1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Let's see... he's significantly better at shooting (very important on the Rockets and MDA's offense), scoring (very important considering we've been looking for a scorer behind Harden), getting to the line and making his FT's (pairs up very well with Harden's game) and consistency (multiple seasons of productivity compared to less than one). He is marginally better at rebounding as well. This alone already makes him far more valuable than D-Mo. D-Mo is better at passing (could be huge in MDA's offense), posting up, and being a positional defender. Again, money talks. I don't see any teams throwing money at D-Mo. Do you?

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He has had a back injury and he's just not good enough that people are willing to throw money at him when considering both of those factors.

3. Houston79Astro

The Talent evaluation in this league is incredible poor. Terrible coaches padding their stats on the coast tails of great players have lead to a top heavy league and poor choices in personnel. His injury is scaring people off.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's waiting on the Rockets to finish their FA moves before signing back here. Kahwi Leonard did the same thing. We'll see what happens.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

ill bet he gets anywhere between 12-15 shots a game this season

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

maybe bc only this board builds up Dmo into something he really isn't, along with a back injury that still isn't 100%.

NBA teams aren't lucky enough to have DD as their team doctor who apparently has the 411 on DMo's health for the past 2 years and counting

7. nobie

nobie Member

Hes not gonna get 15shots a game to get his 17points = Fact.
    Hes not a better rebounder than DMo = Fact, like it or not.
    His career average is 2 FT per game (since all he is doing is shooting 15 jumpers per game) = overrated FT%, Fact.

Only reason Anderson is here is to stretch the floor for Harden, but i think this will be huge flop. But will see.

8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Anderson is not just a 3 point shooter. He is a scorer that can score on a high post up or after taking a couple of dribbles. He also has sneaky athleticism. DMO is not a pure scorer but he is a good post player if he regains his form. We saw glimpses of it 2 years ago as a C when Dwight went down and I hope DMO regains that form. If you are comparing that DMO to Anderson then maybe DMO develops to be an above average consistent player like Anderson but unfortunately DMO got hurt and was a shell of himself last year. I am not saying he can't get back to what he was pre-injury but they are completely different players and labeling Anderson as some sort of Matt Bullard clone is false.

As you said too, Anderson played for a scrub team and was still able to create his own shot and put up numbers. DMO has always had one of the best playmakers and floor spacers in the game in Harden on his team to help make him better. Who's to say DMO would have progressed in his career if DMO started off on a scrub team without James Harden?

There are players that elevate their games based on the talent around them. I think we fill find Anderson will be that type of player and DMO is that type of player. They fill a role perfectly when there is a star playmaker around them. I hope we re-sign DMO and he can get back to what he was 2 years ago but I am not going to denounce one guy just because I like the other more like so many love to do around here. Can't we just be glad we might have 2 above average bigs with mostly strengths and some weaknesses that know how to play the game? They are different players that can both contribute to winning basketball in a variety of ways when healthy.

DMO after returning from his back injury was average IMO but I do believe he will get stronger and get his core strength back to close to where it was pre-injury. If so, you will want DMO posting up with Anderson waiting on the wing for the kick out. Would love to see DMO and Anderson play in spurts just for the offense alone. DMO's defense was looking solid pre-injury and I think Anderson is a little underrated as a defensive player. At the very least he can hold his own.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

false. Ryno is better at both rebounding and FT's not even close

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to FT's you are right, when it comes to rebounding, you are hilariously wrong.....which is usual.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

They are actually very similar in terms of rebounding. Ryan Anderson's rebound totals don't reflect his actual rebounding skills because of where he plays on the floor. Percentage of total rebounds though he's similar to DMO. (Neither is great)

From an offensive perspective though he has consistently been a very good offensive contributor. Defensively not so much. However, DMO has never had a season where he was as much of an offensive contributor as Ryan Anderson has been.

12. nobie

nobie Member

I guess stats lie then. His average rb is no better than DMo and he only shoots 2ft/pg, his % is good, but his not taking any advantage over it.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

you have absolutely no room to talk when it comes to Dmo. You're in the exact same boat as DD as far as believing both of you are his personal doctors. And look at where he is the past 2 years. Oh and btw were all waiting for his easy $10 mil plus salary hes going to easily command. what a bunch of hilarious nonsense. The more you keep kidding yourself into thinking youre right the more im going to throw it in your face once Dmo gets a little money.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The numbers show Anderson to be a slightly better rebounder than DMo. Not by a lot, but slightly.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

so whats Dmo's excuse then cause he can't even avg 2 fts.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Just want to point out that Anderson is actually good on the post up as well. He's more offensively diverse than people here think. Someone posted some stats that showed he was actually very good for a big man in the post.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, I was right all along while you were embarrassing yourself over Terrence Jones. I'm pretty sure you're the one with "absolutely no room to talk" based on that.

18. nobie

nobie Member

Are you delusional or what? DMo was great a season ago (2014-2015). This was his recovery season after the injury (2015-2016).

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if you compare last year's numbers it shows that DMo was the slightly better rebounder so a statement that Ryan Anderson is better and it's not close is laughable.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I'm not sure how anyone thinks they have sufficient data to say DMo is a better rebounder. He only had one season of serious playing time and when you look at the year, his per36, per100 and total rebounding percentage are all worse than Ryan Anderson's career averages in those stats.