1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Do you throw away the first-round pick for Payton?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Poll is up on the front page:
    http://www.clutchfans.net

If Sura is out a significant amount of time, do you go for a guy like Gary Payton?

The "buzz" in papers and such has always been that Danny Ainge is holding out for a first round pick for Payton. Both Payton and Cassell are being shopped quite a bit, and most likely one or both will be moved. I don't believe in trading away our first round pick, but we have been playing very well, which means our draft pick is sliding. There are players to be had in the 20's, no doubt, but there are also a lot of teams these days trying to get out of those picks because they are 3-4 guaranteed deals.

If there is any way to get Payton without sacrificing the first rounder, I'm 100% for it. I don't worry about his ego, chemistry killer or any of that. He's a half-season rental, with a slim chance of more if it works out.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't know. If we know for sure about Sura's current state. Then I would say yes.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

NO, NO, NO.

No 1st rounder for Payton. He is still a good player, but I'm tired of watching our 1st picks fly out the door for nothing. Ainge is holding out for a 1st rounder and I doubt he gets it. Payton is too old and carries a little too much bagge for my liking.

This was a tough loss tonight.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I wouldn't. Assuming we have Payton, we may get out of the 1st round. If we don't make a trade and Sura's out, we'll probably still make the playoffs but just barely. Either way, we aren't serious contenders.

I would trade the pick for Carlos Arroyo (assuming no salary cap restrictions) who is a legitimate starter playing backup. He's young, confident, and doesn't have a terrible contract.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm sure the temptation is there and we are desperate for help but I would hold on to the pick. We need players for the future. Payton is doing well and would be fine for the rest of the season but I wouldn't give our pick away.

#5 saleem, Feb 22, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I say yes because I don't think this years draft will be very deep.

7. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

take a second mortage out on toyota center

but for God sake , don't trade the first round pick away

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

No way. I know Sura is a HUGE part of the team, but there is no need to do anything extremely drastic right now.

I'm sure we can find a decent, cheap pick up somewhere. Maybe a Frank Williams who went from playing a ton of minutes in NY to rotting on the IR in Chicago behind a slew of young PGs. Maybe a Steve Blake could be had. There are some options out there to be had without throwing away out 1st in a desperate move.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That's it in a nutshell for me too. I just don't think you make deals to send away potentially valuable assets (players, picks, etc) unless you think what you are getting back will help you to either:

1. Win a title or contend NOW.
    2. Provide help and depth into the future.

Payton doesn't do either of those. We aren't going to the finals this year with or without him and he won't be here after the end of the season. In essence, you'll be tossing out a pick for no real improvement.

10. Random.

Random. Member

No.
    Payton is no longer what he was, he's old, his defense is gone, and his passing isn't as sharp.

If he were the Payton of old, you could make a case for it, but now he's just the old Payton.

11. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I dont know, I really wont be happy or sad either way.. It's a 50/50 call for me...

12. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

This whole Sura thing is killing us..but still you gotta pass on Payton. The guy is just too old and we gotta get young prospects who can help us in the future, were not gonna do much damage in the playoffs

I hope the Sura thing isn't too serious

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Trade the pick........

After watching this team come together this season, it is apparent that we are a team that is going to make some noise in the playoffs. We are bonafide contenders, last year we were good, but obviously not even close to this status. With Sura going down (for at least 2 weeks you have to think) and Mcgrady, Wesly and Sura playing heavy minutes, I do not think it is a safe bet to wait for Sura and go with Ward/Strickland/Barret for the time being and the backup job. I would be fine with 1 of those 3 being a backup, but (not to knock on him) we may be one 80th game Sura injury away from being first round fodder. As VC pointed out tonight, Mcgrady needs to be away from the ball and with Yao often needing a sharp pass to get the highest percentage shot available, a point guard that is above Ward/Strickland/Barret and maybe even Sura's quality. I just dont know if we wanna bet on Sura's health this year. If our roleplayers were younger I would say maybe, but we are prime for a run in the playoffs this year. Obviously we have no chips to trade though. Mutumbo (our only expiring contract) is valuable to us and in my mind virtually untradeable. (at this point). We arent going to get a good young point guard for anything we have. The only thing we have being our first round pick and if that and the TE would get us Van Exel or Payton then do it, even if it just for a year or 2. I know you can get a solid player a lot of the time with the 20th pick, but with our core, we will be able to add a few solid young players by FA in the next year or 2. I think that the draft pick can get you something, maybe it would not even be a pg, but some sort of solid backcourt player is probably needed if we are serious about going deep into the playoffs this year. And I see no reason why this shouldnt be this teams goal this year.

T-mac initiating the O or carrying the ball up a few times a game is good in certain situation, but he should be away from the ball, shifting the D's focus that much more in the initial set up of the O. I think that the same goes for Wesley and Barry, a few times a game gives the D a different look, but they should be on the perimeter waiting for double teams. They have played point in their careers, but I would hate for it to come down to that in the playoffs or even for the next month. I like our team a lot, but selling the pick for something may be a good investment at this point.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No... I want them to actually get a shot at getting a draft right, now that they're finally in the position to fill a need with the draft (either a PG or a PF... that's it).

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

I'd say 50-50.
    I really don't mind Payton. I would do it if Sura is really down. I thikn Payton would be good..

But...I'd rather get a guy like Arroyo..younger guys like him..but can we get any?

I guess we have to be patient and just go into the draft trying to find some good players like the Texans do :p

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

No, trading the pick for Payton is not a smart move.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

I had to work late, so I missed everything. What happened to Sura? Is he out for the season? How? I don't understand, and the thread on the subject is not much help. What a shocker.

I say NO to Payton, especially for a "1." The Rockets need to build for the future.

Sura makes this team go, without him the Rockets are in SERIOUS trouble. He is like the HEART of the team. TERRIBLE news. How did he get hurt?

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gary Payton?

No.

19. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

If we have to throw in a 1st for Payton, Celtics better work a way to include Welsch or somebody to help balance the deal out.

20. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

I feel the same way. If Sura is out for an extended period of time then we are really screwed, however, that doesn’t mean we should trade away our pick for a guy who will most likely only be here for 1/2 a season.

On the other hand if we get GP and then Sura does get back we could actually contend for the title. Even if we only make it to the second round then the pick is in the low to mid 20s so it’s no guarantee that we will get someone who can actually contribute.

It’s a tough call. I hope CD makes the correct decision.