1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Jimmy Butler's Story

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Sydeffect, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Talk about inspirational.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Butler-110618

2. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

3. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Would be really shocked if the Bulls don't try taking a flyer on the kid with one of their late 1st rounders, seems like great depth at the wing for them, and fits their defense perfectly.

The Rockets really don't have any place for him to play; but I do hope that wherever he lands, we hear a story in 10 years about how after a long NBA career, he reconciles with his biological parents, and how he's not going to be the same parent that leaves his kid alone.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jimmy Butler is literally the homeless man's Shane Battier.

1 person likes this.
  5. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

I have lived in TOmball my whole life. I hooped with jimmy butler often. HE used to call me "dirk" lol this is before he went to marquette though.

6. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

He's a Houston product. I played on pick up bball a couple times at 24 hour fitness when he used to go to Tyler and when he was in for holidays from Marquette. He never loses a game and there is some pretty good competition in there.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Me, too. Unfortunately, I doubt he falls to #38. His range is most likely #28-34 or so.

If the Rockets stand pat with their picks, go "foreign stash" (i.e., Mirotic or Bertans) at #23, and Butler's on the board at #38, then it would be a perfect fit for the Rockets to take him there.

I could also envision a scenario where the Rockets trade up in the second round using #38 and cash to a team like Cleveland (#32) to take Butler.

Love his story. Great "fit" player. Kind of like his college teammate Lazar Hayward was last year. Hayward had multiple workouts for the Rockets and (pure speculation on my part) could have been acquired by Houston had he slipped into the early second round. While Morey said the price tag was too high to buy a second rounder in that draft, he may have felt Hayward was one of the few guys worth the price.

Bottom line: I'll be happy adding a guy like Jimmy Butler to this Rockets team.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There is that scenario where the Rockets trade for Asik and end up with the Bulls' 28th or 30th pick as part of the bargain...

Edit: An earlier interview with him. Talked about his home situation here, too. Go to the 5:04 mark, where he was asked about the Shane Battier comparison. Apparently his adopted mom is a Duke fan.
    <iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DyIwVuLejBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#8 Carl Herrera, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

man, getting him would be too perfect, position of need, Houston product, high character Rockets type player

10. YouGuysAreCrazy

Katz says "tumble", TX in the interview :(

Oh well. Dont want to take anything away from Jimmy Butler. He's a really impressive young man.

11. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Very inspirational story. I saw him play when he was a senior in HS (I was a freshman), he dropped 43 points on my HS team (with many impressive dunks).

I would love to get him with our 2nd round pick, but I doubt he'll last that long.