1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drew in demand?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

It seems that several teams are after Drew as their backup PG. I guess it goes to show that Rudy has a pretty good eye for talent.

http://www.gastongazette.com/Portal/Sports/Hornets/Hornets13.htm

Long list of teams looking at Drew includes Hornets

By Richard Walker
    Gazette Sports Reporter
    [ HORNETS ]

When the Charlotte Hornets’ offseason began, finding a backup point guard for rising star Baron Davis was one of the team’s top priorities.

Most in the Hornets organization figured that backup to be a veteran willing to tutor the 22-year-old Davis.

But Charlotte could find its solution in a player with similar experience to Davis.

The agent for Chicago Bulls free agent Bryce Drew confirmed Tuesday the Hornets were among several teams with interest in his client.

Drew, who turns 27 in September, is a combination guard whose long-range shooting skills are expected to be at a premium next season when the NBA begins allowing zone defenses.

"They’ve expressed some interest," Mark Bartelstein, Drew’s agent, said of Charlotte. "But I wouldn’t go beyond that right now."

It’s because the Hornets aren’t alone. Bartelstein said, in no particular order, that Phoenix, Seattle, Orlando, Atlanta, Indiana, Milwaukee, New Jersey and Portland along with Charlotte have shown interest in Drew.

"There’s a good group of teams out there who are interested in him," Bartelstein said. "With the new rules, I think Bryce is a very attractive player."

Drew has averaged 5.5 points and 2.6 assists during 154 career games with Houston and Chicago while shooting 37.9 percent from the field. But his 36.3 percent 3-point shooting is well above NBA average.

And Drew is coming off his best season, starting 41 of 48 games for Chicago while averaging 6.3 points and 3.9 assists while shooting 37.9 percent overall and 38.1 percent on 3-pointers.

Is Drew close to a decision on his future?

"I can’t say," Bartelstein said. "But I think Bryce’s mentality is that when he finds a place that he likes, I don’t think he’d hesitate to make a deal."

Bartelstein didn’t discuss Drew’s contract expectations, but it’s reasonably certain he would hold out hope for teams’ mid-level ($4.5 million) or $1 million (it’s actually $1.3 million this season) exceptions, rather than accept the 565,850 minimum for a third-year player.

------------------
    Nothing is impossible, if you believe it's possible.

2. Kim

Kim Member

I think Rudy T AND Dawson and staff have good eyes for talent also...

but, I don't think Drew was drafted to be a perrenial back-up whose stock has artificially inflated due to the new (unforseen back then) zone rules. Matt Maloney will definitely be a back up somewhere next year.

Sooooo, IMO Drew was a bust (look it up, I've thought so since the begining), is a bust, and forever will be a bust (for the position he was drafted of course).