1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dog owners - please don't do this

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jan 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1885756.html

Edit: Site went down after I posted the link...but link should be good when site comes back up.

A woman here in Fort Worth took her three dogs (2 greyhounds and a puppy rottweiler) to a spot for a walk. There was a pond with a fountain where the water was iced over except where water was flowing from the fountain. Apparently, she let her dogs run loose. Dogs pretty much will go anywhere they perceive to be solid ground. So, two of the dogs (a greyhound and the rottweiler) run on the ice and fall in. The woman dies trying to save her two dogs from the icy pond. One dog lives and is still missing running around probably freaked out.

I was walking my two dogs just this last weekend thinking about this very scenario because the park I walk my dogs at had the same set-up...a thin layer of ice over the pond except where the fountains were moving the water. I kept thinking what a dog would do if it came up to the water and saw solid ice. My belief was that the dogs would try to walk on the ice and end up falling through. I was horrified to read this article not soon after. I knew that I would never let my dogs run free off a leash to find out. Dogs are not smart enough to avoid this scenario. It is up to the dog owners to prevent this type of scenario. She had to go in to try to save them...as most dog owners would probably do without a second thought. Just a horrible tragedy.

1 person likes this.
  2. Surfguy

For anyone that followed this touching story, there is at least a small bit of good news. Gollum, the Italian greyhound that witnessed the drowning of the two dogs and the owner and helped lead rescuers to the location where the tragedy happened, has been found and returned to the owner's house by a builder who spotted the dog in the area. For the grieving husband and family, I'm sure this is at least some solace as this dog was the last to see her alive and is a loved member of the family. I hope she knows this and is smiling down from heaven.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1897242.html

3. Castro

Castro Member

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N_IAb_XmVa8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N_IAb_XmVa8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

4. Castro

Castro Member

ah crap bro, im posting on 2 different forums at once and i got it mixed up.....my bad!!

5. Castro

Castro Member

dont know how to delete or edit?? help?

6. Surfguy

lol. don't worry about it. i thought you were making fun of something in this story (e.g. accidental drowning with van damme peeps falling in the water) and i was thinking you are quite the sicko.

7. kikimama

kikimama Member

Darwin's theory at work.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

If my dog fell through the ice, i would try an save her. This is the reason i never let my dog walk on ice, even if it is thick enough to skate on it. you never know what happens.

Luckily my dog follows my commands and wouldn't go near a place if I didn't want her to.

Sad story overal.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I probably would have jumped in to do the same thing.

In such a moment, rational thought goes out the window.

10. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Sad but true.