1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Texans planning an offensive-line makeover

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

For you guys who are on the Astros buzz, please ignore and read later. For you guys interested in the Texans, read on...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2187777

Ranked last in the league in total offense and scoring, and surrendering sacks at a record pace, the winless Houston Texans are poised to undertake an offensive-line makeover.

When the Texans resume practice Wednesday for Sunday's game at Seattle, there figure to be changes to at least three starting line positions, and perhaps more, as the last winless franchise in the league attempts to address its longtime problem area. The offensive line has surrendered 27 sacks in four outings and, at that pace over a full 16-game schedule, quarterback David Carr would be sacked an amazing 108 times.

The league record for most sacks allowed in a season is 104, by the Philadelphia Eagles, in 1986. Carr was sacked 76 times in 2002, his rookie season, the most times sacked by an individual quarterback in one year.

The planned line shakeup includes moving center Steve McKinney to left guard and current left guard Chester Pitts to left tackle, replacing Victor Riley. Right guard Zach Wiegert would retain his starting job but right tackle Todd Wade might have to compete with Riley to keep his spot in the starting lineup.

Riley, who started each of the first four games at left tackle, has primarily been a right tackle for much of his eight-year career. Pitts started at left tackle his first two seasons in the league before moving inside to guard in 2004.

Rookie Drew Hodgdon, a fifth-round draft choice from Arizona State, will move into the lineup at center, under the changes discussed by the Houston coaching staff.

The Texans started the same line unit -- Riley at left tackle, Pitts at left guard, McKinney at center, Wiegert at right guard and Wade at right tackle -- in each of the first four games of the season. The results have been disastrous, as Houston has been unable to get into any offensive rhythm and Carr has been consistently under pressure.

Houston is averaging league lows in average yards (213.0) and average points (11.0). The line, and providing Carr adequate protection, has long been a source of concern. Houston general manager Charley Casserly attempted this spring to lure "franchise" left offensive tackle Orlando Pace away from the St. Louis Rams, but was unsuccessful.

2. Rockets34Legend

Here's the Chron version:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3392635

Texans shuffle offensive line for Seahawks
    Capers calls for shift; Hodgdon moves to center

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

After failing to protect quarterback David Carr during an 0-4 start, the Texans could make as many as four position changes on their offensive line before Sunday night's nationally televised game at Seattle.

Because the Texans have allowed 14 sacks in the past two games and 27 this season, coach Dom Capers, offensive coordinator Joe Pendry and offensive line coach Steve Marshall have decided to do some shuffling up front.

When practice begins today, Steve McKinney will move from center to left guard, Chester Pitts from left guard to left tackle, and Victor Riley from left tackle to right tackle.

Rookie center Drew Hodgdon, a fifth-round pick from Arizona State, will replace McKinney at center.

Right guard Milford Brown, a four-year veteran, also will get practice time at left guard. Brown has two starts at each guard position the past two years.

Depending on how well the linemen perform at their new positions, including Riley returning to his natural right side to try to beat out Todd Wade,
    right guard Zach Wiegert could be the only starter in the same position as in Sunday's 34-20 loss to Tennessee.

"You will see some changes at the end of the week, but right now I can't say what they are," Capers said Tuesday. "We're going to do what's best for the team."

Not only are the Texans on a pace to allow an NFL-record 108 sacks, they rank last in total offense (213 yards per game) and passing yards.

"I think with where we are right now, we have to make an attempt to become more productive and do a better job in the passing game," Capers said.

The linemen are not strangers to their new positions. Pitts started at left tackle during his first two seasons. McKinney played left guard during his four seasons at Indianapolis.

"You know, it's like falling off a horse," McKinney said. "Although I haven't heard anything officially, it wouldn't take me long to get comfortable at guard.

"It was more difficult moving from guard to center than it will be moving from center to guard. I enjoy playing guard. I'm excited about moving over a spot and still getting to play next to Chester. I'm sure he's happy about it. He always liked playing tackle."

Riley was signed as a free agent to compete with Wade but wound up replacing Seth Wand on the left side.

Wand, Brown, center Todd Washington and guard Fred Weary have started at times during their careers with the Texans.

Hodgdon will have the biggest adjustment because he has been inactive for the first four games.

"He's a young guy that we think is an ascending player," Capers said. "We like his quickness, his attitude — all of those things."

If Hodgdon shows he's not ready to step into the lineup, Washington could replace him.

Change in the line was inevitable after the Texans allowed seven sacks in each of the past two games. They've struggled to protect Carr for four years.

