aims.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I would say it's too late to get that cat back in the bag.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Says who?

[​IMG]

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

Nah. The faith is 2,000 years old. Political movements rarely last a generation.

6. Beck

Beck Member

I agree.

I think some people do hijack their faith tradition for political aim. But I think some other people stumble into it, because their religious beliefs are so much a part of their lives. Its impossible for me to differentiate between my "faith" and my politics completely. My faith shapes everything I do, and everything I support/oppose. For me, thats the only way to live. But then again, I am not running for office.

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

Absolutely agree. I can't separate my faith from my politics, either...and after seeking to study and follow Christ, that's why I don't get why Christians would line up as soldiers in either political camp in this country.

I think what they're talking about here goes far beyond just being unable to separate your faith from your decisions on who to vote for. In this country, the church has sold out to one party...to the point where identification with the other political party is nearly deemed sinful. Sadly the church is still divided as to race...and unfortunately, I think this is true in both the black and white church...just exchange one party for the other.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Your faith is part of your life. The question is, should your faith be part of my life, that's what many in this country believe should be the case. That their idea of how life should be applies to everyone else.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

fuzzy lines there...if i vote my conscience on an issue like global poverty because of my theology...and it means more taxes for a guy who doesn't share that background....whose view of the world isn't shaped by the same things mine is shaped by regarding human dignity and worth...am i pushing my religion on someone???

10. Beck

Beck Member

I understand the problem. Its not the governments responsibility to push a religion on people.

I was thinking about faith shaping political ideals in my first post, when I see now the real issue regarding political ideals attempting to shape peoples faith.

11. Beck

Beck Member

thats where I was initially going too. but thats a political view shaped by a religious belief. The problem, I think, is the inverse - using a politcal belief to shape someone else's faith.

Essentially, religion has no need for politics. People try to put Jesus as a republican or democrat. He may have voted for one party more than the other, but I don't think Jesus would be campaigning for either. He'd be too busy practicing his faith.

But I think its easy, as a human, for lines to get fuzzy. I don't think the people who want to use their political power to further Christianity are "bad guys", just confused. Furthering Christianity is something they believe to be good. So why not use your earthly power to do that? It almost seems logical. But, the examples in scripture point to a better way. God will change hearts regardless of what the government has to say.

12. rhester

rhester Member

voting is not in the bible

just casting lots

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The main reason the church is politically divided by race is because Democrats fight for the civil rights of the poor and minority while Republicans fight for the civil rights of the wealthy majority, ie the suburban white college applicant who can't get into her college of choice. Blacks are actually quite conservative socially (which is one reason why issues like gay marriage are so effective against Democrats) and would join the evangelical movement in droves if it were not for the perception that the current GOP is just big business mixed with Dixiecrats.