1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Team-by-team analysis -- who should Houston cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

From Chad "I'm Full of Crap" Ford of ESPN Insider:

Houston Rockets - $59M (Clarence Weatherspoon or Juwan Howard)

The Rockets have done a good job of ridding their team of bad long-term contracts. Only two, Weatherspoon's (1 year, $6.4 million) and Howard's (four years, $26.5 million), remain on the books. Given their current tax situation, the Rockets could just dump Weatherspoon and be done with it. As it stands the Rockets will be under the cap next season. But long term, they need to seriously consider Howard. With Yao Ming entering extension talks soon and the recent signing of Stromile Swift, they might want to get Howard's contract out of the way to facilitate a large payroll bump in the coming years.

2. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

What happened to Moochie and Vin?

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

JH's contract is OK (not great towards later years) IF he is ready to return to basketball.

If we need to do a one time lux tax cut (big questionmark at this point), Spoon or Baker would be it.

4. sourav004

sourav004 Member

Please get rid of Spoon he is way past his prime and needs to go.
    -Lal Salam

5. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

i would rather keep all our expiring contracts into the season so we have the flexibility to make a trade. Saving 5 million in luxury tax for a year is worth it.

6. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

Buh Bye Juwan we got the Badman as our backup, or Shawn Kemp.

7. Toast

Toast Member

Chad Ford lost me at "bad, long-term contracts" and "Weatherspoon ... 1 year"

8. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

At least Spoon got on the court last year....I'd cut Vin. I doubt he'll put on another NBA uni.

9. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Ford is right, you have to get rid of Howard's contract. Spoon's is only $6 million for one year (which might have value in January) Vinny is like $4 million for one year (why bother). But now that Swift is here and Howard's health is a legitmitae concern, how can anyone say that he will be worth $ 7.3 million dollars... in 2008 (when he is 36), cause kids THAT is how much he will get that season

10. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

they wish now they still have MoT

11. ty185

ty185 Member

if the new cba acts like the old one, the difference between lux tax/non-lux tax probably would be 20 mil instead of 5 mil, because the under lux tax team will get a huge kick back money, IIRC.

and how on earth are we talking about cutting a legitimate starting PF like juwon because he is making MLE?? that just doesn't make sense...

I just don't see a realistic way for us to get a PF back with juwon's caliber, with MLE money. and with all SS's foul trouble and injury history, it's not like he is not going to need a quality back up.

my vote if for cutting spoon. we should have enuf expiring contract to make trades happen even without his 6M anyway.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's not a disaster waiting to happen.

I like Howard less than most here, but I know better than to cut him. Swift won't cover the PF position all by himself, and we need someone else who can do a credible job at that position. He might be an option for a trade, but not for a cut. And, unless we need a roster spot, none of our dead weight is either.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

naw...if we are gonna cut anyone, I would rather cut someone who has never contributed on the court.
    Say what you will about Spoon, but he has done more on the court for the Rockets than Baker has..

also....even tho we are over the cap...AFAIR, we are not in LuxTax territory yet.

There is a difference between over the cap and in LuxTax.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I would not cut any of our players since we won't be in luxury tax land this year anyway. Most of the contracts we have for players that are "dead weight" are expiring at the end of this year (kudos to CD for trading MoT to make this happen), contracts that will be highly valuable once some teams figure out that the playoffs are not going to happen in '05-'06. Chris Webber and Baron Davis are perfect examples of this from last year. If we are able to pick up a solid role player or two at the trade deadline, they could push us over the top at the cost of expiring contracts and guys that won't see any time anyway.

The only reason to cut any of them is if we need a roster spot and we won't be able to determine that until training camp in October.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

Brilliant idea! Let's compare their NBA stats from the last four years:

Howard
    01-02 14.6 ppg / 7.6 rpg / 2.1 apg
    02-03 18.4 ppg / 7.6 rpg / 3.0 apg
    03-04 17.0 ppg / 7.0 rpg / 2.0 apg
    04-05 9.6 ppg / 5.7 rpg / 1.5 apg

Badiane
    01-02 0.0 ppg / 0.0 rpg / 0.0 apg
    02-03 0.0 ppg / 0.0 rpg / 0.0 apg
    03-04 0.0 ppg / 0.0 rpg / 0.0 apg
    04-05 0.0 ppg / 0.0 rpg / 0.0 apg

Kemp
    01-02 0.0 ppg / 0.0 rpg / 0.0 apg
    02-03 0.0 ppg / 0.0 rpg / 0.0 apg

You're a genius! Maybe Isiah has an opening for an assistant.

16. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cut Howard now. Other decent players will shake loose with those lux tax cuts.
    Get out of that long term deal while the getting's good.

Trade the expiring contracts at the deadline, or ride 'em out. No new fat contracts.

At worst, we go into the season with Swift and our expiring forwards Spoon and Baker. We pick up a Lonnie Baxter or Malik Badiane for the bench with a min contract. There's probably other vet-min talent we'll pick up later, at the right price for a backup.

17. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

Actually Kemp....
    01-02 6.1 ppg / 3.8 rpg / 0.7 apg
    02-03 6.8 ppg / 5.7 rpg / 0.7 apg

I'm guessing your forgot about the fat ass, double chinned, crack head Kemp that finished his career in Orlando.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

That was the same guy?!? :eek: :D

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Is there a deadline for when you can make the cut?

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

as of right now....Oct 1

but according to ESPN, teams are pushing to move that up so that players can be cut and find a new team sooner.

It makes sense cause if it remains at Oct 1, players will be scrambling to find a new team before camp.