1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elon vs Twitter update: Elon in Israel !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Mar 26, 2022.

?

Who is for democracy?

1. Elon

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. Twitter

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Chinese democracy by Guns N Roses

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. TheresTheDagger

2. Xopher

Xopher Member

So Truth Social was another Trump failure. How many is that now?

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You should thank elon musk for exposing this failure

AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Elon rules
    All these other car companies are making electric cars because of Elon
    Not because they give a damn about the earth
    They saw him make money

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

8. astros123

astros123 Member

I don't understand how any of you right wingers pretend twitter is somehow better now. If you pay the 9 dollar check mark your responses to any tweet are always at the top. How the hell is paying more money for people to see your responses somehow more "1st amendment" or freedom. Go to any politician/leader and all you'll see at the top of each tweet is nothing but opposite party trolls.

Whatever responses that get most likes should be getting highlighted not whoever pays 9 dollars to troll. God twitter has become such a shithole and its sad you right wingers somehow pretend musk has done good.

It's just funny how right wingers monetize every "freedom" then sell it and idiots just eat it up.

Sajan likes this.
  9. Xopher

Xopher Member

See that's where you are wrong you damn leftist. The blue check is only 8 dollars a month. So I am going to ignore the valid points you made and point out you are wrong on the 9 dollars and tell you, you have been owned! (Okay I'm done cosplaying as a right winger for the day)

Sajan likes this.
  10. astros123

astros123 Member

What do all the right wing morons want to say now about musk? You fokks still on your knees bootkicking him? I never understood the musk cult as he's such an obvious conman. Free speech my ass. These right wing billionaires are always frauds selling a con to their sheep.

He releases selective twitter files to match his narrative and his cult kiss his ass. It's so funny

clos4life and Xopher like this.
  11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

"Twitter? Never heard of him."

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Space Ghost

Im sure this is a nothingburger.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Maybe there is a "plan" for twitter..... Odd he's waited this long to submit that application..... seems like something that should have be done immediately.

16. Space Ghost

He has stated from the beginning he wanted it to be something similar to WeChat.

You would have to check with the super smart people here, but Im fairly certain it takes significant planning before one can submit an application. I dont think its quite as easy to say "lel, I want to hold customers funds like FTX".

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Why does everyone hate PayPal. I haven’t used in 2 decades

Sajan likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

Significant planning eh...... like the type where you planned to shell out $44 billion for a company that is worth $44 billion?

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In yesterday's House hearings it was revealed that the Trump administration also asked Twitter to take down tweets that were insulting towards Donald Trump. Also that Twitter made exceptions for Trump regarding allowing his tweets to remain even though they violated their terms of service. On the NY Post story about Hunter Biden's laptop Twitter did block the story for 24 hour but did reinstate it.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...house-oversight-hunter-biden-laptop-rcna69669
    Chrissy Teigen's Trump diss takes center stage at House hearing meant to discuss Hunter Biden
    The House Oversight Committee had been questioning former Twitter executives about the platform’s handling of New York Post articles about Hunter Biden in 2020.

The House Republicans' hearing on Twitter's “role in suppressing the Biden laptop story” took some unexpected twists Wednesday — including one witness testifying that the White House had requested the platform remove a Chrissy Teigen tweet insulting then-President Donald Trump.

In questioning during the House Oversight Committee hearing focused on Hunter Biden, Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., asked Anika Collier Navaroli, a former employee of Twitter’s content moderation team, about a September 2019 exchange between Trump and Teigen. The president had tweeted about "boring" musician John Legend and his "filthy-mouthed" wife.

Teigen responded with a crude tweet insulting Trump, which included a word he notoriously used in the "Access Hollywood" tape.

"The White House almost immediately thereafter contacted Twitter to demand the tweet be taken down. Is that accurate?" Connolly asked.

"I do remember hearing we'd received a request from the White House to make sure we evaluated this tweet, and they wanted it to come down because it was a derogatory statement directed at the president," Navaroli said. The tweet, however, was not taken down.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., used the hearing to push back against Republican claims that Twitter is biased against conservatives. She asked Navaroli about the company's response to a 2019 Trump tweet where he called for Ocasio-Cortez and three other Democratic congresswomen of color to "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came.”

Navaroli said her team reviewed the tweet and found it was in violation of Twitter's policies against abuse of immigrants, which explicitly barred the phrase "go back to where you came from."

