1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Draft City] Houston Rockets Needs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lost_elephant, May 25, 2005.

1. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

http://draftcity.com/viewarticle.php?a=185

"Houston Rockets

Robert Kruse

Draft Picks: #24 in the First Round, no 2nd round pick

Background: The Rockets' season started with much anticipation over the combination of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. The team stumbled out to a 6-11 start however due to a lack of quickness and intensity necessitating changes to the roster. Bob Sura came off the injured list to give a boost at point guard. Tyronn Lue was exchanged for Jon Barry and Jim Jackson and Bostjan Nachbar were sent to New Orleans for David Wesley. Later, Mike James was acquired, adding more quickness and scoring punch, while Maurice Taylor was dumped for salary cap reasons. Overall, the changes made the team quicker and better defensively, while offensively the changes resulted in a team that makes good decisions and hits their open shots, complimenting T-Mac and Yao.

Carroll Dawson truly molded the team to Jeff Van Gundy's personality. The Rockets ended the year hot with a 51-31 record, 5th in the Western Conference. The First Round matchup was the Dallas Mavericks however, resulting in a series that showed both the strengths and weaknesses of the Rockets. Tracy McGrady proved to the nation what Rockets fans had already realized, that he is a top 5 player while being unselfish enough to lead. Yao Ming showed dominance as well, though his action and effectiveness in the series were limited due to foul trouble and tempo. The Mavericks exploited the weaknesses of the Rockets finally in the Game Seven 40 point blow-out. The Rockets in their trades became a much older team, losing athleticism and stamina to match up against the young Mavericks. An injury to Juwan Howard showed how thin the talent on the Rockets had dwindled with the numerous trades.

Team Needs: The Rockets overall need more athleticism and talent on the roster. Look for the team to specifically add a long, athletic power forward to compliment Yao so he will not have to commit so many fouls on the defensive end, while also helping rebound offensively. Another area of need depending on the interpretation of many Rockets fans is finding a true point guard. Bob Sura and Mike James both fit as combo guards, but the team might be better off getting a point guard who can consistently find Yao and T-Mac for shots. Another area that should be addressed is finding a backup small forward. The player would replace Ryan Bowen and preferably be in the James Posey mold. This would allow T-Mac to get more rest while offering the Rockets another option instead of the undersized David Wesley, to be our defensive stopper.

GM's Draft Strategy: The Rockets have been without a first round pick since selecting Yao Ming and Bostjan Nachbar in 2002, so this year will be an interesting test to see where Carroll Dawson will go with the pick. Before that, the Rockets traded for Eddie Griffin, proving that a player with a checkered past might still be a possibility on draft night, unless he learned his lesson. Including second rounders Malick Badiane and Vassilis Spanoulis, the last four picks for the Rockets have been international and according to reports the Rockets might head in that direction again. Jeff Van Gundy does not seem to love European players however (Nachbar), possibly because of how highly he values defense, making it a surprise for this year if the team would draft international again. If JVG gets his way, which he seemingly does from the trades the Rockets have made, a junior or senior college player will be selected who could contribute immediately. The player would have to possess the Van Gundy staples of toughness and good defense.

Personal Expectations: I believe the team will go with the safe choice of a power forward among Wayne Simien, Ronny Turiaf, David Lee and Ike Diogu. All are polished and could contribute immediately alongside Yao Ming. This position is much harder to fill in free agency, so it would make sense to do it in the draft. The player selected hopefully will become the third wheel behind Yao and T-Mac, so the Rockets can not strike out here. A sleeper international choice would be Angelo Gigli, who brings some length, athleticism and maturity while allowing the Rockets to hold him in Europe another year. If the Rockets believe that Spanoulis and Badiene will fill holes at PG and PF or that they will get Tyson Chandler or Stromile Swift (not likely), they could surprise and select a wing such as Joey Graham or Francisco Garcia."

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

That is a well written article. I cant get enough draft and free agent info right now during this time of year.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

If Joey Graham, Rudy Fernandez, or Francisco Garcia are available, and we opt for Simien, Turiaf or Diogo (meaning we are not going after Swift, Marshall, Abdur-Rahim or Walker), we are dumber than the guy that wrote that article.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This is the same site that projects Rashad McCants to go at pick #33 to the Hornets, in the 2nd round.:rolleyes:

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Doesn't this say the 2 exact opposite things in the same sentence. :confused:

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

A truly well written and informed piece. Them folks at Draftcity know their stuff.