As a rookie, Carr was sacked 76 times — an NFL record for a quarterback. He was sacked 15 times in 2003 and 49 times last season.

The Texans failed in their attempts to lure tackle Orlando Pace from the St. Louis Rams in the offseason, forcing them to return to camp with the same starting line as last season. They entered the season with one change — Riley at left tackle, a position he hadn't played since early in his rookie season at Kansas City.

Riley had trouble with the Titans' young speed rushers Sunday.

Now he'll rotate with Wade in practice and let the coaches determine the starter against the Seahawks.

"We're going to let them compete," Capers said. "Wade has obviously been the starter, but we think both of them are capable."

Because the Texans can do little but shuffle the line at this point, they hope that is enough to spark a resurgence.

"I think the potential is there that it can," Capers said. "There are no guarantees. But we're in a position where we feel we need to take a look at all possibilities."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Texans summary

Extra effort

With the Texans having lost five consecutive games dating to last season, outside linebacker Antwan Peek said he doesn't question the character of his teammates.

But Peek did say the entire team will benefit if everyone raises his level of intensity and effort in the game Sunday at Seattle.

"I know guys are bringing the effort," Peek said. "But I think all of us can put forth a little more effort. I did see a couple of situations where just a little bit more effort from me might have made a play.

"That's something I have to go in and say, 'Hey, I have to put that extra effort in. I have to put that extra work in.'

"And that's what I'm going to do."

Prime time

Cornerback Dunta Robinson can be seen twice in prime time this week.

He will start in the Texans game Sunday, but he also will be featured on the NFL Network in Six Days To Sunday.

NFL Network followed Robinson through practice and team meetings and even miked him during Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans.

The cameras also followed Robinson on his day off as he visited a local Boys and Girls Club.

The show will air at 7:30 p.m. Thursday on the NFL Network.

Take a look

The Texans, who typically hold workouts once a week, had six players try out at Reliant Stadium on Tuesday.

The players were defensive back Kealvin Armstrong (Texas A&M-Kingsville), tight end Bobby Blizzard (North Carolina), defensive end Quinn Dorsey (Oregon), running back Alex Haynes (Central Florida), quarterback Bryan Randall (Virginia Tech) and defensive back Aric Williams (Oregon State).

megan.manfull@chron.com

3. dskillz

dskillz Member

What pisses me off more than anything is the fact the Texans knew all off-season they had problems but only now want to do something about it. Now that we are going to be on National TV.

4. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

And the guy in charge of our problem area got promoted to offensive coordinator? What a joke.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

We should just run illegal formations. It'll still be first down and we'll lose less yardarge.

6. leroy

leroy Member

The positive is that they really couldn't do much worse. Maybe this will work. Have to be a little worried about a rookie center. I just don't know how many more big plays I can take being called back and hearing, "Holding, #69 offense." Chester Pitts has single handedly ruined at least 10 TD plays in the the past 2 seasons. The one last week gives us the lead in the first half. Instead of 7-3 Houston, it's only 3-3 and we never get closer.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

If there is any team that can test that theory it is the 2005 Texans.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

It won't matter, but this should have been done at the start...What a joke...

9. emjohn

emjohn Member

Reshuffling to allow a different group of below-average linemen try the job won't be nearly enough. It's not like we just remembered that there was a stud on the bench that we could use.

This move + adapting our playcalling to cover up our inability to run- or pass-block will be a patchwork solution that might allow us to be a little more competitive in games. But the only way we're going to get some wins is if other teams completely go to sleep on us.

At this point, the only true fix is to count down until April and hope that we can pull 2+ O-line starters out of the draft.

Evan

10. redgoose

redgoose Member

When i 1st read the title i thought we traded for a couple people. There has to be some back ups on other teams who could make our team. Send them some draft picks or players. Our players can't do anything w/o a line anyways.

It amazes me what Denver did, taking 3 so called scrubs Cleveland didn't want anymore and made them all starters. And it turned out to be a pretty darned good line. That's the kind of coach/GM we need. :eek:

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

They brought in Bobby Blizzard? He was a sweet high school PF and TE, I saw him play once in each sport. He played on the same high school team with former all everything guy Ronald Curry, now with the Raiders.

12. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

This is a joke, we are going to get embarrassed on national tv.

13. redgoose

redgoose Member

Well, all my footbal hopes have gone on to UT this year. Plus with the Stros and Rockets, it at least makes it easier to forget about the Texans.

