1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Either start Lin, or bring in a new starting PG, Bev ain't cuttin' it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Dec 13, 2013.

1. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

Lebron + Wade >>>> Harden + Lin

Wait.. this is where we post irrelevant comparisons, right?

2. ERC

ERC Member

I was not trying to start a player A > player B debate. I was merely pointing out that the situations between Miami and us are different because LeBron is just on a totally different level of his own. Letting Chalmers run Miami's offense will hurt them, but letting Lin run our offense will only help us. (Granted, Lin has got to be more consistent.)

3. Chris Jent MVP

No, this is where we trade Beverley for Wade.

4. ERC

ERC Member

I agree. I honestly don't get why some folks think Harden & Lin can't share the floor together. The did last season and weren't they the #2 scoring backcourt just behind Curry/Thompson in the regular season? And look at how effective the Dragic/Bledsoe combo is. A Harden/Lin combo could easily top that.

5. amak316

amak316 Member

LeBron + random Dleaguer > Dwight + Harden

6. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

this "start the best 5 players" flys in the face of ginobili coming off the bench for the spurs.

again "coming off the bench" isn't really "coming off the bench" if you are essentially playing a starter role/minutes for the rest of the game and finishing the 4th quarter.

7. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

it doesn't have to be a play making point guard. just a play making ball handler :cough: parsons.

8. SirKen

SirKen Member

Hey hey hey! Watch out! Toronto recently got better through addition by subtraction (times 2).

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

That's a really bad example to use. Dragic & Bledsoe can both play off the ball. Bledsoe is a monster on the defensive end. Dragic does go under the screen like Lin at times but has the lateral quickness to recover.

Dwight fouls a lot. This team needs Dwight to stay on the floor. The Lin/Harden backcourt won't help that.

10. Chris Jent MVP

The Spurs (and Ginobili in particular) pulled off an epic choke job against the heat. Maybe Pops was right to bench him?

Either way, the Spurs are great but not perfect. One example does not prove anything.

Now that TT experiment is over, and Beverley is out for 6 weeks, Lin is back where he belongs and I expect him to stay there.

11. SugarLandDream8

Anyone using the Manu role in SA need to read this over and over again till they finally get it. I think some Lin-haters are intentionally pretending to be dumb.

Either Lin starts and get starter minutes or McHale will use any excuse to limit him and put him on a short leash.

Lin coming off the bench is not even comparable to Manu coming off the bench. Manu got his minutes always. He wasn't benched if he missed 1-2 shots then was limited to 15 minutes for the game. Manu was automatic for starter minutes game after game for years.

12. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

AND DIDN'T POP START GINOBLI IN GAME 6-7

13. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

some of that was pop not putting in duncan for defensive rebounds.

the spurs won 3 championships with their big 3...

that is a problem with mchale not the idea. ive always stated lin needs to come of the bench in the 1st quarter, but otherwise play the starter role for the rest of the game.

14. Chris Jent MVP

But McHale is the one with the idea to put him on the bench anyway. You can't seperate the idea from the execution since its the same person making the decision.

Lin should be getting starter minutes, in the starting lineup.

15. trock

trock Member

I gotta tell you, the Manu thing is a bit overplayed. He came to the NBA in his mid 20s and, of course, he initially came off the bench. He was a starter the majority of his late 20s. He went to the bench really when he was 30. By then, his relationship with Pop and the Spurs was pretty set. It's a bit of a unique situation.

Lin's clearly a better player than Bev and, honestly, I think he should be getting even more minutes than he does at this point. There was nothing that I can see last year that said Lin and Harden can't work together. They looked pretty good last year and were really missing a low post presence and consistent PF production. They can stagger minutes as the subs come in. Why would you not try it? Right now, the best argument for Bev starting seems to be that he stays out of the way. It's silly.

16. ERC

ERC Member

Valid point, but I was talking about the offensive end in my prior post. If one says the Lin/Harden combo doesn't work work because we can't afford a combination of bad D (Harden) & mediocre D (Lin, though he's shown much improvement this season), fine. But to say the combo doesn't work because Lin would only take the ball away from Harden, I disagree.

17. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

are you an organization insider? there is no way to know who's idea it is and who influences how it all goes down. there could be disagreements with the front office and mchale. we dont know that.

and yes we can separate the idea from implementation. mchale doesn't have the intellectual property rights on the idea. it's not the supporters of the idea's fault mchale can't implement it properly. that's all on mchale.

he should be getting starter minutes, but come in midway in the 1st to make the rotations easier and maximize lin's talents. if he starts he spend more time as a facilitator, then he spends less time as a score first guard (which he excels at).

18. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Sweet baby jesus is this real or were you being sarcastic? Cause if it is real, someone needs to check you for a brain tumor.

19. LoLin

LoLin Member

Mavericks.

20. SugarLandDream8

Man haters say the same nonsense all the time. The more they repeat it the more they believe it. Lin is a pass first PG. He avg less than 10 shots a game. Last year he took slightly more than 10 spg. His career avg is roughly 10 shots per game.

Lin also played and started all 82 games last year next to Harden. Lin led the team in apg. Harden got all the shots he wanted last year and had his best season of his career. Harden last year with Lin starting next to him > the Harden this year with Bev starting next to him.

Lin have not and will not take shots away from anyone. He takes 10 spg and he's a fairly high % guy.