1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN Insider/Hollinger: Spurs vs. Thunder: Advantage SAS

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Fefo, May 24, 2012.

1. Fefo

Fefo Member

ESPN Insider/Hollinger: Spurs vs. Thunder: Advantage SAS

Spurs vs. Thunder: Advantage SAS
    In a battle of high-scoring teams, Spurs have edge (PER Diem: May 24, 2012)

By John Hollinger

Ready for some offense?

I'd hope so, after seeing a historically low-scoring playoffs ground further into the mud by six games of Sixers-Celtics. Well, good news is on the way. The Western Conference finals start Sunday, and you will definitely be seeing scoring. Lots and lots and lots of it.

San Antonio led the NBA in offensive efficiency this season, and Oklahoma City was second. It's been a similar story in the playoffs, as the two teams are miles ahead of everybody else on the efficiency leaderboard.

There's a certain irony to this, of course. San Antonio won four championships with a defense-first mantra, and the Oklahoma City franchise is as faithful a reproduction of the Spurs as you'll see -- it's owner (Clay Bennett), general manager (Sam Presti) and assistant GM (Rob Hennigan) all were with the Spurs at one time in the Gregg Popovich era, and San Antonio was very clearly their model for building the Thunder into a small-market tiger that always values long-term interests over short-term gains. And despite its three stars, Oklahoma City's first whiffs of success came at least as much at the defensive end; it wasn't until this season that the Thunder shifted to being such an offense-heavy team.

The similarities don't end there. Both teams have three stars that are the focal points of the attack, including a pair of slashing, foul-drawing, left-handed sixth men (James Harden and Manu Ginobili) who now are almost routinely compared to one another. And both teams breezed through the first two rounds, sporting a combined record of 16-1 while laying waste to the basketball season in Los Angeles. (Side note: Those who argue that the Thunder's romp past the Mavs and Lakers was far more impressive need to look at the standings instead of the jerseys. Dallas and Utah had the same record; the Lakers edged the Clippers by a game.)

But despite all those similarities, it's the differences that will define this series. And in this battle of teacher vs. student, the students are about to get schooled.

San Antonio has a few major advantages over Oklahoma City that should prove telling. The biggest one can be found by looking past the stars to the back-end rotation players. The Thunder give major minutes to Derek Fisher (PER: 8.0), Daequan Cook (9.3), Kendrick Perkins (8.7) and Thabo Sefolosha (9.8); while Perkins and Sefolosha have defensive value, Nick Collison was the only player outside OKC's top four to post a halfway respectable PER.

Contrast that with what San Antonio brings to the table: Tiago Splitter (20.5), Danny Green (15.5), Matt Bonner (13.2), Gary Neal (14.3), Stephen Jackson (13.2) and Boris Diaw (11.2). Their bench is so good that DeJuan Blair (17.6) can't even get on the court.

So big picture, spots 5-9 in the rotation shape up as major mismatches in favor of the Spurs. The Thunder's only advantages are at No. 1 and No. 4, if you're stacking teams up that way: Kevin Durant is obviously the best player on the court, and the Thunder's fourth-best player, Serge Ibaka, is clearly better than Spurs rookie Kawhi Leonard.

Dig deeper, however, and advantages start tilting more in the Spurs' favor -- especially at the defensive end. This is where the teacher-student thing comes up again, in vivid color. The Thunder are athletic, play very hard and have a great shot-blocker behind them in Ibaka. Nonetheless, they're not a great defensive team, ranking ninth in efficiency overall.

And in particular, they tend to have trouble with the thing that San Antonio will force them to do over and over and over again -- making smart, coordinated rotations in team defense. The Thunder are relentless but, befitting their youth, a lot of that energy is wasted. Russell Westbrook runs all over on defense but is rarely in the right spot, and the same can be said if you watch the likes of Ibaka and Harden off the ball.

