1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elon vs Twitter update: Elon in Israel !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Mar 26, 2022.

?

Who is for democracy?

1. Elon

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. Twitter

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Chinese democracy by Guns N Roses

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Twitter already has its best days behind it.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What about people who faced propaganda and were unable to respond to it due to previous Twitter management's selective silencing of their speech (often directed by the US government)? These people got threatened as well, lost their jobs, etc.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

First, you think it's "often directed by the US gov" because of the propaganda from Musk's selective release. We know that Twitter "silence" people for breaking their TOS. Most of it is automatically done through their internal algorithms. A good number of it is from Twitter users reporting the violation. Then probably a small % is from the gov pointing out those violations.

If you break social media's ToS, like it or not, you face the consequences of it. It definitely could be biased by the ALG and the people making those judgments. That's not propaganda - that's simply just bias.

Conservatives often complain that social media platforms are biased against them. They are both right and wrong. Let's look at the data.

Twitter's internal study shows their algorithms are biased toward right-wing politicians and news outlets. FB has a similar bias. It's incorrect to think there is bias against conservative politicians and news outlets.

A recent academic study shows that there isn't a bias toward either conservative or liberal on Twitter. But there is a bias toward "silencing" misinformation. Because conservative spread misinformation more than liberal, they are "silenced" more. The bias here (and not really bias, but their ToS) is against misinformation, not political leaning.

Social media companies are often accused of anti-conservative bias, particularly in terms of which users they suspend. Here, we evaluate this possibility empirically. We begin with a survey of 4,900 Americans, which showed strong bi-partisan support for social media companies taking actions against online misinformation. We then investigated potential political bias in suspension patterns and identified a set of 9,000 politically engaged Twitter users, half Democratic and half Republican, in October 2020, and followed them through the six months after the U.S. 2020 election.

During that period, while only 7.7% of the Democratic users were suspended, 35.6% of the Republican users were suspended. The Republican users, however, shared substantially more news from misinformation sites –as judged by either fact-checkers or politically balanced crowds –than the Democratic users. Critically, we found that users’ misinformation sharing was as predictive of suspension as was their political orientation. Thus, the observation that Republicans were more likely to be suspended than Democrats provides no support for the claim that Twitter showed political bias in its suspension practices. Instead, the observed asymmetry could be explained entirely by the tendency of Republicans to share more misinformation. While support for action against misinformation is bipartisan, the sharing of misinformation –at least at this historical moment –is heavily asymmetric across parties. As a result, our study shows that it is inappropriate to make inferences about political bias from asymmetries in suspension rates.

What Musk is doing with the Twitter file has nothing to do with Twitter's TOS. He's purposely releasing selective internal emails to selective media to tell a story - that's propaganda. His propaganda harms the people he targeted.

People who lost their job or has been threatened has nothing to do with Twitter or FB or other social media platform but has to do with 1) the content they posted, 2) social media mob backlash, and 3) post from other individual influencers "attacking" them. Threats are never justified but losing one job is sometimes justified and personally, I think often not at all. Personally, I absolutely hate social media mob but again, let's not confuse that with Twitter or social media itself. Twitter is not the mob, but the vehicle for the mob to operate on. It's also the vehicle for influencers to operate. Musk, as the #1 social media influencer with a huge following, is providing propagandist "content" for social media mobs to attack/threaten people. He's part of the problem.

EDIT: add links

#3403 Amiga, Jan 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    dmoneybangbang and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You telling me Matt Taibbi and Bari Weiss aren't objective journalists?

@AroundTheWorld , you going to accept this slander of two distinguished straight line shooters?

astros123 likes this.
  5. hooroo

hooroo Member

they replaced latest tweets search with their algorithm search. it's a near useless echo chamber now.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

At the end of the day that's what cult leaders want. Elon has the same goals as people like Hubbard or Erhard. A group of people that will defend his abuse of power at all costs.

dmoneybangbang and astros123 like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm going to have to disagree. I prefer to see him not succeed because I think he's an ******* and I don't like ******* succeeding. Putting aside the political and assholy of Musk, what he's basically doing is making unconventional and unproven changes at a very fast past. As long as he can withstand the bleeding financially, there is a chance one or multiple of those changes caught on and become a huge success.

8. fchowd0311

He's trying to turn Twitter's engagement similar to something like YouTube were you are no more than 2 clicks away from straight up right wing anti-women "anti-woke" content just from looking up something as benign as relationship advice.

astros123 likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Seriously, I don't think he even knows what he's doing. But... when you try and fail over and over, as long as you learn from it and improve on it, you eventually will get there given you can survive the path.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Almost every highly successful entrepreneur/rich person is an ahole. Why are you fixated on this one?
    He is the only one who goes against your programmed political ideology?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

No your ideology is programmed

12. astros123

astros123 Member

Taibbi entire thing for the past 5 years was tackling the pentagon and getting us troops to leave Afghanistan. When biden actually pulled out he told the media biden is simply doing what the deep state wants him to do and he deserved no credit for the withdrawal. The guy is a utter loser who's a effin hack

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There are plenty of very successful entrepreneurs/rich people that aren't ahole. Musk used to be one of them (at least I thought so).

It seems I have an ideology against ahole ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Maybe I should be fixated on the Koch brothers to make your point, but unfortunately, this is probably the first and last time I ever mentioned Koch on this forum. Good luck reconciling that thought.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Musk has always been an ahole. He has become an extremely antagonist troll since Covid and that is what is getting you upset. Wishing his empire to fail because of this is incredibly ignorant and terrible for our country. I simply do not understand why people like you are perfectly fine with China and Europe leading the EV race and Space race because this man disagrees with your political ideologue.

You don't become wealthy and successful by being a kind, fair and agreeable person.

The only ultra wealthy person I've seen who has not displayed ahole tendencies is Jack Dorsey. I'm sure there are a few others but they are far and few.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Maybe. I watched plenty of his talks for hours and he was very non-assholy. Maybe that was just a public image he wanted to portray back then.

So that's the problem you had with my comment. I prefer ******* to fail (it was about Twitter btw) doesn't mean I wish China and EU or whoever else take the lead over the US on space, EV, BCI, or anything else. Musk is not the gate to the US future. He is just one immortal man that is a supreme *******. Let's not worship such a guy. ;)

ps. for months, I thought it was just trolling but nay, it's not trolling.

16. Buck Turgidson

"Glenn Greenwald writes well"

I could @ some people from back in the day, but they know who they are

astros123 likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

All those who used to be his biggest stans, but now don't like him anymore?

Goes both ways.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree a lot of highly successful people can be Aholes and I’m not bothered by Musk being an Ahole. I invested in Tesla more than 10 years ago and felt Musk had a good vision. I still think he does regarding technology and going to Mars but I think he’s gotten sidetracked and had gotten away from his core competency.

This whole Twitter thing is a costly side track from what made Musk successful.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

But rational people can see that and call him out on it. But elonstans doesn't criticize anything he does. everything is always part of some grand musk plan. and anyone who says anything about elon is now just a hater.

my issue with elon is he is shady. his whole act reeks of shadiness. says one thing when he is doing the opposite. or using that to do something else behind the scenes. he might fool the ones that are his worshippers...

we all have a friend like that. nothing they say can be taken at face value. the way to be friends with them is always asking yourself "how does what they just told you benefit them..."

20. Buck Turgidson

He sucked then and he sucks now.