1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dubai rape victim told she could escape jail if she marries rapist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 22, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Dubai to charge Austrian woman victim for illegal sex

An Austrian tourist who claimed she was raped by a policeman's son in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates has been told that she is facing jail herself - for having sex outside of marriage.

The 24-year-old woman reported the rape to local police expecting that they would take action against the accused, and instead found herself facing charges.

And even more amazing she claims that she was told by one of the policeman that she complained to that she could escape charges if she were prepared to marry the man that she alleged had raped her in a car during an attack on December 2nd, which is a public holiday in Dubai.

She had been in the region with friends on holiday and accepted an offer by the man to drive her home. But once they had walked into an underground car park underneath a five-star hotel in Yemen he had raped her, she claims.

The man then tried to drive the woman away from the hotel but she managed to jump out of the car screaming for help – where other guests helped her and the police were called.

As well as facing charges of sex outside marriage it is also alleged that she had been drinking. Both actions are illegal in United Arab Emirate State.

According to Austrian media the man initially claimed that the woman had offered him sex because she was drunk, and then later claimed that she was a prostitute who had demanded money for sex – something she also denies.

The Austrian Embassy refused to comment but did confirm reports about rape allegations on a Austrian tourist.

The investigations are continuing and the woman is not at this time being held in custody.

CCTV footage from the garage has reportedly been handed to the police for analysis.

Just last year a young Norwegian interior designer Marte Deborah Dalelv was sentenced to 16 months in prison after suffering a similar fate and being raped and convicted of sex outside marriage.

Interestingly both the latest case involving the Austrian woman and the earlier case involving the Norwegian woman had both involved in making complaints at the same police station in the in Bur area of Dubai.

The 24-year-old Norwegian was convicted and sentenced on charges of having unlawful sex, making a false statement and illegal consumption of alcohol.

But after international protests she was pardoned and released. The man was also freed.

In the United Arab Emirates, as in some other countries using Islamic law, a rape conviction can require either a confession, or the testimony of four adult male witnesses.

http://austriantimes.at/news/Genera..._charge_Austrian_women_victim_for_illegal_sex

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

she was in Yemen?

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

She should've went to the police station and reported the rapist for apostasy, renouncing Islam and making jokes about the prophet instead...would've worked out better for her.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Apparently a lot of the Dubai police force is actually from Yemen.

5. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

So they rape you and you go to jail?

Imagine that in America

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Deafening silence from Mathloom.

But wait for him to start another thread on how Israel is the root of all evil, with him and glynch frantically circle-jerking.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

What a backwards ass country.

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

hotballa would love this place!

9. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I am young and naive still I suppose. I have always been a math and science guy but recently getting into history. History of the Middel East is obviously very interesting. I will read a bunch and learn what I can but can you give a synopsis of the post WW1 dealings with Isreal?

From my reading, albeit brief, it seems the the UK f'd up the entire situation.

Jews and Muslims were always at odds but it seems money and politics have magnified the crazies, more so on the Muslim side, but both nonetheless.

My belief is that the money, via oil, that has funded the Muslims is what drove them out of control. The culture in tribal times has always been black and white, my way or the highway, and this culture w/o progress has driven groups to be more and more fundamentalist. Being a true fundamentalist of Islam is deadly. Being a true fundamentalist of Christianity is deadly also.

I think that people in predominately Muslim countries have been held back by their leaders. These leaders live an astonishingly hypocritical lifestyle...funded by the west. I HATE, absolutely HATE, the radical reform that has captivated people recognizing hypocrisy of their leaders. It is a shame that instead of embracing some of the acceptable western "practices" of equality (IE women and human rights, drinking, ect.) which the leaders embrace, they revolt towards more fundamentalist. Now the people in these countries that are good people are fearful of a good and just revolution are fearful of change because they see the failed uprisings in Iran, Iraq and Syria. The logical people could not comprehend the fact that it was their own people committing terrorist attacks. The bombings in Saudi Arabia were a major eye opener for many people. They could no longer deny that their beliefs drove people to unspeakable acts. I believe eventually the acts of terrorism will come full circle and the good of all people will prevail. Believe it or not good Muslims, Christians, Jews, vastly outweigh the bad ones.

Myself, I was raised Catholic, but as an adult have become non religious, but as hard as I try, I can not come up with a logical reason for the existence of life without a creator. There has to be a "God" of some sorts that made something. All religions are our interpretations of our existence none of which are better than the other.

So for me, to blame Islam, Christianity, of Judaism is very weak. All the flaws are result of humankind. The people who believe in Islam were suppressed by their leaders because of capitalism. By attacking their beliefs directly we are only making the problem worse.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

chrispbrown, how does your little monologue here relate to the unfortunate situation of the rape victim being held in a jail in Dubai, while being told that she could escape prison if she were to marry the rapist?

11. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

It doesn't. It is my comment on the ***** show that is the debate of ME in general.

What happened to the victim is terrible. I am not in anyway trying to justify it.

Can you look at the big picture? I am trying to say, overall, that people are quick to blame a religion, type of people, or other and it is much greater than that. People are quick to turn this into a Muslim or Christian thing.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

In my opinion, this absolutely and without a doubt is related to Islam. I used to be a relativist like you because I didn't want to condemn a whole religion that obviously has hundreds of millions of followers around the world. But the more you research it, the more you see that Islam is the justification for these people to treat that lady the way the treat it. Christianity does not have a rule that rape needs to be proven by 4 male witnesses. Islam does. Any attempt at cultural relativism and saying crusades, blablabla doesn't change that.

13. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Totally fair point.

I am not using any of the Catholic bad times as a counter point btw. I am just saying that the bad points of Islam have not been redone. They have not been revised because of a long list of situations historically and have been held back, even forced further back, because of money. Catholicism calls for homosexuals to be beheaded. We know this is nonsense, but through proper evolution people realized this is stupid and not 'right'.

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

The money FORCED these stupid and pointless small points of the religion as a rallying point and has pushed us to where we are today.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would agree with you (and most people) that Islam is in need of a reformation. The problem is that apologists (especially those from the far left) try to cloud that issue.

I have no problems whatsoever with "moderate Muslims" - which are basically Muslims who ignore the misogynist, homophobic, intolerant, aggressive parts of Islam, while focusing on the messages of peace.

But I do have a problem with the religious ideology of Islam as a whole, because it does contain those misogynist, homophobic, intolerant, supremacist elements, and millions of followers of the religious ideology act on them.

16. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I REALLY, REALLY, would like to have a good discussion and I am not picking a fight with you at all. As a raised Catholic, I realize there are man points I find trivial.

In the bible Homosexuality is a sin punishable by death. To me it is not unreasonable to ignore that and still be a great Christian. Islam may have more, hell 1000 more, insane rules, but because of their time and place in history the so called trivialities have been exponentially magnified as a rallying point.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am not fighting with you.

Not only is it not unreasonable to ignore it, it is mandatory to ignore it. I wouldn't know where to find that rule, but if it is there, it is idiotic and needs to be ignored. That's one problem with these stupid old texts, there are idiots who take them literally.

Anyone who literally believes some old book compiled from old stories and bases all of his or her actions on some stupid frickin' rules written down 1000 years ago needs to get their brains checked. It's ok as long as people just ignore the bad parts of these books, but when people start taking things literally and doing bad things because of it...it's bad.

1 person likes this.
  18. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Yea, I am not saying you were fighting, just emphasizing that I am not.

Your third paragraph is kinda what I am illustrating.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This kind of stuff is ridiculous.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I believe its in Leviticus and when Jesus came we moved on to a new covenant, therefore abolishing the laws of hate.