1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Either start Lin, or bring in a new starting PG, Bev ain't cuttin' it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

anyway this lost was a given better they lose and get blown out and stay healthy than lose try and pick up needless injuries. besides that , heck anytime we got excuse to whip out the pitchforks and flames , hell yea i am into it! what the heck it's fun .

2. King1

King1 Member

I don't want Bev as a starter either

3. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Really? Because both Harden and Howard have done both, in the exact same two-game sequence as Lin.

This is the kind of stuff I don't get. Where do you guys come up with some of these weird generalities that somehow are only applied to Lin.

Players in their 4th year are going to be what they're going to be? Really?

Players don't look like an all-star one night and then garbage the next? Every single player in the league has had ups and downs, including Hall-of-Famers. Every. Single. Player. The only people who maybe are going to be consistent are the bad players, because they don't have the skill to produce more than their talent, and they won't have enough playing time to "luck into" a crazy game once in a while. Unless you count a 0-point game to a 7-point game a huge swing, as opposed to a 10-point game to a 30-point game...

The problem right now is that everyone has been playing too many minutes. In fact, they've been playing too many injured minutes, which will only exacerbate problems as the season goes on. I don't think Harden has felt 100% since the season started with foot/ankle issues across the board. Howard is always going to have chronic back issues that will need to be managed over the course of a season, and with Asik out, there hasn't been enough consistent production from the backup bigs to give Howard meaningful rest. Parsons is probably still feeling the effects of those back spasms, and is averaging a ridiculous 37.6 MPG thus far, which is actually higher than his average last year (and we never heard about back spasms so painful that he had to get a special acupuncturist last season). Lin has had both the knee injury and back spasms.

Someone was making some snarky comment about how the team has won all of these back-to-back games this season as proof that McHale knows what he's doing with player minutes/rotations. The issue isn't back-to-back games. The issue is the whole season. Guys can push through pain and give you that extra 5-10 minutes, sure. But it's going to come back to bite you in the ass when you are 70 games in and everyone is limping across the finish line. Try getting deep into the playoffs when that happens.

4. SirKen

SirKen Member

This so much!

Why is he playing timid though? Why would he revert back to that after having some decent games? I have an answer for that but most people don't like it when I criticize McHale.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Same here. I'll even be okay with us going after a vet like Andre Miller. But I really just want Dragic or Lowry back.

6. bws

bws Member

I'd like to see a PG mentor/coach/advisor or something like that on this team and someone to talk to Harden about letting the PGs be PGs. I think Bev does some things really well. He's a pretty secure dribbler but he also plays off the ball pretty well, he cuts. He doesn't break down the defense that well, that's not his game. Brooks can break down the defense but tends to look for his shot too much and sometimes dribbles in circles. Lin really is the weakest dribbler in a way and sometimes he's too fast for his own feet and needs to work on his balance. But, he has the best court vision, he's the best passer, he has good stop and go, accelerate/decelerate, and penetrator finisher break down the defense player. He doesn't move off the ball enough, but maybe his stamina isn't up to snuff either. Defensively Bev is pretty sound, can maybe do a bit better on screens and Lin's posture is very sound but geez, he really has to do better staying with the 3 point shooter and not get burned so much. He doesn't need to help so much. Where the coach comes in is telling Harden that the PGs on the team need to playmake or run the offense more, not him, so they get in the practice of doing so and he also needs to play off the ball, way way better. He also has to learn not to be a ball stopper and get the ball not always to his preferred team mate, but to the one that can keep the ball movement going and trust them to find the open team mate. When Harden is called upon to do the playmaking, the guards will let him know. There can still be some ISOs at times and feeding Dwight is a big part of the game, but the PGs could do more. Of course, does McHale believe in this? I'm not so sure he does.

7. chuckle

chuckle New Member

Is there a way we can trade for Isaiah Thomas? He's so good at shooting, can hit clutch shots and also create for others. Would be a nice pair with Harden, on offense.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

I'd love to have Gogi back.

9. bws

bws Member

Time moves on and at least Dragic is in a system where he can play well. Can you get with supporting Lin and Bev? Because they are young (in terms of NBA games played) and have different strengths and if shown confidence in them, both have made winning plays when it counts.

10. SirKen

SirKen Member

OH GOD, SPOT ON! This was an issue with Harden last year and it still hasn't changed. I had a heart attack every time Harden was driving last year, dead worried that he was going to make his injury worse.

But what do we know?! We are all Asians who are Lin fans who only care about Lin's PT. Anything I forgot?

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

yes please finally a two way player, we can trade them lin and bev

12. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Lin is not a good fit. Bev is not a starting PG. If we're going after D-Will and his *****ty contract, should've just given Dragic his 4th year option. Letting Dragic go is starting to look bad.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Well you've sorta got it. I guess I just hold Lin to a higher standard then our other PGs, I firmly believe has the tools to be a very good PG in the league. Thats why it frustrates me more when he dribbles into the lane, jumps and turns it over as opposed to Brooks clanking it when he's cold from 3.

I want Lin to do well. I want Lin to keep improving like he has, because when hes firing, attacking and confident, hes a fantastic player, and gives us much more effective offense and affords Harden more slack.

Ultimately this team lives and dies by Harden and Howard. But if Lin can take the next step, with the pressure I know being unfair, it can go along way to making this team that much more dangerous. Beverley and Brooks cannot offer that. The are good players in their own right, Brooks is a great scorer when he's locked in from range, but he is such a negative defensively given his size or lackthereof. Beverley is a good on-ball defender and has an amazing mentality, but they don't have that extra gear that I think Lin does.

14. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Are you guys serious? when Kevin Durant drives you rather provide help d and let him drive and kick instead of letting him go all the way to the basket. Bball is a probability game, which one has a higher chance of scoring? KD driving in lane uncontested? or leaving Lamb open? I don't blame Lin for that particular play because that may have been his defensive assignment - to shut down KD's Lane and gamble on the 30 ~ 40 percent 3 pointers. Yall need to look at it objectively, JLin was terrible, Harden was terrible, Dwight got worked by Perkin and (WTF dwight mid range jumper????!?)

15. basketballholic

Trading for DWill may actually be a move to trade DWill elsewhere for young players/picks or as part of a package for a superstar we prefer over DWill. DWill may not be the end game here but he could be the piece that gets us to the end game.

16. bws

bws Member

Then you answered my question.

17. bws

bws Member

I agree, won't happen overnight. Development takes time. It did with Nash (not saying Lin is Nash, but he developed slowly and turned into a great PG). But glad to see a CF member recognizing that Lin can be a fantastic player because a lot of nights he is. Just have to take the good with the bad for awhile while he goes through his growing plains developing his game.

18. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

What FA is going to want to come here if we trade DWill after trading for him? And how is it possible for DWill to be traded TWICE (once by Nets, then by Rockets) for younger players/picks? That doesn't make any sense. If DWill comes here, I expect him to stay till his contract is over.

19. bws

bws Member

growing pains though plains is kind of funny

20. cw3k

cw3k Member

Have you see any of King's game? If you have, Thomas would not work in there. HE NEEDS THE BALL IN HIS HAND.

Any guard that needs the ball in his hand will not work in this team.

Just look at last night's game, at the first time out, McHale used his Q4 offensive plan, give the ball Harden.