1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Radio12:00a.m.PacTime..Hint we got Web

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface, May 14, 2001.

1. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Last night as I'm driving back home I was listening to ESPN radio in the bay area. When the host forgot his name(Jerry Renolyds) right before going to commercial says hes going to interview Matt Bullard in a sec or two and then says hes going to talk to Matt about what he believes very strongly which is that Houston is almost a lock to get Wevver. So right there I almost crashed into the center divider. Anyhow Matt gets on and they talk about the playoffs and what not then the host says "well last week I couldn't ask you because of the tampering rules but I guess now since he is officialy a free agent I can. How would Chris Webber fit in with the Houston Rockets"? Matt says he brings front court presence which they need and that they are familiar with having a guy downlow so they can adjust to him..... Then the host says well I believe you guys have THE BEST chance emphasising on best, when Matt buts in saying that there are four teams that can outright sign him, and the host counters with basicaly "theres no way in hell hes going to Chicago". When the Bull once again buts in and says well then theres the Pistons which would be his hometown. The host then says "hes not going to go to Detroit either! Hes not going to Detroit. The playing for the home fans thing is overrated. I'll tell you why hes not going to go to Detroit off the air." He told Matt that the Rocks have the best chance at getting him and he very strongly believes we will get him.

Now keep in mind these are not exact quotes since they were from last night but pretty close. The host and Matt I guess are friends and Matt does his show every week. The way the guy was hinting before the interview and after it seemed he knew that Wevver was coming.

?

------------------
    ``We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

correction...

Webber is not a free agent until July 1st. Tampering rules apply until then. Technically speaking, they can trade him right now, but his contract expires in 45 days, so you'd be a fool to trade for him. Further, the Kings are not allowed to discuss his free agent plans with him, either. All this also applies to Dream, Mo', and Shandon.

that said....wooo hooo, thx for the info Scarface, and drive safe.

3. Curly

Curly Member

What about the Magic? I would think that playing with Grant Hill, and McGrady would be just as sweet for Webber as playing with Francis and Mobley.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

4. davo

davo Contributing Member

Is he one of those new European players? [​IMG]

Thanks for the scoop Scarface.

------------------
    ..as a man danced so the drums were beaten for him.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wouldn't they have to gut their team just to get him? What exactly would Sacramento want from them anyway?

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

C'mon man don't burst the bubble [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not really if we could trade Cato and Walt for him . . and his contract was up and left . .. IMAGINE THE CAP SPACE!!!!

Rocket River :)

------------------

8. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Yeah sorry thats what I call Webber, inside joke and all.

The Bull was pretty funny in the interview as usual. They talked about air hockey and Bull was giving the host pointers.

Oh yeah sorry for the typos and the lack of breaks in the previous post but I was late for class.

------------------
    ``We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

9. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

I would imagine that Hill would be part of the sign-and-trade. But would Sac want to take a chance on Kerry Kittles, er, Jayson Williams, er, Grant Hill.

------------------
    "If you don't understand it,
    don't try to understand it."
    -Carl Everett

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Webber to Orlando isn't going to work. He's not going to sign for any exception-- forget that-- and the Magic outside of McGrady and Hill don't have anyone the Kings could use, and they would not take spare parts just to get compensation. In addition, Hill would not go to the Kings, because Orlando for the decades to come would have the horrible reputation of signing a superstar and not even letting him play a healthy game for them before trading him. Hill+ a reputation of sticking by your players is better than Webber. The logic of so many people is skewed in this case-- everyone loves to say that the Kings would rather take this package of average and/or overpaid players than nothing. Wrong. Cap flexibility, now and in the coming years, is more important to the Kings than gathering a few overpaid role players to compensate for the loss of Webber. If Webber leaves, they won't be competing for a title next year anyway, so why would you waste cap room that could in the future be used for a young budding PF on a few role players that won't put you over the top? Webber won't go to Orlando unless Hill is involved, and I highly doubt Orlando would sacrifice a star and their reputation for years to come all for Chris Webber.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

11. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

My point was that the only way Orlando could do a deal was if Hill or McGrady were involved. And everyone knows Tracy is going NOWHERE. I really don't think it would happen, but I'm not sure if such a deal would give them a bad reputation as you suggest. I see Orlando as the one's who got screwed in the deal. Since they have a lot of money tied up in a player that has given them ZERO, why would anyone fault them for trying to get better, especially since no one knows if Hill will ever be the player he once was.

------------------
    "If you don't understand it,
    don't try to understand it."
    -Carl Everett

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

When Orlando traded Webber they got a "future hall of famer" in return I forget his name [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

What about Orlando packaging some players, draft picks and the rookie of the year Mike Miller for Webber. Word out of Orlando is Miller maybe moved for an inside player this summer, just read the Sentinel. A player like Miller could easily attract another team for a possible huge three way.

------------------

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What about Orlando packaging some players, draft picks and the rookie of the year Mike Miller for Webber. Word out of Orlando is Miller maybe moved for an inside player this summer, just read the Sentinel. A player like Miller could easily attract another team for a possible huge three way.

First, why would Sacramento want Mike Miller with Christie, Stojakovic, and Turkoglu already there? Secondly, Miller only makes approx. $3 million per season, about 9 million off from what Webber will sign for. For a two way, three way, four way, or whatever way trade to happen, they'd have to find a team to take $9 million of their baggage for no salary in return to fit Webber under the cap. And that isn't gonna happen.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Why does Orlando draft good players and then try to trade them after one season? They did the same thing with Maggette.

------------------

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thanks for the info.

I'm telling you, everybody. Our team makes the most sense for him. Young and exciting.

If we could just get Dream back, then man, oh man oh man, how great it would be.

------------------

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Technically speaking, they can trade him right now, but his contract expires in 45 days, so you'd be a fool to trade for him

HP,

Webber cannot be traded. Here's the quote from the CBA:

NBA CBA Article 7, Section 8 item c
    A Team cannot trade any player after the NBA trade deadline occurring in the last Season of the player's Contract, or after the NBA trade deadline occurring in any Season that could be the last Season of the player's Contract based upon the exercise or non-exercise of an Option or Early Termination Option.

------------------

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Duly noted. So sounds like you finally paid the $15 for the whole CBA text. If so, how long did it take for them to send it to you?

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Duly noted. So sounds like you finally paid the $15 for the whole CBA text. If so, how long did it take for them to send it to you?

Actually, it's available on the web for free.

------------------