1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatating a Car to Charity (Tax Write-off?)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, May 16, 2006.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Those of you familiar with my car situation (codell, R2K) will be happy to know that I am finally putting the 96 Blazer out to pasture and getting a new Honda CRV.

The Blazer is currently at it's 2nd home (ie. in the shop) because it is overheating and they want to charge me $700 to fix the water pump. That is more than what I will probably get as a trade in value, so I told them not to fix it. So it's not really drivable and I'd like to donate it to charity and take the tax write-off instead of the $200 I'd probably get for trading it in.

I hear those Houston Can Academy spots on 610, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any other places I could donate it to and get that tax write-off.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

No art car?

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

why not Houston Can Academy?

IMA, they are about 10 mins away from you up on Antoine.

4. ima_drummer2k

Yup, that's what I'm leaning towards. It's actually at the shop (Paynes Automotive) on Tidwell and Bingle.

What kind of tax write-off would I get? Blue book value?

More like Fart car...

5. codell

My company does the write-ups for their donors. ;)

Usually full book retail unless we see any major prior damage.

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Wouldn't the true value of the car be negative, since the repairs on the water pump are worth more than the resale value of the car? Unless Codell works some magic for you, LOL, it sounds like you should be paying taxes since the charity is going to take a loss off of your hands. They're the ones providing you value, not the other way around.

I'd just go sink the thing in Buffalo Bayou

8. codell

Its hardly magic. We figure repairs on a vehicle like this on a wholesale level (i.e. a used water pump is about $20-$30; labor isn't a factor since most wholesale buyers will do the work themselves).

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Oh, ok. I was thrown off by your winky face in your previous post. I didn't know if the $700 repair number was accurate or not.

10. codell

It is and is not accurate. You can go to 10 different shops and get 10 different bid amounts for that work. Thats why we figure it at a wholesale level (bare minimum for parts; no labor usually).

11. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, you know how these shops do it. $650 in labor to replace a $50 water pump and clean a few hoses. I'm sure they saw my car parked in their lot Monday morning and automatically thought $$$$. It felt great telling them not to fix it!

The car is not in bad shape, believe it or not. It's 10 years old but has less than 100K miles. I change the oil every 2,500 miles. It's just that, like most older cars, something goes wrong every 6 months or so, and I'm tired of pouring money into it.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is my understanding as well.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I did this, but it was years ago...It helped my tax situation, so do this or sell it to the junk yard, which won't give you money...

14. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I think that scrap metal place will pay you in 2 dollar bills.

15. codell

junk yards will definitely give him money for it

:confused: