1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin strikes probation deal with prosecutors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tyree, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Tyree

Tyree Member

Eddie Griffin strikes probation deal with prosecutors
    By ANDREW TILGHMAN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Former Houston Rocket Eddie Griffin's alcohol problems may have harmed his basketball career, but he reached a deal with prosecutors today that could keep him out of prison.

Griffin, 21, was ordered to serve 18 months' probation after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of deadly conduct. The plea was part of a deal that resolves a felony charge of aggravated assault that could have sent him to prison for up to 20 years.

Griffin was accused in October of punching a young woman and firing a gun at her after she walked into his southwest Houston mansion and found him in bed with another woman.

State District Judge Mike Anderson also ordered Griffin to continue his outpatient treatment for alcohol abuse, pay a $2,000 fine and, like others on probation, stay employed.

"That can be wherever you want," Anderson said. "Maybe you can hook up with another team. That's fine, as long as you have a job."

Griffin, a forward, was released from the Rockets in December after a series of problems that began with his skipping a preseason road trip and later involved criminal charges and several weeks in jail.

He later signed with the New Jersey Nets, but the team waived him last month.

Also today, Griffin was sentenced for an unrelated conviction from January, when a small bag of mar1juana was found in his car during a traffic stop. County Criminal Court at Law Judge Larry Standley ordered him to pay a $1,000 fine and suspended his driver's license for six months.

Griffin declined to comment after his court appearance.

"I think it's fair to Eddie," his attorney, Rusty Hardin, said of the agreement. "It gives him a chance to get going again."

Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Devine said the victim in the case was consulted before the plea agreement was reached.

wonder if Eddie will try and play in the NBA with the rockets again...he has to get a job somewhere..

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Please post links if you post an article.

3. user

user Member

Stack24 could have some use of him for this Rockets viewing party.

Someone please come up with an ideal job for our former 3 first rounders.

4. Tyree

Tyree Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2464540

Sorry Clutch....btw, please dont ban me for this but mrdave543 asked me to ask you to respond to his e-mails, sorry if its none of my business

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Let's sign him. :D

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

hmmm, we should sign him....

...as a ball boy.

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

LoL....

:D

I guess i could fine something....

8. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

If Griffin ever get back to basketball court, he could be as good as K Brown. What a waste of talent...

9. user

user Member

Oh, I got it! We can sign him as our hit man ...... I mean enforcer, right?! Be afraid, Amare!!

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Who knows we can still sign him for the minimum see if would like a second chance.

11. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

it sounds like the judge wants him to get a job, and ummm.. were in desperate need of a PF.

I would sign EGrfiffin to the minimum and see how he works out.. if you dont want to play him sign him and keep him on the IL but let him travel with the team and practice with the team.

I like what the kid can do.. is he crazy yes! is he full of potential yes! will he be a great BB player? probably not. But I think he would be a great fit with the Rox.. people wanted Rasheed.. well EGriffin is Rasheed light (and younger) .. mix of Cato's shot blocking and defense and some offense to go with it. I think he would fill our need perfectly..

J

12. choujie

choujie Member

People never change. Griffin was given all the chances by Rockets and Nets and he screwed up all of them. He doesn't deserve chance no more. I'd rather have players like TMO and Hawkins.

13. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

no one is saying offer him a long term deal but give him a chance for the minimum. It could be worth it long term.. we are really hurting for a PF and he could be one of the best out there (if he gets his act together) and would really have us in a good position come next season.

my ideal situation would be to let EGriffin try out for the team and see how his rehab comes along and if he earns a spot on our roster so be it.

J

14. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I just don't see how he could help us. The man is an alcoholic, and he wasn't even that good when he was playing. He hasn't played basketball all year either. I'd rather just give Spoon more minutes.

15. user

user Member

If the last missing piece of our puzzle is a good PF, why go with the cheap one? Are you willing to bet our championship on a minimum PF? I don't. If we recognize the biggest hole in the team, we don't solve it 'by the way'. We address it seriously, spend big bucks, hmm... Les spends big bucks.

Anyway, EG got his 2nd, 3rd, 4th... chances already with and without the Rockets. It's time to move on. Without EG and Moochie, we are not longer "the best team assemblied ever." Need to find a good PF instead of betting on a minimum waged one.

16. YaoFan

YaoFan Contributing Member

If we sign him now, why did we waive him in the first place?

But still I'd give him a chance.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

People seem to tremble when they talk to you Clutch:D

Was mrdave the "curses all the time in chat" guy?

18. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Despite everything, the opportunity to pick of EG now should be seriously looked at. Baker is doing fine in NY and we have already paid alot for EG. This team is very different from last year with more players who can help him. His treatment is in Houston anyway and he lives here. If the courts can give him such a break, we could do the same.

19. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

he's way too young to give up on. Pick him up asap.

20. notafaker

notafaker Member

Well we cant sign him now because of cap rule unless we sign him to a richer or the same contract we already had sign hime to. So no min deal for him. Reason why cause no one claimed him off waivers before he sign the min deal with NJ.