1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anybody else actively root against the USA in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Aug 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jacoby

jacoby Member

I don't question these athlete's work ethics or dedication to their craft, but I can't help but feel like in most instances these games mean more to the athletes representing smaller countries. A dude from a place called Tojo just won the country's first ever Olympic medal and apparently businesses have closed down to celebrate the win.

Many of these athletes will go back home to nothing. The USA and other first-world competitors have comfortable lives to go home to.

I'm actively rooting against Team USA in basketball. Those guys all have hundreds of millions in the bank and are playing against guys who have nothing. A medal would mean so much more to the players of like Croatia or Brazil.

Am I alone?

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Which question are you answering? Do you root against the US? Or is jacoby alone?

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Youre definitely not alone. Ive done the same thing but its not so much rooting against Team USA, its more rooting for the classic underdog tale and what could be.

A good example would be the guy from Kuwait but had to run independent since his country wasnt able to participate. Story like these are feel good stories and we need more of them.

Its nice to be so dominant a country as a whole but man its like watching the yankees win so many damn titles again and again. It gets mundane.

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Strange question if you are an American. If Lochte wasn't a Gator, I'd consider rooting against him bc he's such a db, but other than that no.

And basketball was probably the wrong example to use for the other guys having 'nothing'. They are all pros, whether in the NBA or overseas. They aren't exactly starving.

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I found myself rooting for USa.

1. Bull**** on that track race where the chic just dove in.
    2. Bull**** in that gymnast girl that just spun 36o standing up. There was no difficulty on that.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I kinda want to see Team USA lose in basketball but that's just because I know Durant, Green, and Klay are going to get absolutely roasted online if/when it happens.
    Want to see more Warriors L's lol.

1 person likes this.
  9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Maybe not actively against USA, but I always find myself cheering for athletes from the DPRK and Iran. Tremendous heart from the competitors regardless of what their governments are like. This is especially true in olympic weightlifting

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I root for Harden and Husein Bolt.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No way.

USA USA!!

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah I want to see Durant lose

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

I wish that Puerto Rican girl didn't win. My timeline has been flooded with VAMOS!!!!

I didn't even know this many of my friends were Puerto Rican.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm rooting against you in your bike across America

#15 Haymitch, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I will always root for USA basketball. I get why some people won't, but I'm able to forget about my hate for certain NBA players when they play for the USA. I feel like these guys don't need to play for the national team. So I respect the guys that decide to actually do it.

I do like that we're not blowing away every other country like we did in the 90's. Much more competitive now that almost every team has several NBA players on the roster. That's the way it should be.

I will admit that I kind of feel like basketball is OUR sport. We invented it. I'm glad it's so popular around the world....but it's still OURS. So yeah...I think it's only right that we win the gold every 4 years. :)

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This team USABB? Nah I don't really care if they win or lose. They kind of suck tbh and are lucky they are playing teams past their prime in ESP and ARG.

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

A Canadian invented it.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hello comrade!

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

While watching the Olympics this year I've been occasionally picking some random athlete from another country and telling my wife or whoever else I'm watching with that I just read about them, and I'll make up some sob or amazing backstory.

It worked every time for about the first day or two.