1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN NY] Amare and Tyson Chandler to work with Hakeem in the offseason

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Fracking argh....

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/21253/amare-to-work-with-hakeem-olajuwon

A source close to Amare Stoudemire told ESPNNewYork.com that the Knicks' power forward will work with NBA legend and post-up coach Hakeem Olajuwon later this offseason.

Olajuwon will fly to New York in August to train with Stoudemire. The source also said Tyson Chandler might join Stoudemire for the workouts, but that hasn't been confirmed.

Olajuwon, 49, has previously worked one-on-one with three of the best players in the game: Kobe Bryant (2009), Dwight Howard (2010) and LeBron James last summer. Each player showed immediate improvement on the block in the following season.

Stoudemire's future work with Olajuwon could signal Mike Woodson's coaching strategy to use him more in the low post and have Chandler become the team's main high pick-and-roller with Jeremy Lin and Carmelo Anthony. (Stoudemire has more of a foundation in the low post already.)

In this scenario, the Knicks could have more defined roles and less crowding on the court, which would lead to better ball movement and scoring opportunities. They also need to score more in the paint and have more bodies for offensive rebounds besides Chandler, as they finished this past season in the middle of the league in both categories.

Stoudemire has never been a consistent back-to-the-basket threat -- he has mostly scored off drives, midrange jumpshots and pick-and-rolls -- but if he can combine his intensity and aggressiveness with some new moves from Olajuwon, he could be a more complete threat.

Stoudemire is currently traveling overseas for a couple of weeks. Once he returns, he'll start a training program with a conditioning coach and physical therapist for his back. He suffered a bulging lower disk toward the end of this past season.

Stoudemire was not in Los Angeles this past week to meet with Woodson, Lin, Anthony and members of the coaching and training staff; he was in Chicago, hosting his Nike big man camp for top high school and college players.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

daam... why cant he jus be a coach for us so players would wanna come play for us...

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Hakeem is selfless, just wants to help out as much as possible. True leader, never stops teaching.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He charges money after the first session. Lol.

5. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

hey got to pay the bills.

6. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Wish Hakeem would be a coach here.

7. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Wow. My respect for Hakeem just went up again. He's 49. That's still young. He can school both...at the same time.

8. conquistador#11

in what city did this hakeem guy play his basketball?
    it was probably NY, Miami or brooklyn.

Lex really needs to convince hakeem to work for the rockets full time. He can be assistant gm or make up a position.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Generally Hakeem's training sessions have been like a Phil Jackson approach, train up already good players who could use just an extra little bit of coaching on what they already have.

(Or someone totally raw like Haseem Thabeet)

Now its like he's being called on to be a full time trainer. As much as Hakeem's my favorite NBA player ever, I don't see him providing Amare and Chandler anything to significantly boost their low post game unless Hakeem is FULLY committed. Or unless they really RESPECT Hakeem so much that they'll take his teaching to heart.

And yes I wish Hakeem would work closer with the ROCKETS organization.

10. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

we should've asked him to be our head coach last summer

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I, too, will be working with Hakeem this summer.

All you gotta do is ask ;)

12. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

If Hakeem wanted to be a coach full time I am sure he would have plenty of opportunities. I respect the man's devotion to life and his family. He deserves to do these types of things on his own terms.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets should hire their own Hall of Fame level big guy to teach their players how to operate in the post.

14. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Hakeem hardly ever works with Rockets players and even though I don't like it...I have come to accept it. But does he still hold any grudges against the franchise? Otherwise wouldn't he be the perfect candidate to talk to Dwight and tell him what a great city Houston is and what a great franchise the rockets are

15. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

The Rockets organization should pay this MAN whatever he wants/needs! What's stopping them?

He is basically training these basketball players to compete with us. It's almost equivalent to the Navy Seals training another country's military their tactics on how to search & destroy.

If he does have to pay the bills (and he is getting paid for these lessons), we need to lock him up with a life-time non-compete contract so that he is not allowed to teach other superstars what he has learned. Our slogan should be if they want to learn from the greatest come to Houston!

1 person likes this.
  16. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

He trained with Yao.

17. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I know he did. That's why I wrote he HARDLY ever works with Rockets players.

18. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

When you're as great as Hakeem, it's more important to pass on knowledge of the game and mentor others in the artform, than to play out parochial rivalries.

That said, I hope we land Howard and get Hakeem to drop some knowledge on him.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its not gonna work. Amare,like griffin has fast feet

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hakeem is single handidly teaching the NBA how to play post again