1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas ROCKETS vs PACERS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I feel the same way. The guy looked a bit bigger than last season, too. Probably not as big as he needs to be, but he's getting there. When Donuts plays within himself and doesn't try to do everything at warp speed, he's impressive. Although it's only preseason, it's encouraging to see some improvement from last year.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I still think Mo has more potential than Jo... if we can wait long enough for him to develop.

Neither of them are start material for now. My guess is that they will start with Asik alongside Howard. And bring them off the bench. Eventually, the Rockets will have to decide on which one of these two guys they are going to keep, whether as starter or as bench player.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I am not sure how much of Motiejunas' highlight post-moves the last couple games resulted from working with Olajuwon for several days during training camp.

Motiejunas has had nice post moves since even before the draft and I am sure he continued to work on these after being drafted and joining the Rockets.

Here is a pre-draft workout:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G5Tblw5WggQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That said, working with Hakeem for a few sessions probably helps a little with his skills and confidence. In fact, Motiejunas is likely one of the player most likely to benefit from working with Hakeem given that he already has a high baseline level of skills already.

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Actually, I did notice that D-Mo replicated one move that he was practicing with Hakeem.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aWAmWxDT5Ws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SbX0nqoQjbs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the 1.55 mark. It's practically the same move except he went for the layup in practice.

5. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I think the best option is to start Casspi (that is if he can keep up this type of shooting) and bring either DMO or Jones off the bench. In my opinion, DMO should get the back up spot bc w/ him the rockets would still have a post option when Howard goes out.

6. allaroundplayer

Agree.

7. delishman

delishman Member

Very talented, unique player. Think he is still in the project category but with great upside. Hopefully Rockets will be patient as I believe his development will take some time.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

he's getting stronger. Watched the pacers game. Keep training that core.

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'm not blasting you or anything but I have to make the point here that:

1. You are comparing 2 games. This means nothing.
    2. In game 1, they combined for 7 shots taken. In game 2, they combined for 19 shots taken. That is a HUGE difference and explains why they made more points. Has nothing to do with who started.

10. allaroundplayer

I think even the top bigs in the nba will have a hard time containing him on the low post.

11. nobie

nobie Member

u did the math wrong buddy...

12. Rox23

Rox23 Member

The challenge for DMo before anything else will be to gain respect. Euro's tend to be one of the most discriminated against type of player in the NBA and that has been said by NBA coaches.

DMo is only 22 years old and his improvement month by month is noticeable. Every time we see him play then we should expect to see improvement. I remember last year DMo was asked if he did any clubbing in Houston; DMo answered: "I've been too busy practicing and playing basketball for stuff like that". Got to love it if you're a Rockets fan!

Commissioner Stern was at the Pacer game and said that he was "really impressed" with "the Lithuanian guy". The Pacer announces were impressed with DMo also...they kept talking about him throughout the game. Even Bull and Bill Worrell said that DMo was having a great game. Here on Clutchfans though you'll still have people will say that he played awful, dump the garbage, he's worthless, no hope, etc..

13. maczmina

maczmina Member

D-mo is a good player in offense, but need to improve the defense and the rebound, he is a soft guy sometimes.

14. meh

meh Member

Another nice game for DMo. Looking more comfortable these past two games. My only disappointment is that his 3pt shooting still doesn't look that good. Otherwise better than I expected. Defense still an issue but that's to be expected.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yes it does, in starters minutes they wont get a lot of touches. Coming off the bench its a good chance they will get more touches. That is the difference. And I know its only pre-season ...I dont get all excited about pre-season games.

16. Normalus

Normalus Member

He made 7/7 FT's this season, and then missed two in a row. That was disappointing. Some defensive issues, and missed two open 3pt attempts. Still, assist to Smith was priceless.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Outrebounded by Casspi but overall solid game.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think it may be time to tell D-Mo not to take those three point shots. He just doesn't have a very good shooting touch.

Other than that he is looking better out there. I think he is ready for regular NBA minutes. Going to have to fight for them all season though with Jones and Casspi playing so well and Asik coming back before the regular season begins!

19. crash5179

crash5179 Member

DMo has been solid all pre-season and his offense has really been good. The thing that has been really nice is his rebounding and defense. He is still the Rockets best post player on offense.

20. Normalus

Normalus Member

if Asik is not healthy till next game - DMo will start along with Beverley against Orlando.