It's what will get them beat in this series. Looking to the regular season, the Spurs won two of the three games even though Ginobili missed all three. They won by pick-and-rolling the Thunder to death, leading to botched rotations and wide-open 3s; in the three games, the Spurs shot a ridiculous 28-of-54 from long range. That was with Blair starting at power forward all three games, mind you; now that the Spurs play floor spacers Bonner and Diaw at the 4, they'll get the Thunder even more spread out on D.

So the Thunder are at a disadvantage. But they do have a few weapons at their disposal to turn this series in their favor.

One they should seriously consider is starting either Harden or Cook and bringing Sefolosha off the bench to match up against Ginobili. Right now, the Thunder's best individual defender will be wasted guarding Green before he comes off the floor; he's likely to have virtually no overlap with the Spurs' best wing scorer, Ginobili, especially since he rarely plays fourth quarters. Unfortunately, Newton's fourth law of playoff basketball coaching says that the Thunder won't try this until they're down 2-0 or 3-1 and in desperate straits.

A lineup they're likely to use more regularly, however, is with Durant at the 4. This forces a major adjustment for San Antonio, which must either attempt to hide Diaw or Bonner on a perimeter player or go to a smaller lineup of its own. Oklahoma City's lineups with Durant at the 4 this season were extremely productive -- of the six small-ball lineups that played more than 20 minutes, five outscored opponents by more than 12.0 points per 48 minutes.

The average for those lineups was plus-13.0 in 479 minutes, accounting for nearly a third of the Thunder's point differential edge on the season; the rest of the time the Thunder were plus-4.8.

Oklahoma City couldn't get away with this look against the Lakers because of matchups, but the Spurs are unlikely to line up two 7-footers against them all game the way L.A. did. (Though one supposes it's possible with a Tim Duncan-Splitter combo.)

That's the good news. The bad news is that they used these lineups against the Spurs in the regular season and still got beat. The Thunder used four smalls for 18, 16 and 28 minutes, respectively, in the three regular-season meetings. These games were before they acquired Fisher; if they were willing to line up this way even if it means putting erratic rookie Reggie Jackson or little-used Royal Ivey and Lazar Hayward on the floor, they're likely to ride it even longer with Fisher.

Nonetheless, this grouping did seem to have an effect. The small-ball lineup guys had the best plus-minus numbers over the three games; Hayward was plus-11 and Jackson was plus-12, for instance, and those were the two whose use was most exclusive to the small grouping; Collison, who is usually the center with that arrangement, was plus-15.

Unfortunately, OKC is about to run into a buzzsaw. San Antonio's numbers of late are video-game crazy: The Spurs not only have 18 straight wins, but they are 32-3 in their past 35 games. The most amazing stat is that they're 24-3 in their past 27 road games, with two of three defeats coming when they decided to rest their starters.

That's the scarier part; when you take out games the Spurs tanked, they're record really starts looking good. In the last 47 games Tony Parker played, for instance, they're 43-4.

Did you hear me? FORTY-THREE AND FOUR!

If it took them 47 games to lose four times with Parker, I'm guessing it will take more than seven for them to lose four more.

That's why I keep saying nobody is beating this San Antonio team; it's a tribute to the Thunder's talent that they'll be able to make this series somewhat competitive. But it will also show the young Thunder how much further they have to go to match the franchise they've worked so hard to emulate. San Antonio will finally lose a game, but I doubt it will lose more than once.

Statistical support provided by NBA.com

I have to agree with Hollinger on this one. That 43-4 record its unreal...

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Soooo pumped about this series that I just dropped some cash on tickets to go to Sunday's game. I couldn't resist. It's going to be an amazing series for fans of the game.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Youth versus experience, who will win out, honestly this is a tossup series.

DD

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Spurs are favs.... but when the Thunder are at the top of their game..... the Spurs will have to throw in more to beat them.

Hollinger only cares about offensive PER....... Spurs are the new D'Antoni's Suns

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Actually Thunder's starting line up looks better on paper than in reality....

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The thunder are young, but they forget... these young guys have experience to boot. This will be epic. I think durant is going to give them fits.

7. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Comparing the two, the Spurs haven't lost yet in the post-season. This is a factor for me. For the Thunder to win, they must beat the Spurs badly or break their hearts in the close game to damage their spirit. The Spurs are ballin' right now.

You need experience, an explosive talent and/or a strategic team to advance. I'm going with the Spurs by a very thin margin. I hope this will be an exciting series regardless who'll win.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hollinger basically says that the Spurs have more depth and are smarter than the Thunder. Can't argue with that. San Antonio is running like a machine right now.

This is going to be a great series. I don't think Miami can beat either team. So this is the real Finals. Kind of like the Lakers-Kings series years back.

Just pray that the refs don't ruin it.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

His comment on how the Spurs force teams to make coordinated rotations on defense for long periods of time hits the nail on the head. OKC tends to do this for short periods of time (usually late in games) but over 48 minutes it will be very tough. I don't think they are capable.

The Spurs bench advantage is huge. Their productivity is amazing. With Maynor not playing, OKC's bench is James Harden, Nick Collison + scrubs.

Lastly, Pop is 10 times the coach Scott Brooks is. If OKC throws something new at the Spurs that works well, Pop will make an adjustment to nullify it. If the Spurs need to throw out a new wrinkle, Brooks will wait 2 games before adjusting (I exaggerate for effect).

I just cannot see OKC winning this series. I was mildly concerned about Dallas and wasn't worried about the Lakers at all. But the Spurs are the perfect team to take OKC down in 5 or 6 games. Even if OKC wins 1 of the first 2 games in San Antonio, I promise you the Spurs will break serve back in OKC and close them out 6 (at the most).

10. jlwee

jlwee Member

I would like to see how Pop slows down Westbrook in this series.

11. teebone21

teebone21 Member

spurs will lose game one i foresee.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I'm very confident OKC will win this series. SAS hasn't been challenged defensively one damn bit for a while now, and OKC presents 3 of most explosive scorers in this league, and arguably the best scorer in the league. And SAS' D was average at best all reg. season, allowing teams to shoot 45.2%, good for middle of the pack.

While OKC certainly won't shut down the Spurs, they were the 3rd best defensive team in the reg. season in terms of fg% allowed at 42.7%. And they have the athleticism/length/quickness to challenge the Spurs.

I'm picking OKC in 6. Durant is going to explode in this series. Spurs have NOBODY with length to challenge Durant's jumpshot. He'll just go to his spots with tremendous ease. IF he doesn't average 32-33+ in this series, I'll be shocked. He had faced Marion/Artest, 2 of the best perimeter defenders so far. And outside of the first 2 games v. the Mavs, he has been pretty much lights out with his shooting. And he'll have a much easier time this series. This series is his to dominate.

#12 t_mac1, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Simple: Take away what WB likes to do most. Key on him when he has the ball and be prepared to challenge his drives to the rim. Take away the 12-15 ft jumpers and push him further out. Lastly and most importantly, TP will attack WB relentlessly and make him work on defense. When WB falls asleep or gambles, TP will make him pay dearly. They best way to defend a scoring PG is to attack them at the other end and make them work. When TP exploded for 42 points on OKC in the regular season, WB was helpless to stop him (and OKC's team defense was sorry). It was brutal.

14. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

The problem is, you can't take away Westbrook's drive AND his midrange jumper. It really is a pick your poison situation.

Like everyone else has said, this will be an amazing series, certainly one to watch.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Yup WB is growing up in the playoffs as we speak. The Lakers and Mavs have DARED him to shoot, and he's taking great shots, and making them.

He's clearly a superstar now.

16. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Kawhi Leonard is 6'7 with a 7'3 wingspan - and hes already one of the best wing defenders in the game

17. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

spurs fan galore in here. :grin:

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

:eek:

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

20. Fefo

Fefo Member

Spurs defense is pretty good actually... Both utah and lac have top 10 offenses and against the spurs they looked like crap. They are not a top 5 defensive team anymore, but they are better than okc for sure. I think the spurs will win in 5 or 6 .