1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

don't root against Kings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JR, Apr 30, 2001.

1. JR

JR Member

1. I don't really think how far the Kings go in the playoffs is going to affect Webber's decision (he's already decided to leave, by all indications).

2. Hopefully, those of you who have watched much of the Kings / Suns game, Webber is a guy that still lacks "playoff confidence." Sort of like Garnett. The way Webber played much of the first 3 games, he wouldn't be doing the Rockets much good in the playoffs.

3. Any playoff success Webber and the Kings might have wouldn't hurt the Rockets vis a vis the other teams in the hunt, because none of the teams, Rockets included, could possibly want him any more than they do now.

The ideal situation would be for Webber to have some team and individual playoff success and bring that added experience and confidence to Houston next year to share with STEVE and CUTTINO and KT and MOOCH (and DAN?).

------------------

2. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Webber will NEVER leave Sacramento if he wins a ring this year!

GO SUNS!

------------------
    Dream
    Rejects
    Every
    Attempt
    Made

3. Digaida

Digaida Member

Even though at the middle of the season I would have thought Kings were fav's for championship, I have my doubts now. Webber's health and conditioning alone changed my outlook on them. If they do beat the Suns, I highly doubt they beat Lakers, and then possibly Spurs, let Kings win first round.... [​IMG] could come back to bite my @$$ though..

------------------

4. JR

JR Member

Compaq C and Dig -- this is what I'm talking about. why are you afraid of SAC doing well? I don't see why winning a title this year would make Webber want to stay in SAC -- he hates living there!

------------------

5. DieHard Rocket

I still think that the sooner the Kings go out, the better chance of him leaving. If they end up making it deep into the playoffs, he will have more confidence in his teammates and his coach for next year than he will if they lose. Right now, I'm not sure that he is all that confident in his teammates, especially JWill. He may decide that he would be better off somewhere else to win a title.

------------------

6. kbm

kbm Member

I want WEBBER's first chamionship to be with the rockets - Period!

------------------
    I am an invisible man.

7. GATER

GATER Member

Let me see if I got this straight -

The Kings beat the Suns and then the Lakers and lose to the Spurs in say 7 games for the WC Championship. This summer Webber says to the Kings, their management and their rabid fans - "guys, it's been real and it's been nice nice but I think I'm gonna go play with Houston 'cause there goin' to the Finals next season". Someone want to tell me what I've missed in this logic?

------------------
    GATER

8. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Are you on crack? If Webber wins with Sac, there is no way in hell he will leave. I know money and location are big factors on where he wants to play.. but come on!! He knows that if something ain't broke, dont fix it. I hope Sacramento loses in the first round.. or gets swept out of the second. We need him to feel like he has to leave because his team can't compete with SA or LA. Anyways.. I could be wrong, but im just using common sense here.

------------------
    BILL KENNEDY SUCKS!

9. JR

JR Member

I just completely disagree that ANYTHING is going to make Webber stay in Sacramento.

That's the whole point. Where else is he going to go, besides maybe the Lakers, where he'll be on a better team than he is now?

He's not leaving for a better team. He's leaving so he can live somewhere more FUN. It's that simple.

------------------

10. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

JR

i kinda disagree with that. i have heard many of webbers interviews and he sounds like a guy who wants to win more than anything else. sure he would like to go to a city which is fun to live in and he would have a chance to win, thats why houston is so ideal. but if sac town wins it all this year, i doubt if he would leave his teamates...might turn out to be a Duncan scenerio from last year...
    either way, sac town wont beat the lakers anyways, so it wont matter....

------------------
    Howdy Partner!

11. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Member

Excellent point. If we get him, I hope he has a ring and all the confidence that goes along with it.

12. JR

JR Member

I'm still waiting for a decent explanation as to why Chris Webber would even be thinking about leaving SAC if he didn't hate living there. Where else COULD he go and win more easily than in SAC??

------------------

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

The fact is, JR, that Webber is currectly thinking that one of the most important factors about where he plays is location. Do you know why this is more important to him than winning a championship? It's because he has not won one yet. If the Kings pull off some major upsets this season and win the championship, he might just decide that he likes that a hell of a lot more than moving to a different city.

I don't want to take that chance, and I am hoping for a first round exit.

------------------
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

[This message has been edited by RunninRaven (edited May 01, 2001).]

14. JR

JR Member

that's not a good argument. location would be MORE important if he were to win a championship. why would winning a championship be more important than location if he had ALREADY won one??

------------------

15. kbm

kbm Member

Let's turn the question around, why would success in the playoffs with the kings be important to the rockets? The rockets already have Hakeem, a warrior in the playoffs. No. The rockets need a skilled PF who can both rebound and shoot, and webber already has those skills!

------------------
    I am an invisible man.

16. JR

JR Member

i have thought about it. I don't think there's a chance in hell he's staying in SAC, whether they drop the next two to phoenix or storm to a title. He is dying to get out of town. If anything, I think winning a title in SAC would make him more likely to leave. He's not a bizarre, almost anti-social type like Duncan, and believe it or not, there's a lot more going on in SA than SAC.

Here's what i have a problem with: "Webb sounds like a guy who might get convinced and make a sacrifice." He does not! He sounds like a guy who is long gone and is just trying not to turn it into a complete lame-duck situation.

I'm not saying the Rockets are necessarily going to wind up with him, but the Kings aren't.

------------------

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If The Kings dont go far , Webber will have the tag on him of choking in the playoffs , If he gets Far in the playoffs , He may be willing to part with the Kings but have more self confidence .

------------------
    Vice President of Executive Operations of the Sean Colson Fan Club

http://bbs.clutchcity.net

18. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

JR

would u really want to take a gamble like that? what if webb decides to stay like duncan did? sure orlando still got their hands on T Mac and G HIll, but who are we gonna go after?
    If CWebb wins in Sac, he will definitely think about stayin there more, think about it. he has good young teamates who will offer even more next year cause of zone(pedjo cause of his outside shooting and Christi cause of his incredible D). Webb sounds like a guy who might get convinced and make a sacrifice. besides Sac can probably offer him the most money anyways..

------------------
    Howdy Partner!