1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Early Look at Texans Draft Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

I have never watched him play. Obviously leading the team in tackles he is good against the run, but does he have cover skills and quickness to take on a third receiver or a fast RB man-to-man? Is he more of SS or FS? I would love for this team to replace CC Brown with a stud Brian Dawkins-type, but is he really that good a safety that will go top 10? IIRC those guys tend to be ridiculous physical specimens like Roy Williams or Sean Taylor - guys who are almost as big and strong as a linebacker but run like cornerbacks.

#21 Ottomaton, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

It's been the mantra since the second draft, but it still holds true.

other than qb, bpa. After the move to the 4-3 and the addition of Demeco, you can add mlb to that short list now.

Texans need talent just about everywhere.

3. weslinder

weslinder Member

He plays more of a free-safety at LSU. He's exceptionally quick, closes space fast on coverages, and seems to be everywhere on the field. The question is whether he's fast enough for NFL-coverage, which I have trouble judging in the college game. But his defensive instincts are amazing.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would go after a running back, Safty or D-Lineman early in the Draft. They need a legitt RB who can put up good numbers consitantly. I think Glenn Earl will be fine but, we need another safety to replace CC Brown. He overachieved his rookie year and really hasnt played well this year (after all he was a 6th round pick). They really need a DTackle or a DEnd depending on whether they want to move weaver to the inside or not. I think Travis Johnson is done year, I dont expect him to be on the team next year (complete bust). I think they shoudl adress other situations by free agency. They need to spend some money and get a veteran cornerback that is still in his prime. Maybe they could get a descent likebacker as well (Greenwood has got to go). I also expect them to draft a kicker or punter in the later rounds because Brown and Stanley Suck. I dont know how Brown is still on this team after the way he's played the last two years.

5. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

I think with our first pick we should pick the best defensive player available. with our 2nd pick we should go o-line, and then with our 3rd pick look for a runner.

6. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

is he like a chris hope or ed reed type of safety?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wolfe isnt there because he isnt that promising. Gotta think along the lines of Sproles. Only in a crappier conference. Western Michigan shut that guy down.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

see signature.

9. the futants

the futants Member

you poor man...

seriously, we have holes at most positions on the defense. also, the OL just keeps getting hurt. we need bodies! i say, as i usually do, trade the high pick for numbers.

10. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

sign michael lewis for SS, draft LaRon Landry in the 1st round, then 2 draft outside linebackers.

11. texanskan

texanskan Member

I really think the Texans will win like 4 more games so I belive that will put us between 13-16

12. wesnesked

wesnesked Member

There is no way the Texans go after Davis. He's been nothing but a dissapointment and he doesn't fit the zone blocking scheme. He's just too big and doesn't have the feet to fit the system.

13. weslinder

weslinder Member

Directionally, closer to Chris Hope, but I think he can cover better.

14. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Member

Leonard is a great guy I know him personally. I do not believe that he would fit the zone scheme tho he weighs 380 pounds. He has mentioned Houston tho as a possible stop.

15. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

merriweather? really, didnt he just hit someone with a helmet?

16. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

i like zbikowski, but when did he climb so high on draft boards. i've only seen him as a mid-2nd rounder

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Too bad he sucks at pass coverage.

18. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Gee, no Troy Smith?????

Anyways how much cap space do we have? If we have enough cap space we should sign 2 top notch free agents. Max Starks to shore up the OL and Nate Clements for our corner.

If we sign these guys we should then draft like this (Players listed in priority for each round)

1. Calvin Johnson WR GT/Adrian Peterson RB OU/ Marshawn Lynch RB Cal

2. Tom Zibikowski S Notre Dame/Aaron Rouse S Virginia/Quinton Pittock DT Ohio/Marcus Thomas DT Florida

3. Brian Leonard FB Rutgers /Ryan Harris OT Notre Dame/ Aaron Sears OT Tennesse

With Starks on the line along with Spencer, an improving Winston and the rest of the o-line we could solidify the future in the trenches (along with another possible o-line in the draft)

Nate Clements would then solidify our backfield along with dunta and Zibikowski or Rouse would scare anyone going down the middle. If not safety a DT could team up with Mario in the trenches.

FB isn't a concern really but Leonard would bring a winning attitude and some nastiness to the offense. If not another young OL would do.

As for our first round pick I say we finally go with a playmaker. Johnson is just too good to pass up and I don't see why adding another WR (especially an elite one) would hurt. It would allow defenses to play back more often opening up the running game. And vice versa if we get Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch if Johnson is not available. If you have a good running "system" why don't you go out and get a really good RB to play it? Then we could open up the pass a little more especially with Mathis coming back next year. Opening up the offense would be so much more exciting to watch b/c the dink and dunk passes are no fun.

19. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Member
    Supporting Member

Calvin Johnson will be gone by the time the Texans pick. Johnson is a top three pick barring injury or a bad combine.

IMO the Texans need to shore up their shaky secondary and add a run stuffer on the DL with the loss of Seth Payne (who I doubt will be back).

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Will the kid out of Ohio State [The QB] come out?

Rocket RIver