1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does this team need a trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pradaxpimp, Aug 21, 2003.

1. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

If you look at our current squad, we have all the pieces of a championship team.

Here's why. Look at the 99-00 Lakers. They had pieces very similar to our team of today.

Yao is somewhat like Shaq. But he is far from reaching his potential. But in a couple of short years, I think he'll be close to Shaq's level of play. Maybe not pure dominance in scoring, but also doing everything else such as passing.

Steve is just like Kobe. Both are ballhogs at times, but can score with the best of them. Steve has more responsiblites such as getting everyone involved. Kobe plays more D though.

Glen Rice is our Cuttino Mobley. Both were extremely adequate as go to guys on both teams. I think Cat is a better Defensive Player, but not quite the shooter compared to Rice when its a spot up. Cuttino adds more pressure inside while Glen Rice relieves some of the pressure teams can pack in.

Mo Taylor, Eddie Griffin and Robert Horry, Horace Grant and A.C Green(from the latter Championships) Mo can play inside when he wants, nothing that those forwards Lakers could do. But their powerforwards could hit the open jumpshot which Mo doesn't prefer over his own creation and Griffin likes to brick everything. The Lakers pf's all played great D without having to double their man too much. All of them were adequate rebounders as well. Right now if we were to go into a championship game, I think Eddie would be more suited to start because of the rebounds and weakside help.

Kelvin Cato is a way better back up then Travis Knight or John Salley. Cato is way more athletic and even with out his offense, he can still get up and get a few alley oops from Steve.

Rick Fox is our Adrian Griffin. They both play D and don't require the ball, and will hit the open shot. The only thing we're missing is Vanessa Williams in the Stands. And trust me, its a big deal if she's not in our stands.

X-Factor-Ron Harper is our Pike or Hawkins. Harper hit some clutch J's in the Portland series, but he is a moderate mix of Pike and Hawkins. Hawk can hit the open J way better than some of our starters and he plays with Tenacious Defense. Pike has a lot more qualites that mesh well with our offense such as stretching it out, but the jury is still out on his ability to keep with his player on the opposite Floor.

Moochie Norris is the Lakers floor wipers. We know why he's out there (to get paid). We just want them to hurry up and get off the floor.

This is to all those who are wishing for a huge blockbuster trade. Maybe we don't need to trade. Maybe we do. Lets give Van Gundy one year before we Jump ship.

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If Glen Rice is our Cuttino Mobley, who is our Glen Rice.

3. pradaxpimp

lol, I have no idea.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Roger, Roger. Do we have clearance, Clarance? What our vector, Victor?

5. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

You guys are killing me softly! :D

6. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Like dude, I am one of the biggest Houston homers ever, but Yao is not gonna be close to Shaq's play in a couple of years and Steve will probably never be as good as Kobe. Those are just facts.
    That being said, we could possibly use a trade to help us. It wont be the end of the world if we dont. I think we can make the playoffs w/ the current squad. We have addressed a couple of weaknesses. We still have a couple more. I love Mo, but we could use a real banger. Yao is too nice, and so is Eddie. We need a strong, mean MF. Not necessarily a thug, just one who will leave marks on your body when u r done playing against him, like B. Grant did to Yao a couple of times last year. Also, add more defense in the backcourt.
    :cool:

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no, those are opinions.

alot of people around here cant seem to tell the difference tho, so Im not surprised you are having trouble with it also.

:cool:;)

8. coonhunter

coonhunter Member

no trade needed

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How about this: Cuttino Mobely is our Glen Rice and Glen Rice is our Brian Shaw.

10. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

only way i make a trade is if we get to improve one of forward spots either a bruising starting 4 or a quality starting 3

11. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

lol whos moochie then?

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Lakers' ball boy...

13. chinese

chinese Member

"Imaging there is no Glen Rice....",says Morpheus.
    Neo:"wow, I am the Cat then, I am <B>the one</B>."

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I don't know about a trade, but we need a SF.

15. MONON

MONON Member

No trade needed until we find out who's going to do what under JVG. Let the players show what we need!

16. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

So u think Yao will avg. 27 and 11 in a couple of years? Damn, i hope u r right.....

17. pradaxpimp

I think we are sufficient at the SF spot. Most teams don't have a SF. People usually fall in the PF or SG spots. Even if we need one, I'd opt for Hawkins or A. Griffin because they does so much of what we need along with our starters. They are not going to let their man loose and their going to hit the open J. We have enough options to score as it is. If not Steve, then yao, if not yao then cat. It's hard to manage three good scorers especially when u have 2 identical offensive players. On top of that, what if the starting five also included mo taylor whose gunna ask for the ball ( we pay him that much money primarily to score)?

18. pradaxpimp

19. pradaxpimp

Yao will be good in ways that Shaq won't be able to do. Such as passing is one good strength over yao. And shot blocking. He's much more intimidating to get a shot over since everyone knows hes 7'6 with Shaq's wingspan. He might not average the same number of blocks, but the opponent could think long and hard about whether or not to drive or pull up for a J