1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Either start Lin, or bring in a new starting PG, Bev ain't cuttin' it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

Okay.

2. Play07

Play07 Member

That's what cf writers in Houston said all summer, we need to have ball in hardens hands we need a spot up shooter, they don't know shi% about bball if we don't have Kobe or mj here, he'll harden was in okc with westrnkkk and Durant and they never won it all

3. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I do remember now, however, that Lillard got by Bev quite a few times but Howard came with the strong help defense and blocked or altered Lillard's shot many times. Seriously this was Dwight's best game and it's a shame we wasted it again on a loss

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

It seems to be the implication that it was mainly his doing No? And I am not even just talking about you or this singular thread I see this on a ton of other threads also. If A PG had a bad night out more often than not its because the TEAM had him on lock down not just 1 guy. And You are absolutely right people point to games where Reggie Jackson scored a ton as if Bev is solely to blame for that. But since when does two wrongs make a right?

5. pnr

pnr Member

Why? Based on this one game in which he was clearly rusty? The coach did him a favor by limiting his minutes.

6. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

This.

Harden needs Lin and vice versa.

May I remind everyone they were one of the best backcourt duos last season.

1 person likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is a bull**** cop out an you know it. A back handed wanna be complement that only a hater of Portland fan would make.

Lillard only scores 8 points? He must be off. Bev forced the ball out of Lillard's hands constantly. He wasn't open on screens either.

8. lfw

lfw Rookie

I agree Bev was forced the ball out of Lillard's hands and the times he got beat, there was a big that cleaned up after him.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

I did say that Bev was a positive on defense didn't I? I also did say that to state that Bev didn't have a good defensive effort tonight would be disingenuous. I am just stressing that defense is a team effort first and foremost. Not sure why that seems to ruffle feathers.

10. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

The public isn't "low" on him. He's a big reason why this team even made the playoffs. As for losing his starting role; Lin basically got benched for being a real PG (unlike Bev).

11. mikster

mikster Rookie

Sounds like a win win for every please make sure the GM sees the message.

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

Again, I'd welcome you pointing out where I said or implied that. And again, I will wait.

I simply find it very interesting that many of the same people here who drag Beverley when an opposing PG scores more than 5 points and mock his inability to hold them scoreless -- "I thought he was supposed to be a lockdown defender!" "Not quite the defender we thought he was, is he?" "Beverley is useless. ___ lit him up tonight!" -- suddenly grasp the concept of team/help defense when he has a strong game defensively. It's not a matter of two wrongs making a right, as I am one who has posted EXTENSIVELY about the impact of help defense -- not only in defense of Beverley, but in defense of Lin when people acted like he was a crap defender because he couldn't shut down CP3 all by his lonesome.

I'm merely acknowledging the hypocrisy and selective understanding of team defense when it suits a certain agenda, that's all. ;)

13. chris1989

chris1989 Member

Bev definitely is not a starter. His defense is better than average. Lillard had a rough night. He beats Bev to the dribble couple times, but with the help of Dwight he couldn't get anything. On the offensive side, Bev is not existed

14. amak316

amak316 Member

I'm not at all talking about today, there's a million reasons to limit his minutes today. Just his situation in general seems tough, he has a very short leash out there, and doesn't get a "fair" amount of playing time. Hope everything gets figured out either by trade or by the team correcting the issues.

15. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

No, it just makes Lin only Fans look bad. That is all it does.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Okay.

17. Play07

Play07 Member

If u told Lin to just rebound and play D don't worry about offense he would do it, never saw fans want a pg to play D and rebound like he is a PF or center CF is funny to me, when have the rockets ever wanted a guy to do this since smith cassell to recent Lowry dragic ?

18. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Can't argue there. Bev is the worst starting PG in the league and will lose his starting position as soon as Lin is moved.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

And I don't disagree with you on the selective hypocrisy I see it alot on NBA boards and to be honest I am guilty of it too at times. And there have been games where Bev had a poor defensive effort (extremely foul prone, gambiling to much etc but also where guys weren't switching, helping and lack of Asik/DH12 down low and it made bev look bad when it wasn't his fault).

Maybe it wasn't implied by you but it was implied by others. And yes I am fully aware that implications are a subjective concept etc.

Whatever. I am just stressing the importance of team defense that is all. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I would say more on the topic but I can tell it will ruffle feathers and I don't think we need the drama coming off a tough loss.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

Check Morey's twitter mentions most days. There's already a large contingent of Lin fans who harass him around the clock about the organization mistreating him and begging for him to be traded. I can't imagine it fosters a whole lot of positivity behind the scenes.