1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN trade Suggestion Southwest Divison

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 45souf, Feb 29, 2012.

1. 45souf

45souf Member

2. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Houston Rockets

The problem: The Rockets are enjoying a strong first season under new coach Kevin McHale and are one of a cluster of teams in the West that could finish anywhere from the third seed to out of the playoff bracket altogether. Behind breakout point guard Kyle Lowry, the jump-shooting Rockets were a top-10 offensive team during the season's first half. The perimeter defense is much improved over last year and Houston ranks right smack in the middle of the defensive efficiency standings. The old bugaboo of interior defense has been a problem, as it has been ever since Yao Ming went down. Despite the addition of Samuel Dalembert, the Rockets rank 25th in opponent 2-point percentage and 22nd in block percentage. The defense has been very good when Dalembert is in the game, but it gets killed when he's replaced by Jordan Hill or Patrick Patterson, or when Luis Scola moves over from the four. The Rockets need an upgrade at backup center.
    [+] EnlargeO'Neal
    AP Photo/Nick WassIf Celtics boss Danny Ainge decides to deal, he could trade Jermaine O'Neal to old teammate Kevin McHale.

The fix: McHale and Danny Ainge have done business before and one could say that Ainge owes his old Boston teammate a favor after the 2007 trade in which McHale sent Kevin Garnett to Ainge's Celtics. No one really knows how Ainge is going to approach this year's trade deadline. He could stand pat, but if he decides it's time to go into immediate rebuild mode, anything could happen. Remember how shocked we were when he sent Kendrick Perkins to the Thunder last year? Anyway, perhaps the Rockets could poach Jermaine O'Neal from Boston to work in tandem with Dalembert. Houston could send back Hasheem Thabeet (to make the salaries work) and a young piece as a sweetener. O'Neal's contract expires after this season, so his presence wouldn't harm the Rockets' enviable cap position going into the summer.

Of course, you can't address trade scenarios for the Rockets without mentioning Pau Gasol. After all, Houston actually traded for Gasol once this season already, only to have the deal nixed by David Stern. As with Ainge in Boston, it's hard to read what direction Mitch Kupchak is trying to push the Lakers in Los Angeles. In his public comments, he refused to commit to keeping Gasol in L.A. Most Houston-Los Angeles rumors involve sending Lowry to the Lakers, but the Rockets aren't likely to bite on that. However, if things get really messy between Kupchak and Gasol, perhaps the Rockets can steal him for a mega-package of their young players -- much like the Wolves took for Garnett a half-decade ago.

Gasol WARP: 12.6 (this season)/18.1 (next two seasons)

2 people like this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the Rockets were to get a big man from Boston, might as well get Kevin Garnett.

4. 45souf

45souf Member

Jo? really? Garnett is the better choice...:eek:

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

That's a skinny old man.

We need a center, not a pf. For a year and we give up Thabeet? I think it is a wonderful scenario. We get another legitimate center to backup Dalembert, they get....what's a sweet young piece? They get Morey's secretary, she's a sweet piece of ass.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

JO'N is so done. Has he even played two games in succession this season? If he were servicable the C's would be in reasonably decent position.

If there were to be a C's trade then please - - give me Pierce. I'd take KG, also, but with less interest than Gasol (and that was when he would have had Nene/Chuck with him at the ToyShop!).

7. 45souf

45souf Member

J'O is not even a Center anymore. At least with Garnett he can impact the game alot more than JO can.

8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

09ers for gasol you think

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

O'Neil or Kamen are both expiring, .. so either or... whoever wants to take a package of Bud and/or 09ers expirings (JHill, Thabeet, TWill, Flynn) - I'm good with...

1 person likes this.
  10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Jermaine O'Neal is a bad joke at this point. I wouldn't offer anything more than Thabeet and Flynn, and that's only if we're certain there's no other deal to be done with the expiring contracts (since O'Neal can't be put into a new package)

11. gah

gah Member

If we're talking back-up Center Kaman is the man, wouldn't surprise me at all if he sent Dalembert to the bench just after a few games.

12. VBG

VBG Member

While O'Neal is constantly injured, he at least tries and is smart defensively. It's a complete gamble. But if it's low risk I don't mind taking Jermaine O'Neal. He could be useful off the bench, holding the defense together.

13. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

we need a back up center so i have no problem taking Jermaine O'Neal

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jermaine O'Neal lulz

Is that serious?

Could've had Jermaine last year for Battier!

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's not low risk, it's NO risk.

Thabeet is an expiring just waiting to happen - useless on court. If we swap him for O'Neal, then we simply get a different expiring just waiting to happen.

Anything O'Neal would give us ON the court would be a massive bonus.

Having said that, I'd rather throw all the 09ers at NO for Kaman.

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I'd much rather get Pierce from them, but I wouldn't mind getting JO for free.

17. thething

thething Contributing Member

When healthy, O'Neal is better than Thabeet.

But Thabeet is healthy a lot more than O'Neal. However, Thabeet is giving us nothing, so if they're willing to do that swap, then why not?

18. VBG

VBG Member

Agreed. I do think the team needs someone down low who is physical and plays hard which Jermaine does. We have had huge problems against any physical plaeyrs down low.

Kaman does help our offense (especially our post offense. With Scola regressing adn becoming a turnover machine, Kaman would be nice.) I dunno if he can make us a little tougher down low though.

Like against OKC, when Dalembert was being assertive, the Rockets looked awesome.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member