1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Elon vs Twitter update: Elon in Israel !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Mar 26, 2022.

?

Who is for democracy?

1. Elon

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. Twitter

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Chinese democracy by Guns N Roses

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's what most people with common sense in the tech industry hope - that the impending round of layoffs in almost every tech company because of the downturn will sweep out the woke activist assholes most people who just want to get a job done really hate anyway.

Their sense of entitlement is almost always paired with massive underperformance on the actual job.

Every other tech CEO will know what I am talking about. But of course, almost nobody will openly talk about it.

MojoMan likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Looks like Musk is using the bots thing as a scapegoat to back out of the deal:

https://www.teslarati.com/musk-seeks-twitter-discount-believes-20-percent-of-accounts-are-spam/

“Our view is while Musk is committed to the deal the massive pressure on Tesla’s stock since the deal a changing stock market/risk environment [over] the last month, and a number of other financing factors has caused Musk to get ‘cold feet’ on the Twitter deal with the bot issue not a new issue and likely more of a scapegoat to push for a lower price,” Wedbush’s Dan Ives said in a note to investors earlier today​

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Your source literally said "a scapegoat to push for a lower price", not to back out of the deal.

You should hope Musk will buy twitter instead of consistently wish for the worst. Twitter is dying like Facebook and Twitter is one of the better social media platforms out there.

tinman and MojoMan like this.
  5. durvasa

The "deal" is the current price. Maybe he's pushing for a different deal at a reduced price. Or maybe he's having second thoughts on the whole thing.

I don't think I expressed a wish one way or the other.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually am a fan of Musk buying Twitter. I don't think he's going to turn it into some right-wing paradise that a lot on the right believe. He's a savvy businessman and fashions himself as a humanitarian above politics (like many other megalomaniacs) - so I agree I don't think he is backing out, I think he's trying to use whatever he can to get better leverage probably because he's actually realizing he may be overpaying for it.

But yeah, I think he really wants to buy it.

Space Ghost, Os Trigonum and MojoMan like this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

buyer's remorse!

Elon Musk says Twitter deal can't happen until until he sees more information about the prevalence of spam accounts.

contrast Musk's amateurish attempt to buy an expensive asset to the ultimate professional investor,

#1127 adoo, May 17, 2022
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
    Sajan likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MojoMan, AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  9. durvasa

Did Musk point to any evidence of these "termites", or is he just speculating with that 20%+ figure?

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no idea

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

What new information did Musk get between when he submitted the offer and now?
    It's not like he didn't know twitter is full of spam/bots before then...

If he suspected it was, why not get that clarified before submitted an idiotic offer?

12. adoo

adoo Member

invalid comparison.

Musk, and everyone else, knew that twitter has spams accounts. this was before he made the offer to buy twitter

Sajan likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

arguments can be invalid, analogies can only be inapt

14. Space Ghost

There were people who actually said Elon's Twitter bid was a low ball offer. The guy is besties with the ex-CEO. He knew exactly what he was getting into.

Bid high knowing you're over bidding to convince stock holders to buy in.
    Renegotiate and expose Twitter.

He has put everyone in a bad spot. If Elon pulls out, Twitter stock goes into the gutter.

15. durvasa

So he bids high and criticizes Twitter board for hurting its investors by not agreeing to such a great deal, and then proceeds to blackmail (or so it appears) by "exposing Twitter" while trying to renegotiate to a much lower price than what was agreed to. All while making claims and offering no evidence for those claims.

Seems rather unethical to me.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wow so much hate.

Nobody is as entitled as conservatives and republicans, and it's amazing that the most woke state in the U.S. is the the one that houses most of the tech industry but a lot of the workforce underperforms.

Makes total sense.

it's fascinating what sets you off.

So much hate my guy so early in the morning, did you get denied last night or was it your turn to bottom?

17. Space Ghost

But completely ethical for Twitter to misrepresent users in their network

AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn’t want to pay tons of money for a bunch of Ben Simmons

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. durvasa

Twitter knowingly misrepresenting the number of bot users would also be unethical, if that's indeed what happened.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There’s some entitled wokesters in those companies
    A little birdie told me