1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you live in the loop or outside of the loop?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Sep 2, 2013.

?

Are you a city dweller or suburbanite?

1. Under 30, live inside loop (or nearby)

36 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Under 30, live in suburbs

41 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Over 30, live inside loop (or nearby)

21 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Over 30, live in suburbs

30 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Magnet systems were specifically designed to insulate some inner city residents from the real and ongoing conditions I brought up; and since they're necessarily finite and selective, most parents have to evaluate suburban migration as an option.

2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I live near city center/memorial city mall. I don't really consider it the suburbs, but others do.

We don't have kids yet, but I'm assuming even when we have one, we won't jet straight to the suburbs. We're zoned to Spring Branch ISD and we have a brand new elementary school in our neighborhood, so we might stick it out.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We were lucky enough to have both our kids go to magnet middle and high schools. My daughter has one year left in high school, and my son just graduated from an excellent college with 2 degrees. Yes, magnet schools are selective. There is testing involved simply to get in, but income is not that great a factor. It certainly wasn't for us. The funny thing to me is that going to a magnet school wasn't our idea. Someone from the AISD magnet program gave a talk to the 5th graders at my son's elementary school. He came home and, out of the blue, said he wanted to go to a magnet middle school. It was a great decision. Any of you out there with kids who are in public schools, check out the magnet programs, if your district has them. Our experience has been outstanding.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm in Cypress. There are times that I wish we were closer to the loop so their would be less traffic issues. Other times, it is nice being away from the city.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Sure (though it is the cynical interpretation of the motives), but this thread is about us individual posters. And you said more or less that all respectable middle class families would flee to the suburbs because of the subpar educational options. And, I'm just piping up to tell you it's not so. Sure, rich people stay in town and use private schools. Sure, poor people stay in town and send their kids to bad public schools. Sure, there's plenty of middle class people fleeing to suburbs for the schools. But, it's not an impossible proposition for a middle class family that values education to stay in town too. Your assertion is overly broad, cynical, and unfounded.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Grew up in the burbs (Cypress) and loved it. Lived inside the loop (Heights) during my single days and loved it. Now married with kids and living in the burbs again (Kingwood) and loving it.

To each his own. Not sure why these threads always get so contentious but it's always fun to watch.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Do you realize how much it costs to raise kids inside the loop now?

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Similar.

Grew up in League City (after escaping Texas City while in kindergarten)

Spent a few years in Med Center, then Memorial.

Now live in NW Houston, near Copperfield/Cypress.

No kids, but I've only got a couple years before I have no choice in the matter. With three (3!) dogs, having a bigger inside space + back yard was too important to stay in the Memorial area (with my salary, at least).

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

You're right near the Beltway. If that's not the suburbs then I'm not sure what to tell you.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I didn't assert it was impossible; furthermore the OP was looking to reinforce a thesis that people were moving back to cities: which he then tried to back up by falsely insinuating racial bias on my part. Also, several people here discuss their general opinions or assumptions about city or suburban living in addition to discussing their own situation, so my stating those same opinions is completely germane to the discussion. The timing and terminology used to describe and initially magnet schools, the 50 years of subsequent suburban development and statistics regarding inner city school performance make my assertions relevant and reasonable.

11. professorjay

professorjay Member

You live in an area different than me. What are you going to do about it a**hole?

FWIW, I've never even lived in Houston...so technically I'm outside the loop.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I am only 23, so it was not too long ago that I grew up inside the loop. I realize its more expensive, but for me personally, I would rather be close to things and live in a smaller place/have no yard. Being able to walk places or drive no longer than 5 minutes is a huge plus for me, worth giving up the yard and space.

Cost is definitely a concern, but if I could afford it (which I definitely could not arm) , I would definitely prefer to raise my kids inside the loop.