1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight's Eating Habits -Berger Article About Dwight & NBA Nutrition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Dec 11, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For the nutrition nuts like me, this is an interesting read about diet and how the Rockets & Howard are being fed. Basically, Dwight ate like a 13 year old before last season, and its scary to think that many of the Rockets players currently and before in prior years really dont understand nutrition or put that much emphasis on it.

If there is one thing we can thank the Lakers for, this article clearly illustrates what that is. Here is the link to the full article & here and below are the quotes that relate to the Rockets.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24370416

#1 dobro1229, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Daryl Morey is always candid when it comes to analysis.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Low carb, learn it, love it, live it.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good to hear. I'm trying a similar change in diet right now, but I'm a weak willed pansy.

It's kind of surprising though that professional sports teams don't put a bigger emphasis on nutrition. I would have thought they were already on top of that.

1 person likes this.
  5. torocan

torocan Member

Very interesting read.

I like how open Morey is about his lack of initiative on the topic, and more importantly his being open minded to the concept of team diets.

And I'm not surprised there hasn't been a lot of teams cracking down on diets until recent years. It's not always easy to tell a person who makes millions that they can't eat whatever they want.

Little things like this gives me great faith that the Rockets are trying anything and everything to get the most out of their players.

6. dje243

dje243 Member

I've lost 70 lbs eating paleo/primal since April with literally zero excersize (completely sedentary life style). I know some people think these kinds of things are fads but they really work. Good on Dwight. #humblebrag

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So this Shanahan guy has an MFA from the Writers Workshop? Is this an MFA in Nutritional Sciences or something?

And Daryl Morey is not someone to give nutritional instructions, I'd think.

8. dobro1229

Will be interesting in future to see what happens with the NBA, their players, and the sponsorships & endorsement deals with companies like Gatorade when players & teams get rid of all sports drinks because of how bad they are for athletes.

9. pakattak

pakattak Member

These are professional adults who live their own lives outside of the organization. Obviously teams have nutritionists and physicians to make suggestions, but diet ultimately comes down to the individual player. A lot of them hire their own nutritionists and chefs.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This is why its a fad:
    Complications such as heart arrhythmias, cardiac contractile function impairment, sudden death, osteoporosis, kidney damage, increased cancer risk, impairment of physical activity and lipid abnormalities can all be linked to long-term restriction of carbohydrates in the diet. The need to further explore and communicate the untoward side-effects of low-carbohydrate diets should be an important public health message from nutrition professionals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14672862

Nutrition is not only about weight loss.

Also Dwight went from 5-6 percent body fat to 3 percent body fat?
    :eek: HOLY ****.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd don't really see anything wrong with paleo or variations of it. Complex carbohydrates, found in vegetables among other things, are the carbs that your body really needs and obviously vegetables are a key part of any healthy diet.

I think the problem with a lot of low carb diets is that people eat about 75% meat (see Atkins diet - I can eat as much steak, sausage, and eggs that I want!) and that is simply not sustainable.

12. JurisDoctorate

Doesn't surprise me, he's still a relatively young guy, and active/physically gifted enough to probably eat whatever he wants and still be in good shape.

I was the same - when I used to run track in college, I could literally eat anything I wanted and still not gain a pound (maintained around 5-8% body fat) - of course I didn't over eat very often, but I ate terrible stuff (i.e. fast food and candy).

I stayed pretty much the same weight and body composition after I graduated college (stayed active playing in lots of bball leagues) and didn't have a problem until I turned 28-29 years old. That's when my metabolism hit a brick wall and I put on 5-10lbs eating the same way I always had; knew then that I had to fix my eating habits and now its pretty much low carb and high protein meals most of the time.

At Dwight's age (late 20's) it probably makes sense for him to start transitioning into good nutritional habits.

13. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

24 Hershey bars a day, holy s**t.

I'm pretty weak-willed when it comes to non-sugar carbs, so I hover at slightly overweight no matter my activity levels, but when I was in junior high basketball my coach drilled us all into giving up sodas (and for the most part, drinking your calories at all) and I'm real thankful that little bit of diet has stuck for the last 10 years - not only keeps my carb intake in check, it also saves me 2 bucks every single time I eat out.

The Gatorade comment above reminds me of a study I saw recently about the impact of pro athletes in pushing unhealthy foods to our youth. It's always insane to me that anyone who relies on a healthy body for their livelihood would shill for McDonald's or Coke at any price, but sure enough, Lebron is doing just that, Peyton's got his Gatorade and Pepsi, Serena Williams has Oreos and Gatorade, etc, etc. (link)

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

As someone who just went through a painful bout with kidney stones, I can attest to the fact that the Atkins diet is a BAD idea.

15. dobro1229

So what is better-

-Should the NBA keep allowing sugary drinks on the sidelines during games or instead allow Jason Kidd water and fresh fruit such as bananas to use at his disposal as a tripping device???

16. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

I'm on a loaf a day diet. Every day I eat nothing but fresh sourdough bread and M&Ms.

1 person likes this.
  17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Processed breads are bad but they aren't killer, especially if you choose whole grain options. Its all about sustainability though. If you can live the rest of your life on lean meats, vegetables, and no bread then yeah.

I can't do that however so I just go the whole-grain route and choose grains that satisfy complex carbohydrate needs.

As long as people realize that going without carbs for a long time means they can effectively never go back again unless they want to balloon up.

18. Remii

Remii Member

If it helps Howard get his post game together I'm all for it...

19. hltiki

hltiki Member

Diet and nutrition is a religion out here in Los Angeles.

We have a plethora of BJJ/MMA schools, tons of cross-fit gyms, billions of yoga studios with all kinds of different practices of yoga from fat loss to meditation, vegan/vegetarian restaurants, mycotoxin free coffee shops, organic supermarkets with your very own paleo section, and gyms, gyms, and more gyms, with the diet and nutrition to match.

Houston, wanna lose weight? wanna look good? Come to SoCal :) you're always welcomed

20. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

It's always surprising to hear stories of athletes and unhealthy eating habits. This case is even more surprising given Dwight's looks and the seeming emphasis he places on fitness. Certain athletes, you can imagine eat worse than others but for someone like Dwight to be eating this way 8 years into a dominant NBA career doesn't make sense. The Magic really did indulge Dwight by either not knowing better or by allowing him to eat like that.

I'm not a health nut but the little I learnt from school PE classes and such, the quantity of sugar that Dwight used to take is a serious red flag. This is the kind of thing that college can be very useful for - either by taking a nutrition class, or by looking at your peers' eating habits, people learn one way or another. Hell, youtube trainers have a diverse range of theories on eating habits but all of them warn viewers about excess sugar.

I'm glad it's being fixed now. Not mincing words, it is disappointing that Morey and the Rockets would spend on cryosaunas and try out acupuncture, but were unaware of the importance of an athlete's diet.