Navaroli said her assessment was overridden, and Ocasio-Cortez asked if the policy was changed "a day or two later."

"Yes, that trope, go back to where you came from, was removed from the content moderation guidance as an example," Navaroli said.

"So Twitter changed their own policy after the president violated it in order to essentially accommodate his tweet?" Ocasio-Cortez asked. "Yes," Navaroli said.

"So much for bias against right wing on Twitter," the congresswoman said.

Democrats weren't the only ones to stray from the hearing's topic. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., used her time to chide the former executives who were present for banning her personal account in January of last year for spreading Covid misinformation.

"Consider your speech banned because you banned mine," Greene told the group. "You violated my First Amendment rights," she said, and "abused the power of a large corporation."

"I'm so glad you lost your jobs," Greene told the former executives. "Thank God Elon Musk bought Twitter," she added, referring to the billionaire who's since restored her account.

Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., took a similar tack, shouting at the former executives for Twitter limiting her account's reach for 90 days in 2021. She said the action was taken because of a tweet that was a "frickin' joke about Hillary Clinton," one that referred to the 2020 election as rigged.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" Boebert yelled at the former executives.

Rep. Nancy Mace, R-S.C., used her time at the hearing to complain about Twitter having barred some doctors for offering contradicting views from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Covid and vaccines.

"I find it extremely alarming Twitter’s unfettered censorship spread into medical fields," Mace said.

"I along with many Americans have longterm effects from Covid," Mace said. "Not only was I long-hauler, but I have effects from the vaccine. It wasn’t the first shot but it was a second shot that I now developed asthma that has never gone away since I had the second shot. I have tremors in my left hand and I have the occasional heart pain that no doctor can explain."

She then questioned how Twitter knew how to censor certain medical professionals, and asked former Twitter general counsel Vijaya Gadde, "You're not a doctor, right?"

"No, I am not," Gadde responded.

Hearing was to focus on Biden reporting
    The witnesses were called before the committee to answer questions about the platform’s handling of New York Post reporting in 2020 about the alleged contents of a laptop owned by Hunter Biden, in which the social media company controversially blocked users from tweeting and direct-messaging about it.

In excerpts of prepared remarks released ahead of the hearing, Rep. James Comer, R-Ky., chair of the committee, alleged that “Big Tech autocrats wield their unchecked power to suppress the speech of Americans to promote their preferred political opinions.”

Comer charged that Twitter’s handling of the stories showed there was a “coordinated campaign by social media companies, mainstream news, and the intelligence community to suppress and delegitimize the existence of Hunter Biden’s laptop" and its contents.

James Baker, Twitter's former deputy general counsel, said, "I was not aware of and certainly did not engage in any conspiracy" with government or campaign officials to suppress the story.

"Moreover, I’m aware of no unlawful collusion with or direction from any government agency or political campaign on how Twitter should have handled the Hunter Biden laptop situation,” Baker said.

The move by Twitter executives to limit the spread of the Post articles happened weeks before the November 2020 presidential election. Twitter backtracked 24 hours later, allowing users to share links to the articles, but the main Post account was suspended for two weeks for refusing to delete its initial tweets, Gadde told the panel.

Yoel Roth, Twitter's former head of trust and safety, said the company had concerns because the story "at first glance bore a lot of similarities to the 2016 Russian hack and leak operation targeting the DNC. We had to decide what to do. And in that moment, with limited information, we made a mistake."

He added that these "decisions aren't straightforward," and the company had "wanted to avoid making the same mistake as 2016."

The panel’s top Democrat, Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland, blasted the hearing as a “trivial pursuit” about a news article that had “no discernible effect on anything” and that was given significant exposure on other social media platforms and in right-wing media during the brief time it was blocked on Twitter.

“Silly does not even begin to capture this obsession,” Raskin said.

The White House dismissed the committee hearing as a “bizarre political stunt” a day after the president delivered his second State of the Union address.

“This appears to be the latest effort by the House Republican majority’s most extreme MAGA members to question and re-litigate the outcome of the 2020 election,” White House spokesperson Ian Sams said in a statement.

“This is not what the American people want their leaders to work on. As the president has said and made his focus, the American people expect their leaders to work together in a bipartisan way on the issues that most impact their lives and their families, not attack his family with long-debunked conspiracy theories,” he continued.
    More at link.

dmoneybangbang and Amiga like this.