As per the Rashad #33 slot, it is indeed really too early to complain or question their deciosn. Who exactly would really select him in the first round now? This draft is deep albeit arguably mediocrely deep. Rashad will have to impress during the individual workouts in order to stay up. Scouts have been down on him since last December and nothing seem to have changed since then.

Back to Rox, the direction we could take will depend on the hint JVG gave us a week back - a possible trade in the next few weeks. This upcoming trade will determine where we could go in the next draft. I would have loved to land Jarret Jack but he would be out of our reach it seems. So I will be fine with a Graham, Winston, Diogu or Simmien.

7. haven

haven Member

No:

(1) Reports indicate that the Rockets might be looking at an international player

but

(2) The author doubts the validity of these reports, because JVG values defense so highly.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think we are looking for a backup swingman first. that position on our roster is perfect for a rookie. he just has to give tmac an extra 6 minutes of rest a night, provide athleticism, and bring energy. thats it.

if we draft a 4 then he will have to play18-24 minutes a night (if Jho stays healthy). he will have to rebound, play defense, hit the mid-range J, do some posting up....too much to ask from a rookie drafted at the end of the first round.

and forget about drafting a PG unless paul, williams or felton falls to us.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I actually have high expectations for our draft pick. I'm just getting a vibe that we'll get someone good.

10. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

6-3 (at most) shooting guards aren't exactly considered very good prospects in NBA.

If the attitude problems are true too, some teams will definately think twice about selecting him.

I'm not saying he will drop to second round for sure but it isn't a reach either.

11. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

#33 no way, Rashard is going in the top 20 for sure.

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Based on what? He is undersized 2-guard that has an ego bigger that the empire state building. A potential cancer and poor work ethic. What exactly about him have you enamoured enough to think highly of him?

PS. I read a piece yesterday on Simmien that is making me more and more a fan of him coming to Houston if he is gettable. He could be a steal if he stays healthy.

13. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I agree. I am anxious to see who the Rockets select because it has been a while since we have had a young prospect not named Yao Ming.

Ok, Bostjan yea, but I mean a prospect we NEED to really come in and produce.

As I've said in another thread. Everytime Rashard Lewis scores against us, another part of me dies. Thinking of what we could have had is irrelevant but I personally have no idea what CD was thinking not drafting him.

But anyway, I'm full of intrigue for this year's draft for the first time since we drafted Yao. :)

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Long Power Forward - you mean someone liek Eddie Griffin?

Small Forward Defensive Stopper - You mean someone like James Posey?

Ugh. I know its a dead hrose, it's just that ugh..

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Same here.

16. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

No not like Eddie Griffin. We need a PF with a mid-range game who has his head on straight. Eddie is either a slam dunk or a 3 pointer. Someone like Juwan Howard or SAR (if possible).

We don't need James Posey either. T-Mac is our SF defensive stopper. We need a backcourt defender who can stay with players like Josh Howard and Stackhouse and make them work on defense. Someone like Cat.

I'm glad those two horses you mentioned are dead:)

17. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I see your trying to make a point but when you posted this what did you expect people to say? "Yes, exactly like Eddie Griffin, that's exactly who we want!"

My point is you knew what the answer to this was when you posted it. We want someone with EG's length yes, but we also want someone who will bang down low, rebound effectively, can defend effectively, and can hit the mid range jumper. Of course without all the personal/mental problems also. At SG/backup SM we do want someone like James Posey. There wasn't anything wrong with James Posey, he just chose to leave Houston and sign with Memphis. Maybe a SG/SF who can shoot a bit better than Posey and makes less bone-headed fouls if you had to be really picky.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He's light years ahead of where Joe Forte was at this stage in their respective careers. If Forte is "worthy" of a top 20 pick, i'd venture to say the same goes or even better for McCants.

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

yep

thats it. The last thing we need is another powerforward like Juwan Howard, who is a finess player.

We need eddies weak side D, or someone with the ability like that.

20. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Actually, we do need a defensive stopper!
    Freeing T-Mac from defensive duties(defending the opposit team's best player) will let him be more effective on offense.
    (Via Free-agency we could look at a guy like G. Wallace...)

ALA

#20 a la rockets, May 27, 2005
    Last edited: May 27, 2005