1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[doomed and stuff] Deadly Nipah virus outbreak reported in India; mortality rate higher than COVID

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Deadly Nipah virus outbreak reported in India; the mortality rate is higher than COVID-19
    Updated: Sep. 07, 2021, 5:51 p.m. | Published: Sep. 07, 2021, 1:39 p.m.
    [​IMG]
    The natural carriers of the deadly Nipah virus are fruit bats “of the family Pteropodidae,” commonly known as the “flying fox.” (Staten Island Advance/Jan Somma-Hammel) Staff-Shot

An outbreak of a virus that’s deadlier than the coronavirus has been reported in India’s southern Kerala state.

According to a report by CBS News, authorities in that area are “racing” to contain an outbreak of the Nipah virus — not related to the coronavirus — that killed a 12-year-old boy in Kerala over the weekend. Efforts to trace the boy’s contacts have been escalated and new infections have been confirmed.

The state’s health minister, Veena George, indicated that by Monday, 188 people who were in contact with the boy have been identified. Of those 20 were considered “high-risk primary contacts” and are for the most part members of his family now being “held under strict quarantine or hospitalized,” CBS reported.

By Monday, reportedly two healthcare workers who came in contact with the boy were already showing signs of Nipah infection.

What is the Nipah virus

Nipah is a zoonotic virus, meaning it is one that is “transmitted from animals to humans.” The natural carriers of the virus are fruit bats “of the family Pteropodidae,” commonly known as the “flying fox.” The virus reportedly is then transmitted by them to other animals including “pigs, dogs, cats, goats, horses, and sheep.” There is no cure or vaccine for the virus.

How is it transmitted?

Transmission of Nipah can occur through direct human contact with the animals or by consuming contaminated food, the report stated. Also reported have been a number of human-to-human transmission cases.

What are the symptoms?

A person infected with Nipah may show symptoms “including fever and headache for anywhere between three days and two weeks.” This will be followed by a “cough, sore throat and respiratory issues,” later quickly progressing to “swelling in the brain cells, leading to drowsiness, confusion, and then possible coma and death,” the report explained.

What is the mortality rate?

According to the World Health Organization, Nipah infections prove fatal up to 75% of the time. As a point of comparison, the coronavirus mortality rate is believed to be about 2%. Neurological symptoms, including seizures and personality changes, can persist in about 20% of Nipah survivors.

There is cause for concern.

While considered less contagious than the coronavirus, for epidemiologists attempting to “predict and prevent the next pandemic,” Nipah’s ability to infect a wider diversity of animals as well as its higher mortality rate and extended “incubation period of up to 45 days” are reportedly all causes of serious concern.

Scientists warn opportunities for new zoonotic variants to emerge are on the increase as the climate warms and the natural habitat of species like the fruit bats in Asia is destroyed by humans.

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

sweet jesus wtf is wrong with these asian countries. can scientists just burn all bats in the world to be safe? forget the ecosystem consequences

cmoak1982 and tinman like this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Too many people, too few resources (food). They are being forced to eat everything they find.

Did you know that every major virus over the past 150 years has crossed over from animals, and the bulk of them from birds? A good argument for not eating meat.

4. TimDuncanDonaut

Bats are dirty, infectious and dangerous. This idea should be re-enforced. They are not brooding and sparkly as Hollywood portrays. Should be less romanticized but feared.

[​IMG]

Pattinson played a vampire, and will play the next batman. His pro bat agenda is not subtle. He needs to come out and condemn all things bats.

[​IMG]

#4 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Jontro and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Or to eat every bird you can possibly put away. Eradicate the source!

I'm off to Chick-Fil-A...to save the world!

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

wait till you hear about the kale and soy variants of rabies

FrontRunner, CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Xerobull

yo I get they respect animals and let monkeys and rats run around, but nah

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. People aren't running around eating every bat they find. I mean, I'm sure people do eat bats somewhere, but...

Interesting thing about this incident is that the same city/area experienced another outbreak about 3 years ago. Wikipedia says (and wiki don't lie) the area is about 96% Hindu and Muslim, so I'm guessing they all don't eat bats. Of course all it takes is one. The other thing is if the bat lands or nibbles on a fruit or you happen to drink juice from that fruit, you can get the virus, from what I understand. Things like date palms seem to be a possible source.

This seems to happen every few years. I read about it happening around Malaysia and/or Singapore back in 1999, which I think was the first identified outbreak, and they had to slaughter a million pigs or something around there because they were infected. From there it apparently eventually spread to India.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

Billy Hatcher picked up the wrong bat....it didn't happen.

MadMax likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You must work for the Big Mosquito huh?

You are half correct in your thinking. Meat consumption is a lot of the issue but in the case of bats it's about deforestation and pig farming encroaching on bat colonies. It's extremely difficult for bat diseases to just straight to humane because of DNA structure.

The jump comes from pigs who have the closest genetic make up to humans in terms of animals we consume. Pigs eat everything including bat **** or even dead bats. Eating less pork and beef would cause less deforestation thus less of a chance for cross species viruses.

#10 REEKO_HTOWN, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Are you bat Hitler?

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I am digging the google ad for ... 12 Monkeys, Season 1

DreamShook and tinman like this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

leave them bats alone!

DreamShook likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

underrated post. will read again.

TimDuncanDonaut and ThatBoyNick like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Reported.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Man with the the way this whole COVID thing went down, I dont believe this was another bat dinner virus. This one was probably made and experimented on in a lab and some one screwed up just like COVID.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

DreamShook likes this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The fact that it is deadly and isn't that contagious means it's not a big deal. People will die before passing it on. Comparing it to Covid is just clickbait. Kind of like ebola.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

Humanity is doomed.

[​IMG]

Ottomaton and Xerobull like this.