1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elite Rebounding & Paint Protection vs. Stretch4/Spreading the Court

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

2. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

well if you only look at the po's Nazr Mohammed played pretty much the same amount of minutes and started in 23 of 23 games next to Duncan. So you basically saying Nazr is a stretch 4?

Nesterovic started in 70 games of 70 games played during the regular season.
    Or to say it in your words:'' Do you believe Nazr is the second coming of Larry Bird?''

3. lowlife

lowlife Member

In very bad shooting night, rockets were able to reach almost 100 points so i dont think offence will be a problem for rockets this year. I think its important to force a team to change their style of play. Lastly you shouldnt forget that twin towers will last for only about 10 minutes.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I am becoming a twin towers only fan even more and more by the second.
    Ebony and Ivory

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TZtiJN6yiik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. meh

meh Member

Look, just admit you knew nothing of the Spurs and had no idea what their rotation was like during Duncan's prime. It's not a big deal. You're probably a new fan who don't really know NBA history, and the Spurs were boring during those days. But instead you had to double down and now pretend you actually know who Nazr was, when he didn't get a single mention in your original post.

But I'll play along. Suppose you change your stance to Nazer/Duncan was the true "twin towers" in 2005 championship run, do you know who played more minutes than Nazer during the playoffs, and who was playing PF at the end of games?

Let me give you a hint. The guy was a stretch 4 who has a very famous nickname.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Define "balance." Wait, let me clarify: define "balance" as it relates to this roster and your proposed new roster; use names of real players.

"Balance wins championships" is an example of one of those truisms that barely mean anything. Like this:

"What's even more important is finding the optimal mix of guys." This statement gives no guidance about what is the optimal mix of guys, so it's useless.

"You could have the two best players in history, but if they are redundant, then it's not gonna work." This is begging the question. By definition, if two guys are redundant, then one is not working. But it begs the question of whether specific guys like Howard and Asik are redundant, also gives no suggestions for improvements.

Don't say "Trade Asik to improve the team"! It's useless. Say "Trade Asik for Player X to improve the team."

But, as I said before, we all just post here to pass the time, so say whatever you want.

1 person likes this.
  7. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

For me I see Asik as Rodman. There just there to get the rebound and be a defensive player. Another good thing about Asik is we also use him as a sub for Dwight. If we replace Asik theres no one who could fill that role. The person replacing Asik might be an awesome PF but whose going to sub for Dwight?

We already have a stretch 4 in Casspi and developing PF. I would rather wait and cheer on TT because no one in the league can replace Asik

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

When you are counting on something that has never happened before to happen, generally that is a bad bet.

9. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

Look, just admit you first of all didn't knew more than me of the Spurs and their rotation more than me and secondly didn't even bother to read my posts carefully. Rasho Nesterovic suffered an ankle injury during that season which forced him to miss games in the regular season and also in the po's. Thats the reason why Nazr didn't play that much during the regular season and why Pop tried several options like Massenburg, Mohammed and Horry for the starting lineup. Its no big deal like you said the Spurs were indeed boring and like you at that time i was busy watching the rockets (and magic since they were my primary teams back then as a european fan).

Regarding your comment about your famous stretch 4, lets take aside the fact that Rasho was not a 100% cause of that injury, lets pretend your famous 4 would have been Pop's first choice. What hast the fact, that Pop used Horry in late game situations (remember the word situational from my post?) and in the absence of the former starting pf to do with my point, that the regular player who played as a pf for the championship spurs was NOT a stretch 4?

Besides all that have a look at this br (i know i know br is bs generally but this one i think is at least a decent one)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...omer-asik-tandem-can-work-for-houston-rockets

i really would like you to stop this bs flaming of yours like:'' you probably are a new fan of the nba yadayada.''

I am watching the Nba since 1991. If you have a problem with what Im saying or what Im arguing for fine. Stay friendly tho ;)

10. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

12. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

Well i actually think contrary. If we want to go the next step we should even encourage him to do it, in practice and games over and over again (like 3-4 shots a game), so that he gains confidence and it gets automatic.

13. tadahito

tadahito Member

Twin Towers works against Memphis, Clippers, and maybe Portland because you negate their biggest advantage. Against other teams, it's counter-productive.
    On offense, you have:
    1.) a huge drop in fast break points.
    2.) less spacing for the 'superstars' to do their thing.
    3.) bad Free Throw shooting
    4.) big drop in corner three's simply because there's one less guy standing at the corner. Corner three's are the bread and butter of Moreyball. Chandler Parsons shoots 50% three's from the corner and 29% from the elbow. It was painful watching Parsons trying desperately to 'get his' against the Bobcats.

Twin Towers were outscored by the Bobcats by 4 points and outscored 29-17 in 14 minutes against Dallas in preseason. It's a small sample size, but we'll see more 'sample' the next few games.

14. allaroundplayer

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/

Why Asik's not available
    November, 1, 2013 8:19 AM ET
    By Nick Borges | ESPN.com

Omer Asik may have asked out in July after the Houston Rockets signed Dwight Howard, however the team did not acquiesce and at this time management still has no desire to deal the center, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Stein writes: "Team officials continue to privately insist that Asik is not available as long as he continues to flourish as a frontcourt starter next to Howard. Their premise: Houston's rim protection with Howard and Asik as a starting tandem -- with Chandler Parsons, Omri Casspi and Francisco Garcia all ready to step in as a small-ball power forward when McHale needs to mix things up -- is at such a special level that it would take something quite unique in return to consent to breaking them up."

Should Asik stay with the Rockets for all of 2013-14, he likely won't be dealt in 2014-15 as he set to make almost $15 million and he will be a free agent the following July. That combination, along with the Rockets' demands, will make it very hard for a team to want to trade for him next year.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

TT +6 in the Utah game.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You missed my point, I was not talking about roster balance, but offensive and defensive balance.

That you need both to win championships.

DD

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

TT a good match up against Utah's bigs. I actually thought they should have gone back to it to close out the 4th. Asik was beasting before he sat.

TT definitely has it's uses. But it is going to become fairly obvious that small ball is by far our best lineup.

18. meh

meh Member

Well, if you wish to define a player(Horry) that plays 25mpg "situational PF" and a guy(Nazr) who plays 23mpg but started "the true PF/C" then it's just a matter of you and me seeing things differently.

Personally, I don't think of players like Sam Cassell or Mario Ellie to "situational", if you wish to use some Rockets comps. But apparently you do, while you think players like Chucky Brown are more important. I can see how this is just a misunderstanding in terms of how we use words. If you feel all bench players are situational players, and all starters are vastly more important, then we just have a difference of perspective.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

No I didn't. My point is: define what you mean by balance.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I liked Asik better than Howard in this game. I'm not so fixated on TT, actually. I just think keeping Asik is our best option right now.