1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Do you think Gov. Perry is doing a good job with Hurricane Ike

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROCKET RICH NYC, Sep 21, 2008.

?

Do you think Governor Perry is doing a good job with Ike Relief efforts

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

I was having this discussion with my wife today. I haven't been in Texas long enough to know how Perry has done as Governor. My wife doesn't believe he is doing a good job with relief efforts and doesn't think he's a very good Governor. Thoughts?

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You'll find that even the staunchest conservatives agree that Perry has been an atrocious Governor. From the outside looking in, I'd say Perry's done an adequate job at mobilizing the National Guard folks pre-Ike and getting relief efforts started afterwards. Of course, the folks in Houston probably have a better idea.

As a side note, I was impressed with Congressman Nick Lampson stepping in and getting 200 notebooks on loan from Congress so that folks could fill out FEMA aid applications online.

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I'm in Oklahoma, but my family is down there.

They told me I'd be proud of the way Houston handled everything, and from what I've read and seen on TV, I have to agree.

I also know that there has to be a big hand in this from a state level, so yeah, I'd say its an admirable job overall from top to bottom given the circumstances.

But again, I'm not there so I don't really know first-hand.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Was there ever any confirmation on the rumor a few years back that he was caught messing around with a dude intern? I'm guessing no, even though it would be hilarious.

People kissed his butt so hard at a children's hospital fundraiser we were both at. Not just regular platitudes. People giving him credit for the booming Texas economy and peoples' morals. It was weird. Picture Zell Miller at the convention all worked up giving compliments.

The one thing I liked that he did was the HPV vaccine bill. Of course I hate the idea of making people do anything with government authority but at least women in the future who would have otherwise died of ovarian cancer, wont.

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I liked that as well. Don't know if I agree that it ought to be a government-mandated thing, even though I thought it to be forward-thinking. Well....I don't know....are all vaccines required by law? I'm not terribly informed about that.

I did hear that Perry required it because the makers of the vaccine made a huge campaign contribution to him or some such thing. Dunno if its true though.

Whatever. I didn't vote for him.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

As much as I do not like Governor Goodhair, I think that he has done a good job in regards to Ike.

I believe that Bill White and Ed Emmott have done an outstanding job as well.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Perry does a good job with these hurricanes -- they seem to motivate him to actually do some work.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What has he done? I have an idea of what Mayor White has done and what FEMA has done. I don't know Perry's contributions.

There was some kind of flub on running the PODs, where White thought the State was running it and the State saying it was a local responsibility. That doesn't make the State look that great.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He looked good in his work shirt and custom, "Hurricane Ike 08" 'golf cap.
    I know I feel a lot more confident after seeing him on TV.

10. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Screw perry.

It looks like White has done well, but I'm not home.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I think White did well.

I think Perry didn't do much of anything (except the whole media blackout fiasco).

I think Lyda Ann sucked arse.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The fact that there has been relatively little national media coverage of post-hurricane life in Houston leads me to believe that someone is doing a decent job. Or should I draw a different conclusion from that?

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I think Perry has tried to do a pretty poor job as governor, but he keeps getting held in line by the better executives around him. (Michael Williams, Susan Combs, Todd Staples, and especially Jerry Patterson are some of the best leaders we've ever had in this state.) Perry's done a very good job in both of the major hurricane responses during his terms, and I think his response to Rita, especially compared to Blanco's nightmare two weeks earlier, kept him elected in 2006.

14. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

You sure it wasn't because he did a sit-in on the drums with ZZ Top during the last concert in the Summit?

15. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

For some people, anything less than having a government disaster relief agent knock on their door with goodies in hand, is unnacceptable.

Not pointing fingers, but the affected area is HUGE.