It's not that i'm a fair weathered fan. I watched the Astros and Rockets while they stuggled. But the Texans just humiliate themsemves and are so boring to watch. Drayton and Caroll would always do whatever they could within their resources to improve their teams. I just haven't seen that from the Texans. My friend even sold his seaon tickets this year. I'd rather watch 2 hours of UPN then watching Carr get plummed and yellow flags flying all over the fence. :eek:

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

When I saw this yesterday the phrase "Shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic" immediately came to mind. They can move guys around all they want to but the hard cold truth is that they can't fix this until the off season (it will be up to the new coaching staff). The OL guys on the bench are there because they failed to do the job when given the chance. At any rate, it's too late for Capers & Co. to try to address the OL mess. The damage to Carr has been done and I don't know if he will ever recover.

15. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I'm happy we at lest get to see D-Hog at center. Maybe Charley hit paydirt again. He's know to do that from time to time.

16. Rockets34Legend

Pitts is already complaining that he is going to suck even more at his new spot...

http://www.chron.com/CDA/umstory.mpl/sports/3394201

To Pitts, a few feet a big deal
    Shift from guard to tackle requires fancy footwork

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The move might seem minor. It's not as if Chester Pitts is moving far. He's basically stepping just a few feet to his left.

Pitts isn't naïve though. He has played left tackle. And after starting the past 20 games at left guard, Pitts realizes his job just became a lot more difficult.

For the first time since the 2003 season, Pitts took every repetition at left tackle during practice Wednesday. He will start there during Sunday night's game at Seattle, giving the Texans more athleticism in their pass protection.

"There are a lot of little nuances about tackle that I'm going to have to get back in the swing of early, but I feel like I'll be able to go out there and compete and do a good job against anybody in the league," Pitts said. "It's harder at tackle because you're dealing with better athletes who move better. They make you move your feet, and the more you move your feet the more chances you have to get out of balance.

"Being in balance all the time is what makes a good pass protector."

As Pitts settled in at tackle, the Texans looked to make changes at three other positions on the line. The starters at left guard, center and right tackle will not be decided until later this week.

The major overhaul of the offensive line surprised few of the Texans. They rank last in the league in offense and passing yards. They've also given up 27 sacks in the first four games.

"We're struggling," quarterback David Carr said. "We haven't won a game yet and it's rough. When your expectations are as high as they are in this locker room and you go out and start 0-4, there's definitely going to be changes made because Mr. (Bob) McNair expects to win. (Coach) Dom (Capers) expects to win. I expect to win.

"So if there have to be changes made, then let's do it."

Steve McKinney shared repetitions with rookie Drew Hodgdon at center throughout practice. If Hodgdon starts at center, the Texans will start McKinney at left guard, where he played for four years with the Indianapolis Colts.

Capers said if McKinney moves to left guard he would continue to make all the calls for Hodgdon. The rookie out of Arizona State said that despite being inactive for the first four games of the season, he is ready to start this week.

"Obviously the best way to get thrown in there is when the team is doing well and you're just proving you're the best guy on the field," Hodgdon said. "That would be the ideal. But just like any rookie, I'm not going to complain."

The Texans might start McKinney at center, which would leave the left guard job to Milford Brown.

Brown, who has started six games for the team the past two seasons, would give the Texans their most experienced combination up front.

Victor Riley and Todd Wade shared repetitions at right tackle.

Riley spent seven seasons on the right side before moving to left tackle with the Texans this season.

Riley and Wade have blocked well in the running game but struggled to contain fast pass rushers.

"It's my job to lose," said Wade, who has started at right tackle with the Texans since last season. "Competition's always good. I've been somewhat dominating on the running game, but the last couple of weeks my pass protection hasn't been so good. It's got to improve. I'm not surprised. When you're 0-4, you've got to do something and do it quick."

Right guard Zach Wiegert is the only player not spending the week adjusting to a new position or competing with anyone to retain his job.

Wiegert, an 11-year veteran, learned long ago not to get overly concerned about such details.

"I don't worry about that stuff," he said. "You do your job. If you're not good enough, they get rid of you. It's that simple."

megan.manfull@chron.com

17. gunn

gunn Member

The last thing you want to do is trade your draft picks when they have number one written all over them for some "backups".

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Cut Wiegert and hire him as gm. It seems he has a more solid grasp on player management than Cassie.

19. Chance

Chance Member

Couldn't resist it!

[​IMG]

20. codell

codell Member

How do you get this:
    from this:

:confused: