1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

does yao ming 'fit the bill' of being once a generation center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie_king, Feb 15, 2010.

1. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

once a generation centers are basically expected to bill first ballot hall of famers.

some examples include: hakeem olujuwon(although he might be considered to be a power forward), shaq, Lew Alcindor(kareem abdul jabbar), dwight howard, etc.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not yet... After next year, Yes.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

yes. we rarely see a center that big that is as skilled, mobile, and athletic as yao. if he didn't get any injuries...

4. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

I think he is still in the running and has alot to over come to get back health but assuming that yao does in fact come back to full form and being a 20ppg/10rpg of course he might be mentioned in the same breathe as 'once a generation' centers.

5. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

so here you are obviously going off of potential and hopes and dreams....

keep dreaming maybe it will come true. :rolleyes:

6. number22

number22 Member

Injuries and tracy mcgrady have wrecked his career so far. Still he's a unique combination of size and talent.

But it is hard not to doubt if he'll be back to his 20-10 self after this injury.

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Nah, I don't think so. He's probably the best 7'6" player ever, but that's not saying much considering his competition. Shaq is more of a one-in-a-generation center, really. Hakeem Olajuwon is. Does Tim Duncan qualify? If so, he is. Yao? Meh, no Championships, and his numbers aren't eye-bulging. If he can come back from injury and put up good seasons like Big Z did (except, of course, better than Big Z), we'll talk.

8. Karolik

Karolik Member

He certainly has the skills..But his durability..i'll say no

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yao Ming doesn't belong on that list, and neither does Dwight Howard.

10. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

well while you are at it why not blame steve francis for wrecking his career early-on during the rudy t years...oh, but wait...Yao was healthy and a scrub back then. :rolleyes:

11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

who is the best center in the game right now in your opinion?

you have to be out of your mind not to believe that dwight howard isn't a once a generation center.

dwight howard averaged 20 rpg during the 07-08 playoffs my friend.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh no, It's one of "these" guys...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Hmmmmm...not yet.

14. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Not just no, HELL NO. Any of the truly great centers would humiliate Yao. Stop overrating him just because he plays in an era where Chris Kaman can make the all star game.

15. heyangw

heyangw Member

Look at DH's horrible offensive skills. You are embarrasing Shaq and Olujuwon if you put DH with them together.
    DH is a great center. But you are talking about once-a-generation center, right?
    BTW, DH got owned by Yao every time. None of the once-a-generation centers should get owned by any other center consistently.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In a playoff series, I'd take Duncan as my center over any other player, including Howard.

I'm not sure Howard even cracks the top 10 players in the game, and he's supposed to be a once-in-a-generation center? He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but he's not at that level.

17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

I can't argue with yao's potential and what he did prior to injury,however, yao has to return and be better than dwight howard in order to be mentioned in the same breathe as "once a generation centers".

It might not be that Yao has a goal to be a "once a generation center". Ok, fine I will concede that argument,however, when yao returns it should be championship or bust.

Maybe Yao needs to only be better than gasol. Ok, I will concede that argument, but Yao has to be a better force than kobe is for the lakers, Yao has to be a better force than carmelo is for the nuggets, or a better force than tim duncan (albeit he's near to the end of his career) is for the spurs.

18. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Sure, centers like Olajuwon would topple Yao with speed and agility, but I would LOVE to see Yao play against Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, etc.

I think Yao IS once-in-a-generation because the dude is 7'6", and not a walking stiff.

The ability to fade and shoot is unheard of for anybody past 7'2". Not to mention the FT shooting.

There's been other players above 7'4" before, but to be a CHINESE* 7'6" guy to have that kind of mobility and shooting touch is unheard of.

*What's that have to do with it, you noob? Well, little known fact...asians aren't really known for their athletic ability...

19. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I just know it will be a long time before we see a guy Yao's height that can produce like him. Most guys his size look like they can barely run. Watching some of the stuff Yao does, it's actually quite agile for a man his size.

20. blink

blink Contributing Member

not now, not ever. stop being delusional if you think he is