1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider: If no Yao, would Rox tab Dunleavy #1? (and other tidbits)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Jun 10, 2002.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Insider Mock Draft II

With annual NBA trade rumor and second-round draft pick convention in Chicago finally over, it's time to revisit Insider's mock draft.

Mike Dunleavy is still the wild card that throws a severe wrench in everything. If the Rockets continue to experience trouble with Yao, Dunleavy understands that there's a good liklihood that he could be the No. 1 pick in the draft. That's something that's impossible next year thanks to LeBron James.

ESPN Insider talked to Dunleavy Saturday and it was pretty clear that the chance that he could be the No. 1 overall pick and the risk of injury were what were pushing him to declare.

James suffered his broken wrist after we talked, but you have to believe that the incident will have an impact. There are no guarantees in basketball.

"I know everything can change tomorrow," Dunleavy said. "An injury, a disappointing season and my stock plummets. You can't help but think about it. . ."

Of course, my daily Lee Benson plug...

Lee Benson, F, Brown Mackie -- He didn't do anything spectacular, but he ran the floor, crashed the boards and showed teams that he had the character and work ethic to succeed in the league. This is a kid who knows how to score, has a body that can withstand the rigors of the NBA, and has the motivation to never let up. He won't get a first round nod because of his age, but someone will take a gamble on him in the second round.

and some more Yao/Cuban/Wang BS

Draft Rumors: Are the Mavs trying to steal Yao?

The Rockets' Carroll Dawson and Rudy Tomjanovich are in China trying to lure Yao away.

"Yesterday upon our arrival, we had a very pleasant exchange with [Shanghai Sharks GM] Li Yaomin, and we're looking forward to beginning discussions later today," Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis told the Houston Chronicle. "The fact he picked us up at the airport and had a good meeting with Michael [Goldberg, team general counsel] was obviously a good sign. Things are going well.

"We plan to tour a museum today and get acquainted with one another over dinner. We look forward to learning about the Chinese culture and developing a relationship with the Shanghai Sharks."

Chicago Tribune writer Sam Smith wonders if the whole Wang Zhi Zhi defection is an elaborate plot by Mark Cuban and the Mavs to weasel their way in for Yao.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hah !!!

I said the same thing about Cuban......I wouldn't put it past him to try to sabotage the Rocks.

DaDakota

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I coudnt remember for the life of me who came up with the Cuban-tampering theory....good job DaDakota

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

wasn't he the one who had to cough up $$ when the Rockets squealed about Rice being hurt?

Grudge?

or perhaps Wang is just planning on playing for someone else, not interested in Dallas and avoiding the overzealous Cuban

*drama* dum dum dum! *drama*

5. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

WTF?!?!?

Is Dunleavy really worth the #1 pick in the draft???

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

Before taking Dunleavy 1st, I would hope the Rockets would take the Clippers up on their offer for Odom and picks

7. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Why not Dunleavy? Think of the thousands of caucasoid americans that would become Rocket fans! ;)

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

What a character that Cuban guy is. The funny thing is the joke is on him.

While his intent may have been to sabotage Rockets talks with the Sharks. It appears he has screwed himself. Wang is very annoyed at Dallas for leaking the information. Dallas will be hard pressed to resign him.

Someone in Dallas needs to tape that guys mouth. Dumb move Cuban.

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

How about if Cuban wants Yao so much than we trade them the #1 for Dirk.

10. aLfaBoLoUs1

aLfaBoLoUs1 Member

Rockets need to draft a C or SF, if Yao deal doesnt go through, Dunleavy should be selected #1, he's proven and he would fit great with Steve, Cat and Eddie......if not Dunleavy, Butler's the only other choice, I'd rather have either of the two over Odom anyday!

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Hell no!!!!!

In case I didn't emphasize that enough....

HELL NO!

First of all I think this is all just a bunch of media BS. That being said if the Rockets end up drafting that clown with the #1(which I HIGHLY doubt they'd do), you can start calling me LakersPimp.

:eek:

Please Rockets, don't do it!! I don't wanna be a Lakers fan!

12. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Hi Lakerspimp, nice to meet you.

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Hey man, back off!!

:D

14. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

:D Way to go Tenchi, I'm LOL!! :D

I guess RocketsPimp is destined to be a Lakerspimp, (isn't that akin to a Shaqpimp, ala Bill Walton). I would readily take Dunleavy or Butler over Odom ANYDAY!! I think their is some reverse racism out there... Dunleavy can absolutely fill it up and may be the next Bird. Butler can defend and is more athletic than anybody but Stevie....:p

Good Luck with the Luckers....(Anybody can win when it's 8 on 5)