1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, May 25, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

You are looking at it wrong. Now no blackies or welfare queens are going to slip through and exploit the system. I know it happens, I have watched FOX news.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

Drinking a beer the night before won't show up on a screening. :rolleyes:

A person shouldn't use illegal drugs. As someone who personally and intimately understands drug use, it is wrong period.

Also,

Obama Administration Pushes Drug Testing in Workplace

and

You guys seem to live by every word the Obama administration says, why not in this situation?

Why do you believe the government is to solve all of life's problems? Are you for removing the personal responsibility of the individual?

How bad will it be in terms of cost? Most people like to bring up Florida but that is a completely different situation. Florida is testing all people who apply for welfare.

If you don't even know the criteria or who creates it, how can you be against it?

Link?

Again, how is testing only a select few who are flagged, big scary gov't or expensive? Libs crap more gov't spending for unnecessary things before breakfast than this will cost. This is more about rallying the Lib base than actual outrage.

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

This has nothing to do with race (nice race baiting btw), or welfare.

Have fun with your faux outrage!

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It also appears to only apply to those who are unemployed in an industry that already requires drug testing.

5. glynch

glynch Member

Hey Perry and the TX GOP insiders are probably already asking campaign contributors who wants some privitization pork.

6. thadeus

thadeus Member

How many Texas Republicans currently own stock in drug-testing companies, or have children who work as a CEO for one?

7. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

link

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Member

We're spending too much money on welfare. I have a great idea! Let's add more costs to it!

I swear, it seems like GOTeaP'ers would rather burn $11 than give someone $10...

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think you should be required to have drug testing, DD, and that it should be anal.

10. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

This has nothing to do with welfare. This is about unemployment. Please, you make this too easy.

You would want something like that. I'm sure you would like to be the one to do the testing too.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Actually it's all pretty related. Anything that involves government helping people, especially those people, is a target for conservatives.

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

Like the IRS targeting conservatives?

13. CometsWin

That's EXACTLY the same! Some Tea Partiers got their BS tax exempt status delayed by some middle manager r****ds which delayed their ability to fund massive amounts of dollars for political purposes vs having your unemployment and welfare benefits cut off by Congressmen so you struggle to feed and house your family. Bobbymar it's that kind of insight that is giving you a hell of a reputation here. Well done.

14. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

Good job reporting falsely. The IRS case looks like way more than middle mgmt.

This is not some blanket law used to oppress the poor.

Quote:
    the proposed law was carefully designed to be constitutional, adding that only first-time applicants working in occupations that require drug tests would undergo screening. Applicants who test positive could ask for a retest or keep their benefits if they enroll in a treatment program within seven days. Otherwise, the person could reapply after 30 days.

15. CometsWin

Oh, I didn't know you were done with the investigation already. Link? Last week you were pissed that the lady overseeing this was overseeing Obamacare and now she's not. What are you on about this week?

Can you link to the constitutional case law for me? Thanks.

Thanks for comparing falsely. The adults understand the difference between restricting benefits used to feed your family and tax exemption for political purposes.

16. Refman

Refman Member

Oh please. Lets not be so dramatic. Sure, the IRS targeting issue is an extremely poor analogue with what is being discussed here. However, nobody is talking about cutting off unemployment benefits entirely. However, if you are in need of assistance, lay off the ganja. The fact of the matter is that the money spent on the drugs could easily go to better feed your family.

When I had a time of unemployment in 2001 and 2002, I took unemployment benefits. My job was wiped out in the economic collapse following 9/11 and the Enron debacle. I did not buy anything that was not essential. It took everything I got to pay my rent, utilities and food. I ran through my savings to avoid defaulting on my debts. I am not opening in theory. I have been there. It isn't fun. In those times, you have to do without so you can weather the storm.

17. CometsWin

It was his comparison, he's so wrapped up in tit for tat politics that he's lost focus on what real people's lives are like. If drug addiction were all as simple as just say no then Nancy would have won the Nobel.

My mom recently went through unemployment for about 8 months so I can identify.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

It's unfortunate the issue has devolved into what it's become....

I just want a way for people who are receiving benefits to show that they're still acting in good faith to pull themselves out of unemployment benefits without using it as a way to pad their lifestyles of media perpetuated wants and status.

Maybe offering a different carrot once employment has been achieved such as education grants with performance incentives.

There are a bunch of losers leeching off the system and have no plans to quit. Those who defend them under a blanket of "all poor aren't like that" are really enabling the rot festering in their minds and the system as a whole.

It just makes the poor look bad when there are many many more things out of their control that people should consider and try to address.

19. CometsWin

Honestly it's this constant tendency to portray the exception as the rule or something portray a small issue as hugely problematic that has become a staple of conservative politics. From things like the estate tax and all the family farms that would be lost to voter ID laws that would stop the rampant voter fraud that is nonexistent and how a tax increase would destroy small businesses and how tort reform would stop insurance premiums from going up. It's all nonsense.

20. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

Of course it all is, because you say so!