1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ESPN]Yi gets 50 stitches in lip after being elbowed by Williams

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Lovemachine2000, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Lovemachine2000

50 stitches in one busted lip? Williams must have inherited Deke's devastating elbow...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4718768

NEW YORK -- Yi Jianlian was elbowed in the mouth at practice by teammate Sean Williams, opening up a gash inside Yi's upper lip that required 50 stitches to repair.

The injury will force Yi to miss at least an additional week after he was expected to return Sunday against the Knicks or Tuesday at Chicago. He has missed five weeks with a sprained right knee.

Reports differed on whether the injury happened during a three-on-three or two-on-two drill, but this much was known: Yi went up to contest a dunk attempt by the 6-foot-10 Williams, the two collided as Yi got a piece of the ball and Williams' dunk attempt missed.

Witnesses said Yi wanted to continue playing but was told to seek medical attention.

"I would have never thought it was something like that," Williams said of the number of stitches required to close the wound. "We were just playing, out there trying to get better, and I looked up all of a sudden, and his mouth was bleeding. Now y'all are telling me he needed 50 stitches, and I'm like, 'Really?'"

Yi, a third-year forward from China, was averaging 9.8 points and 7.5 rebounds before he was injured in the third quarter of a game at Charlotte on Nov. 2.

He has been reunited with new Nets assistant coach Del Harris, who joined the staff as Kiki Vandeweghe's lead assistant on Thursday after the firing of Lawrence Frank. Harris was Yi's coach on the 2004 Chinese Olympic team.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

2. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

How do you fit 50 stitches on your upper lip? Was Yi Jianlian created by Matt Groening?

3. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

And how the hell do you miss a week because of a busted lip?!? :confused:

4. FFz

FFz Member

Prob because they dont want the stitches to open up.

5. mig0s

mig0s Member

The good news is, he got a piece of the block and wants to continue playing after. Yi's determined now, watch him take the nets to the playoffs!

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

How did he get hurt while he was rehabbing?

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

holy crap i busted my upper lip when i was kid and it split open but i only needed 10 stitches. hurts like hell to get stitches on your lip too.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Chinese milk?

9. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Wow, Yi becomes the Frankenstein? Stitches all over the lips. :cool:

Maybe that's the minor surgery-used stitch so that it amounts up to 50, which is more than usual stitches that Luis Scola received the other day on his eyelid.

10. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member